Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Studio era stars that haven't had SUTS tributes

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

I haven't looked at this list in a while, so things may have changed.

  • Brian Donlevy, Leila Hyams, and  Lupe Velez have been honored within the last couple of years, so they can be removed.
  • Brad Dexter is missing. Of the original Magnificent Seven, only Brad Dexter qualifies. Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, and James Coburn were honored in the past. Charles Bronson, Horst Buchholz, and Robert Vaughn haven't been honored, but none of them qualify.
  • Victor Mature is missing.

Good job! Didn't realize I had overlooked Victor Mature.

I just made those changes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my knowledge, I don't think Leslie Howard was ever honored for "Summer Under the Stars" yet.  I know that he was just "Star of the Month" two Junes ago, but I don't think he's gotten a full day of movies in August, thus far.  That's just as surprising to me as knowing Robert Taylor hasn't been saluted for SUTS either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SummerStars said:

To my knowledge, I don't think Leslie Howard was ever honored for "Summer Under the Stars" yet.  I know that he was just "Star of the Month" two Junes ago, but I don't think he's gotten a full day of movies in August, thus far.  That's just as surprising to me as knowing Robert Taylor hasn't been saluted for SUTS either.

Yes, Leslie Howard has not had a day in August either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dean Stockwell should get some consideration for SUTS. I know child stars can be a very qualified taste, but he appeared in many different types of movies so there is a range of roles to consider. And his career is/was very long - mostly in TV during his adulthood.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SummerStars said:

To my knowledge, I don't think Leslie Howard was ever honored for "Summer Under the Stars" yet.  I know that he was just "Star of the Month" two Junes ago, but I don't think he's gotten a full day of movies in August, thus far.  That's just as surprising to me as knowing Robert Taylor hasn't been saluted for SUTS either.

Yes,   Leslie Howard should be featured.     The good thing is that overall TCM features most of the films Howard was in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

Dean Stockwell should get some consideration for SUTS. I know child stars can be a very qualified taste, but he appeared in many different types of movies so there is a range of roles to consider. And his career is/was very long - mostly in TV during his adulthood.

Dean Stockwell would be an excellent choice. Like Roddy McDowall, a popular kid star in his own right, he appeared in many different types of movies. It would be nice for Stockwell, who turned 84 earlier this month, to have at least one SUTS day while he's still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would certain characters actors such as Frank McHugh, Henry Travers, or Mary Wickes qualify for "Summer Under the Stars" salutes?  I don't think these people had ever gotten top billing in any movie, but just only had supporting character roles. 

Just as the pattern follows for each "Summer Under the Stars" line up -

  • One silent film star
  • One black actor or actress
  • One contemporary-era actor or actress (someone who had started off in pictures no earlier then the 1960s)
  • One foreign film star

So, unless TCM had been doing this on some occasions, they should ALSO include one character actor or actress, as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SummerStars said:

Would certain characters actors such as Frank McHugh, Henry Travers, or Mary Wickes qualify for "Summer Under the Stars" salutes?  I don't think these people had ever gotten top billing in any movie, but just only had supporting character roles. 

Just as the pattern follows for each "Summer Under the Stars" line up -

  • One silent film star
  • One black actor or actress
  • One contemporary-era actor or actress (someone who had started off in pictures no earlier then the 1960s)
  • One foreign film star

So, unless TCM had been doing this on some occasions, they should ALSO include one character actor or actress, as well.

They have featured character actors and actresses. Thelma Ritter had a day. Charles Coburn had a day. Slim Pickens had a day.

With Ritter and Coburn, they had Oscar nominations. Coburn actually received an Oscar. So they're higher profile than some of the folks you mentioned above. 

They should actually have another monthly spotlight, at a different time of the year, just devoted to character players.

They have also chosen various child stars too. But nothing's set in stone and they vary the formula a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to silent film stars getting "Summer Under the Stars" salutes there are some underrated comedic actors I would like to see -

 

Harry Langdon

actor-harry-langdon-picture-id526873466?

 

Ben Turpin

circa-1935-studio-headshot-portrait-of-c

 

Larry Semon

circa-1915-headshot-portrait-of-american

 

Yes, these are the most unusual-looking actors ever, mostly because of their eyes (Harry and Larry have dark eye makeup and Ben's eyes are strictly crossed), but I'd be interested in seeing many of their pictures.  If not for "Summer Under the Stars", then maybe there's hope for a night of their films on "Silent Sunday Nights".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As TCM customarily plans a SUTS day for a foreign film star, I'd give one to Yves Montand. Great selection of dramas (esp. 'Z' and 'The Confession', both directed by Costa-Gavras), comedies and musicals, as well as some good titles filmed in English that would please some less patient viewers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...