Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I DO remember! That was when SNL was still this little cool show nobody really knew about. I love that clip, thank you thank you I just love both songs, and they were probably the best musical guests ever in the history of that show. Don't you wish you had been there, can you imagine? Awesome!

Though I am not particularly religious, I think it's really strange that my two very most favorite musicians were both very spiritual....George and Cat (I mean Yusuf). I am definitely an early seventies girl.

Hi Jackie!

I didn't appreciate 70s music at all as a kid but I've really started to like it. It's kind of an "antidote" against all the mechnized...mechanized Everything around us. The singers were more human and they tended to be more acoustic oriented, at least in the soft rock area.

I never realized Cat Stevens was English! Great song. I've never heard of Nick Drake before.

Here is another one I love. Van Gogh is one of my favorite artists, I visited his room in the little hospital in St. Remy two years ago and I was moved to tears. This song is a lovely tribute.

Oooh, thanks, mickee! I love those Cat songs, too. Pretty much everything he did.

and MissG- I am a blubbering mass of tears after that video. I always loved that song. I would love to do a Van Gogh tour some day. I have a thing about Provence (probably from reading too much Colette), and I sometimes feel that the warm air and vivid colors are healing. I would go there like a shot this week, with all this snow and northern greys and browns......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1RO2EI6OuM

Jack, if you do go to Provence you won't be the least disappointed. make it happen if you can, it's not so expensive if you plan it right and the memories will stay with you, fragrantly, forever. I can't get enough of that part of the world (and there are still places relatively left alone by tourism and development).

I wept to see the same olive trees Vincent painted.

"Sitting" was the only Cat Stevens song I really enjoyed. One of McLean's nicer songs was "Castles In The Air." It was the flip side of "Vincent." A later more relaxed recorded tempo made it even nicer.

To those of a certain age:

Any favorite "B" sides?

Good gosh! "B" sides! Wow.....I know there were lots, particularly The Beach Boys and The Beatles.Trying to remember what went with what 30 or 40 years later, whew!

I'll get back.

I believe "Warmth Of The Sun" and "Let Him Run Wild" were both "B" sides.

I know. I was trying to think of the B-sides of my favorite records, but I can barely remember the A-sides!

I remember my favorite as a child was The Fontane Sisters "Bouncy Bouncy Bally". Later, I had The Staple Singers "I'll Take You There" and Bill Withers "Lean on Me" (this represents the best of my taste at that time). I remember a Cher single that I loved the B-side, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, or what the A-side was. Maybe Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves? Halfbreed? I'm embarrassed to admit I had these.....

These were the reverse side of 45 rpm records. The "A" side was the hit single. The "B" side was often a cut from the album but sometimes it would be a new song just to fill out the back side. Once in a while you hit on a gem. There was one song per side.

Here is the "A" side "Hey Jude" from The Beatles."

Beatles_HeyJude.jpg

The "B" side for The Beatles would show half of an apple.

Jack - I posted this and then saw your answer so I thought I might leave in case anyone really did want to know.

Message was edited by: movieman1957

Movieman- That's ok. I was thinking there might be some poor youngsters out there who didn't know what they were!

I had a bunch of the Beatles, of course, and I was trying to think of what else, but it will take some time for me to remember, waaaay back that far!

SEE! I had that single, but I can't remember!

"Old Brown Shoe", maybe??????????????

AAAAAARGH! I'm actually enjoying this topic, although I'm finding out I've gotten "awful soft" in the head!

I know the flip side of "Let It Be" was "You Know My Name (look up the number)"

As strange a cut as The Beatles ever did. Brian Jones on clarinet.

The flip side of "Goodbye Yellowbrick Road" by Elton John was "Harmony".

I don't know if it was a better song or if the "A" side was overplayed. Pretty good song, though, "Harmony".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQ0Dis29DU

Message was edited by: mickeeteeze

I believe Revolution, Day Tripper, Eleanor Rgby, Strawberry Fields Forever all were, incredibly, "B" sides, and there are other such beatles hits .....but the alpha and the omega of a-b discussions is still the king's Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog

believe Revolution, Day Tripper, Eleanor Rgby, Strawberry Fields Forever all were, incredibly, "B" sides, and there are other such beatles hits ...

I would have to look to see which qualified but many of the Beatles hits in '65 and '66 were considered "Double A Sides." I think Billboard tracked each song based on information from retailers. Also both songs were so good that they were wach receiving a good deal of air play.

I do think "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" qualify but therest require some research. I'll try to have an answer tomorrow.

Linda Eder is one of my all tiem favorite singers ans the must have one of the clearest most crystal gorgeous voices in the world!!....next to julie andrews of course. heehee!

usually you dont hear a woman singing "man of la mancha", but listen to her sing it and youll want to jump up and sing it with her. she has a four octave range.

I never heard of Linda Eder, ButterTea. I learned something new today. :) She does have a nice voice---so much better than much of what I've heard on Broadway lately (they all sound alike for some reason).

Here is one I forgot to mention at the beginning---a song that's been a favorite since I first started studying ballet. My best friend and I used to play is over so many times it made everyone sick! I still adore it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O80b002XT0

I never heard of Linda Eder, ButterTea. I learned something new today. She does have a nice voice---so much better than much of what I've heard on Broadway lately (they all sound alike for some reason).

yes she has done lots of broadway, but sounds quit different than the ordinary broadway voice, and in fact married frank wildhorn, the famous music composer. he wrote many of her songs specially for her and they are so beautifu. there is one in particular i like and it is in opera style. usually i dont go for opera style, but his one is beautifully sung by linda, called "Voule Mon Age". she can do great gymnastics with her voice in that song.

in that "man of la mancha" song, i surprised myself one day by actually reaching the highest note she sung in it. i was so happy!!! i still can and it is always so fun to do that for fun!

Here is one I forgot to mention at the beginning---a song that's been a favorite since I first started studying ballet. My best friend and I used to play is over so many times it made everyone sick! I still adore it:

my mom loves this song actually, so i grew up with it also, and love it to pieces. i dont think i played it nearly as much as you have though. heehee! i learned something new too. ;)

in that "man of la mancha" song, i surprised myself one day by actually reaching the highest note she sung in it. i was so happy!!! i still can and it is always so fun to do that for fun!

I look forward to when I can YouTube you singing it at Carnegie Hall! :)

Dreams become realilties, m'dear. I have a friend who performed there once. Believe me, it's not impossible.