Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Studio era stars that haven't had SUTS tributes

• 1 year later...

I have been watching some of Richard Todd's British films. He also made several fine motion pictures in Hollywood.

He'd be such a great choice for a Summer Under the Stars day in August.

I think what I like about him so much is the way he combines intensity with vulnerability.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 7.52.35 PM.jpeg

• Like 1

This is an amazing list.  Some names I am surprised to see!   Like:  Lewis Stone, Mary Pickford, Mae West, S.Z. Sakall,  & Burl Ives; just to name a very few.  I know that many from this list are not 'headliners' but still extremely significant in our movie history.  I hope more names come off your list Mr TopBilled during SUTS 2020...

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Terri Williams Palos said:

This is an amazing list.  Some names I am surprised to see!   Like:  Lewis Stone, Mary Pickford, Mae West, S.Z. Sakall,  & Burl Ives; just to name a very few.  I know that many from this list are not 'headliners' but still extremely significant in our movie history.  I hope more names come off your list Mr TopBilled during SUTS 2020...

Thank you Terri...I hope so too!

• Like 1

This list is VERY useful.  There are so many people on it whose names should be included for the next "Summer Under the Stars".  There are some names on it I'm not even familiar with, most of whom are probably supporting character actors.   However, there are three leading stars of classic movies whose names are not on that list that I'm VERY surprised had never had a "Summer Under the Stars" salute so far, and I believe are each finally due to have one this August -

Jack Carson - He's been in a number of WB films, like the ones with Doris Day of the late 1940s and the early 1950s, and TCM has the rights to all of those.  He's one of my favorite comedic actors, and I feel that he deserves a day dedicated to him already.

Robert Taylor - This one really surprised me.  He was a very prolific actor during Hollywood's "golden age", and one of MGM's leading men of the 1930s and 40s.  Many of his films are frequently shown on TCM, so it's about time that Mr. Taylor gets a day-long tribute in August.

Eleanor Powell - If Robert Taylor will get a "Summer Under the Stars" salute, then so should his regular co-star of MGM's  "Broadway Melody" pictures of the 1930s.  Ms. Powell is someone that I had always felt was very underrated, especially since she was often overlooked because of Ginger Rogers (who, mind you, is a great tap dancer who I also really admire).  Of all of Fred Astaire's on-screen dancing partners, Eleanor Powell has got to be the one most people seem to forget about.  It's such a shame, because she was SO talented.  I strongly feel that this woman deserves a "Summer Under the Stars" salute already.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, SummerStars said:

This list is VERY useful.  There are so many people on it whose names should be included for the next "Summer Under the Stars".  There are some names on it I'm not ever familiar with, most of whom are probably supporting character actors.   However, there are three leading stars of classic movies whose names are not on that list that I'm VERY surprised had never had a "Summer Under the Stars" salute so far, and I believe are each finally due to have one this August -

Jack Carson - He's been in a number of WB films, like the ones with Doris Day of the late 1940s and the early 1950s, and TCM has the rights to all of those.  He's one of my favorite comedic actors, and I feel that he deserves a day dedicated to him already.

Robert Taylor - This one really surprised me.  He was a very prolific actor during Hollywood's "golden age", and one of MGM's leading men of the 1930s and 40s.  Many of his films are frequently shown on TCM, so it's about time that Mr. Taylor gets a day-long tribute in August.

Eleanor Powell - If Robert Taylor will get a "Summer Under the Stars" salute, then so should his regular co-star of MGM's  "Broadway Melody" pictures of the 1930s.  Ms. Powell is someone that I had always felt was very underrated, especially since she was often overlooked because of Ginger Rogers (who, mind you, is a great tap dancer who I also really admire).  Of all of Fred Astaire's on-screen dancing partners, Eleanor Powell had got to be the one most people seem to forget about.  It's such a shame, because she was SO talented.  I strongly feel that this woman deserves a Summer Under the Stars salute already. 

Glad you found it useful. I will go back to the original list and add Jack Carson's name. 

Robert Taylor and Eleanor Powell have had Star of the Month retrospectives. But yes, they should also have a day in August. I will add them into the original list as well.

