Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

These 80s groups were a refreshing break from disco.

Have to play my favorite, tho technically 1979..

[The Knack|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ded4MZVVAhE]

Awesome song. It became a huge hit all over again when it was featured in a Winona Ryder movie (is it "Reality Bites"?)

Speaking of 1979, here is a song from that year that that not only showed a real shift in pop music, it was also the first song (video) of a brand new channel called Music Television - aka MTV.

"Video Killed the Radio Star":

I would have never learned about Marshall Crenshaw without this message board. Thank you!

*Marshall Crenshaw*

Edited by: casablancalover on May 20, 2012 11:24 PM

I'm very familiar with the second clip but never heard the first. I really like it! I may give a listen to it again later and see if I end up downloading it on my iPod.

Funny your mention of the "message board music recommends": the other day finance recommended I listen to Edwin Starr's "Contact". I'm still not a disco fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I ended up liking this song so that I downloaded it and have listened to it on my walk... Thx, finance. ;)

(I love the drums at the beginning):

I never associated Edwin Starr with disco. I remember him for [War|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-2pNCZiNk] . Great song, for some of us in the day.

Here's another from the earlier period.

[25 Miles|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEMmewFj6k&feature=fvst]

Today's recommendation is probably the best new wave party song ever, the B52s' "Give Me Back My Man". Of course, some may say that that honor belongs to Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party".

Edited by: finance on May 21, 2012 10:03 AM

Edwin went a long way from "War" to "Contact"!

Speaking of New Wave, here was a song I particularly liked, by Depeche Mode:

Your mention of videos decided me to post this new wave gem after all. The lead singer was the source of endless laughter and derision for my friend and me (well, we were young teenagers at the time) because of his wild hairdo (it was supposed to be shaped like - wait for it - a seagull).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21JwyfGH3wE

Your link didn't play for me either, darkblue (YouTube is discriminating against U.S. citizens. Can we sue for that?). I looked at another link instead.

(Update - I posted an alternate link and then realized you had already done it.)

Edited by: EugeniaH on May 21, 2012 3:47 PM

Scottman, you seem to be the source of knowledge for obscure 80s bands :) - I've never heard of Comsat Angels or your previous entry, Slow Children. The SC song sort of reminds me of Missing Persons.

I thought of the name Slow Children, and how they must have taken the name from the common yellow street sign, which then made me think of other bands who have taken names from street signs, such as:

"The Caution Horses", album by the Cowboy Junkies (the common sign reads Caution Horses, a warning to cars)

And of course, the band Men at Work...

Damn. You picked maybe the one song of theirs that I don't like. How about "Another Nail in My Heart", "Pulling Mussels Fom a Shell", "Take Me, I'm Yours", "Is that Love?", "Cool for Cats",etc. etc.

Hah, I don't like the "Mussels" song. Maybe because I don't like mussels... I haven't heard or don't remember these other songs. Please post YouTube links! :) :)

Paul Carrack was a member of Squeeze and he went solo, putting out this sort of forgettable song in the 80s:

I have trouble doing that, for some reason. I recommend their first hit,"Take Me, I'm Yours". Very funny, and very haun arrangement. Find it.