Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

How about "Bobby's Girl" by Marcie Blaine, or "Blue Navy Blue" by Diane Renay (whose real name was Renee Sussman and who went to my high school.)

There's something about the refrain of "Bobby's Girl" that gets in my head, like an 'earworm', and it's hard to get rid of it. :) ("Bo-OOOBBY's girl...") But it's a good song. I liked hearing "Blue Navy Blue".

It's the Mashed Potato time!

Sorry for my compulsive posting. I need to get outside! If people like the song "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel, this is one of the best versions I've heard. It's 7:19 minutes long, but well worth the listen:

CBL, it's amazing, the timing of your post. I'm sitting here working on a journal entry, and I also just downloaded this song on iTunes:

One of my all-time favorite rockers. Straight rock didn't have many all-girl bands. New Wave had plenty. (Go-gos, Bangles, Bananarama, etc.)

*One of my all-time favorite rockers.*

Are you referring to our Wilson Phillips tunes? ...Okay, joke. I know you mean Heart. I love this band. They churned them out better than the "hair bands" of the 80s (er, that's another topic).

Here's another classic:

Thank you for the Marvelettes, It is a great song, filled with longing and hopefulness to me.

Martha and the Vandellas were another favorite for me. Since many folks consider this summer since school is out, here's two that I think fit the bill.

The last song brings up a scene I saw the last Memorial Day I spent in MN. There was, in another part of a cemetery where I visited my Grandmother-in-Law, a young family with an older woman tending the grave of someone, with flowers, and a picnic basket, and music softly playing from a boombox. I sensed it was a remembrance of happier times, while the kids played about and dad used a garden tool to groom the marker, and the mother and maybe her mother, talked and laughed reliving some story. I couldn't help but think that maybe those who passed on would rather we approach life like that, if they could tell us.

As we take a moment to remember those who've gone on before, remember not just the loss, which of course is sad, but the joy they brought while they were here.

Very beautiful sentiments, casablancalover. I can't add anything more to that!

I'm enjoying your (and darkblue's) music clips. I'm glad there's so much material out there; so many great songs and way too many are now nearly forgotten.

"He Was Really Saying Something", sez the Velvelettes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un13USj5PUo&feature=fvwrel

Hi there, pturman! Long time no read! ;)

Not a girl band, but a classic band with a wonderful girl singer:

Love these lyrics -

"Life is change

How it differs from the rocks" :)

I love that song. :) Grace Slick has the kind of voice that should sing anthems!

Here's something a bit more mellow, and not sounding like the Jefferson Airplane I'm familiar with:

Two songs I've always thought of together are "Live Wire" by Martha and "Crossfire" by the Orlons.........Contunuing my free association, and speaking of "Martha", how about Martha Davis and the Motels with, e.g., "Only the Lonely"? No, I won't go to Roy Orbison from here.

darkblue, what an excellent song! "Ferocious satisfaction" is a good description - I love Timi Yuro's voice.

finance, here ya go:

Martha and the Vandellas "Live Wire":

The Orlons, "Crossfire":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE16dXo-LUA

Then, jumping ahead a couple of decades, the Motels, "Only the Lonely":

One more Jefferson Airplane tune, because I haven't gotten them out of my system yet -

"We Can Be Together":

Okay, now I'm finished with them for a while.