As for your comment about character actors, I only included them if they had leads in "B" films and strong supporting roles in "A" films. People who typically played minor supporting roles or never had a lead in any picture did not get included (Ellen Corby comes to mind).

Was Eleanor Powell really a "Star of the Month"?  You wouldn't be getting her confused with "Eleanor Parker", would you?  Sometimes I get the two names mixed up myself.  If that hasn't happened yet, then I would really like to see her have a month dedicated to her and her movies.

5 minutes ago, SummerStars said:

Was Eleanor Powell really a "Star of the Month"?  You wouldn't be getting her confused with "Eleanor Parker", would you?  Sometimes I get the two names mixed up myself.  If that hasn't happened yet, then I would really like to see her have a month dedicated to her and her movies.

I just checked...you are correct...Eleanor Powell did not get honored yet as SOTM. 

But Robert Taylor did, twice...in 2001 and in 2010.

It's okay.  It's just as easy a mistake to make like confusing the names Marie Wilson and Marie Windsor, which doesn't help the fact that they both appeared in "THE STORY OF MANKIND". 

On the topic of character actors getting recognition for SUTS, I would like to see a day dedicated to Henry Travers.  He's co-starred in films like "MRS. MINIVER" and "THE BELLS OF ST. MARY’S", but of course, the one movie that he's best known for, "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE", would not be shown since TCM never had the rights to air it.  Another good character actor to highlight would also be Louise Beavers.  I thought she was excellent in "IMITATION OF LIFE" with Claudette Colbert.  She's another underrated star.  I guess it's because people often get her confused with Hattie McDaniel.  It makes sense, since the former was a possible contender to play the role of Mammy in "GONE WITH THE WIND".

I did like it though back two Augusts ago when TCM debuted 14 star dedications for those who had never been saluted thus far for "Summer Under the Stars".  I liked seeing a day dedicated to Virginia Mayo.  I hoped for that year that she would get a day for her movies.

14 minutes ago, SummerStars said:

It's okay.  It's just as easy a mistake to make like confusing the names Marie Wilson and Marie Windsor, which doesn't help the fact that they both appeared in "THE STORY OF MANKIND". 

On the topic of character actors getting recognition for SUTS, I would like to see a day dedicated to Henry Travers.  He's co-starred in films like "MRS. MINIVER" and "THE BELLS OF ST. MARY’S", but of course, the one movie that he's best known for, "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE", would not be shown since TCM never had the rights to air it.  Another good character actor to highlight would also be Louise Beavers.  I thought she was excellent in "IMITATION OF LIFE" with Claudette Colbert.  She's another underrated star.  I guess it's because people often get her confused with Hattie McDaniel.  It makes sense, since the former was a possible contender to play the role of Mammy in "GONE WITH THE WIND".

I wasn't confusing Powell with Parker. I thought Powell had received a SOTM retrospective because if I remember correctly, she had a primetime spotlight where BORN TO DANCE and SHIP AHOY were shown.

As for the character actors, they have to be stars. Since this is Summer Under the Stars. A person like Ellen Corby, whom I mentioned earlier, was not a movie star. She was more of a TV star (when she was on The Waltons in the 1970s). But in movies, she was relegated to minor supporting roles usually, with the exception being her more significant performance in I REMEMBER MAMA. 

I guess when certain character actors have only appeared in very minor roles in films, TCM probably feels it's not worth having a whole day dedicated to them.  Still, character actors deserve as much recognition and appreciation as the leading men and women of movies.  I'm glad there was a month dedicated to character actors three years ago.

Certain leading actors and actresses who hadn't appeared in that many movies to be shown for a full day make it rather tricky for the network's programmers.  Now, I don't mean someone like James Dean who had only made three films, as well as a few occasional TV appearances, but there's people like Grace Kelly, who only made 11 films before retiring from Hollywood prior to her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco.  If she were to have a SUTS salute, I guess 11 films plus the footage of her wedding, which had aired on TCM, would be enough to fill in the 24 hour schedule.

• Like 1
Just now, SummerStars said:

I guess when certain character actors have only appeared in very minor roles in films, TCM probably feels it's not worth having a whole day dedicated to them.  Still, character actors deserve as much recognition and appreciation as the leading men and women of movies.  I'm glad there was a month dedicated to character actors three years ago.

Certain leading actors and actresses who hadn't appeared in that many movies to be shown for a full day make it rather tricky for the network's programmers.  Now, I don't mean someone like James Dean who had only made three films, as well as a few occasional TV appearances, but there's people like Grace Kelly, who only made 11 films before retiring from Hollywood before her marriage to Prince Rainier.  If she had a SUTS salute, I guess 11 films would be able to fill in the 24 hour schedule, along with the footage of her wedding, which HAD been aired on TCM before.

Grace Kelly did have a Star of the Month retrospective. They included some of her TV anthology work from the early 1950s, as well as a film like FOURTEEN HOURS (1951) in which she is not the lead and has a supporting role.

I agree that people like James Dean and Shirley Booth do not have enough feature films. However, their TV work can be included. And TCM could certainly repeat a film within that 24-hour period.

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Glad you found it useful. I will go back to the original list and add Jack Carson's name. 

Robert Taylor and Eleanor Powell have had Star of the Month retrospectives. But yes, they should also have a day in August. I will add them into the original list as well.

As for your comment about character actors, I only included them if they had leads in "B" films and strong supporting roles in "A" films. People who typically played minor supporting roles or never had a lead in any picture did not get included (Ellen Corby comes to mind).

I would love to see two of my favorite character actors Allen Jenkins and Edward Brophy each get their day. Do you consider their supporting parts to be significant enough to be given Star status for a day in August? And if either one ever had a lead in a B comedy mystery it be a terrific bonus.

3 hours ago, garovick said:

I would love to see two of my favorite character actors Allen Jenkins and Edward Brophy each get their day. Do you consider their supporting parts to be significant enough to be given Star status for a day in August? And if either one ever had a lead in a B comedy mystery it be a terrific bonus.

I don't see Allen Jenkins as a star. I don't think he ever had higher than fourth billing. He appeared mostly in B films. But that doesn't mean he's not worth lauding or his career not worth celebrating. He'd be worthy of a primetime spotlight, or a daytime birthday tribute, where three or four films in which he plays support are shown.

I don't know much about Edward Brophy's career to comment on him.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I don't see Allen Jenkins as a star. I don't think he ever had higher than fourth billing. He appeared mostly in B films. But that doesn't mean he's not worth lauding or his career not worth celebrating. He'd be worthy of a primetime spotlight, or a daytime birthday tribute, where three or four films in which he plays support are shown.

I don't know much about Edward Brophy's career to comment on him.

It would be nice for either one to have a  daytime birthday tributee. They don't do as many of them as they used to.

I've been thinking this for a while. Jeffrey Hunter deserves a SUTS day. King of Kings and/or The Longest Day would probably be included, crowding out other things, but the three John Ford films, Fourteen Hours, A Kiss Before Dying, and Jesse James, make a compelling schedule.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

I've been thinking this for a while. Jeffrey Hunter deserves a SUTS day. King of Kings and/or The Longest Day would probably be included, crowding out other things, but the three John Ford films, Fourteen Hours, A Kiss Before Dying, and Jesse James, make a compelling schedule.

I'm confused by your post. John Ford did not direct Fourteen Hours, A Kiss Before Dying or Jesse James.  Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, your post sounds as if you think he did. Maybe it's your punctuation that makes the post sound like that. Did you mean King of Kings, The Longest Day and Fourteen Hours would be shown Instead of 3 John Ford directed films ? because that would make more sense than the way the post reads now.

I do agree Jeffrey Hunter deserves a SUTS day. The Last Hurrah and Sgt. Rutledge and The Searchers ARE 3 films that John Ford directed with Jeffrey Hunter as star and co-star. Although,  as you mentioned, Fourteen Hours, A Kiss Before Dying and The Longest Day are all excellent films.

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm confused by your post. John Ford did not direct Fourteen Hours, A Kiss Before Dying or Jesse James.  Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, your post sounds as if you think he did. Maybe it's your punctuation that makes the post sound like that. Did you mean King of Kings, The Longest Day and Fourteen Hours would be shown Instead of 3 John Ford directed films ? because that would make more sense than the way the post reads now.

I do agree Jeffrey Hunter deserves a SUTS day. The Last Hurrah and Sgt. Rutledge and The Searchers ARE 3 films that John Ford directed with Jeffrey Hunter as star and co-star. Although,  as you mentioned, Fourteen Hours, A Kiss Before Dying and The Longest Day are all excellent films.

Don't be confused. It's a list. Perhaps this will help:
1. Three John Ford films ...
2. Fourteen Hours ...
3. A Kiss Before Dying ...
4. The True Story of Jesse James.

King of Kings probably should be included, if a SUTS day is scheduled, because JH is the star. I like The Longest Day, but those two films together would fill about 25% of a day's schedule.

9 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Don't be confused. It's a list. Perhaps this will help:
1. Three John Ford films ...
2. Fourteen Hours ...
3. A Kiss Before Dying ...
4. The True Story of Jesse James.

King of Kings probably should be included, if a SUTS day is scheduled, because JH is the star. I like The Longest Day, but those two films together would fill about 25% of a day's schedule.

Ok thanks, I think it was the way you punctuated your post. We're in agreement then. I'd watch if TCM aired all those Jeffrey Hunter films :) Liked him very, very much.  He died so young and tragically and should have gone on to make  more great films and have a full life. At any rate, good choice Brrrcold!

4 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Adams Rib, The Asphalt Jungle, Singin' in the Rain, Carbine Williams, The Big Knife, The Shaggy Dog, Sunrise at Campobello, Panic in Year Zero ... Jean Hagen deserves a SUTS day.

Yes, she'd be a good one. TCM honored her as Star of the Month before...in 2001.

One star I would like to see saluted for "Summer Under the Stars" would be Marie Windsor.  She's starred in several RKO noir films, usually B-rated pictures, but she's one of my favorites, and I suppose many others' like her, as well.  I think she should get a day long salute this summer.  I just really like it each year when TCM would finally get to feature an actor or actress who had never been saluted yet for "Summer Under the Stars".

• Like 1

On the topic of stars who SHOULD have a day long salute for "Summer Under the Stars", I've been wondering if it would be likely that either Leo Gorcey or Huntz Hall of the Bowery Boys could POSSIBLY get a day of their films.  I don't know if they had done any other movies outside of the Bowery Boys series, (with the exception of the Warners' crime drama films like "ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES", for instance) but it would be kind of interesting if either of them (or both) had a SUTS day.  I'm not so much into the "Bowery Boys" film series, which have been on TCM's Saturday Matinee ever since July, but I find both guys pretty funny and likeable.

I would also like to see Cyd Charisse get another day long salute, because, as I've mentioned several times before, there's a movie of hers called "MAROC 7", that I would be interested in seeing with her in it, and I would hope TCM could possibly show it.  It's from the late 1960s, and I would hope that there would be a chance that this movie would be seen on TCM (for the first time) during a SUTS salute to Cyd.   Sure, they would play her most well-known films like "THE BAND WAGON", "SILK STOCKINGS", and "PARTY GIRL", to name a few, but I would like to see this rarely seen film of hers on TCM for a SUTS day.  A few years back, when Ruby Keeler had a SUTS salute, the last film of the line-up shown was "THE PHYNX" from 1970.  This movie in particular was filled with many classic movie stars (oddly cast in a counter-culture rock and roll themed flick), and Ruby was one of them.  This was the first, and only, time this movie had ever been shown on TCM, so to speak.   I would hope "MAROC 7" would be shown if Cyd were to have a SUTS day in August.

• Like 1

I haven't looked at this list in a while, so things may have changed.

• Brian Donlevy, Leila Hyams, and  Lupe Velez have been honored within the last couple of years, so they can be removed.
  • Brad Dexter is missing. Of the original Magnificent Seven, only Brad Dexter qualifies. Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, and James Coburn were honored in the past. Charles Bronson, Horst Buchholz, and Robert Vaughn haven't been honored, but none of them qualify.
  • Victor Mature is missing.
  • Thanks 1