Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Florence Lawrence: the First Movie Star

Guest dredagain

Very interesting. I wonder what brought so many Canadians south, gravity maybe. With so much talent in Vaudeville, etc. Florence, Mary Pickford and Norma Shearer definately beat the odds!

Roddy McDowell had a marker placed on her neglected grave sometime in the 90's- 'The Biograph Girl- The First Movie Star.' Wonder what's on L.B. Mayer's grave...

Unmarked or hidden, that would be sad.

There was a film historian on CBC radio a few weeks back talking about Florence and you filled out the story. She was yet another person marketed as a product with shrewd trickery and that had to have lasting effects. If it ain't greedy directors it was those freaks of nature known as stage mothers! Flo's inventiveness (like Gloria Swanson who wanted to patent luminescent paint) is a lasting legacy to her intelligence, as you said in your article.

I'm sure I have never seen Florence Lawrence but a few of her early films have survived and are available in various DW Griffith collections.....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings