Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

It's not the big time but I played and sang some of my own music in church. I got to do it the day we dedicated a new building. WIth the band accompanying me we did the song before about 800 people. That can be intimidating and excitiing at the same time.

Not having to mess up is one of the reason I started to write my own songs. If I messed up no one would know. Now I get people coming to me and asking if I wrote what they heard. (I always take it as a compliment.) I had a friend ask me to write her a song as she liked mine so well. Then her daughter asked me to do one for her. They loved me them, oddly enough.

At the moment I've been asked to do something for the band in a couple of weeks. I have something started but I'm not real keen on it. My music pastor will hear what I have tonight so I'll get a sense. I told him don't be shy about telling me if it stinks.

Most of the music I've written in the last ten years has been for church. It has been the only place I really have an outlet for it. I'm not always happy with them but people are very nice. I figure they don't have to say anything so when they do it's a wonderful feeling.

I've written songs for my wife. I sang and played a song I wrote for her at our wedding (nearly 24 years ago.) She still has me play it for her every now and then. My daughter wants me to write one for her wedding but I have lots of time to do that one.

You can call me Chris, most do.

April:

I play the piano. I'm ok at that but I'm a first class "noodler."

i think that is such a beautiful story! thank you for telling me Chris. :)

both of my parents play the piano too. they will play little duets every now and then for me and my little brother. well mainly me. my brother doenst really care for too much of that stuff. heehee! i try to play the piano, but am learning slowly with that.

i bet your songs are just heavenly to listen to.

i just love song-writing! it is a great way to let your feelings out and really write! one can write such beautiful songs with beautiful feelings.

> would have to look to see which qualified but many of the Beatles hits in '65 and '66 were considered "Double A Sides." I think Billboard tracked each song based on information from retailers. Also both songs were so good that they were wach receiving a good deal of air play.

I do think "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out" qualify but therest require some research. I'll try to have an answer tomorrow.

From what I can find, just for the record, different sources put "We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper", "Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby" and "Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever."

Sources include AOL, Billboard and Beatles expert Mark Lewison.

There, that's out of the way. Now back to our regular conversation.

Hi Tea! My friends and I used to play the soundtrack to *White Nights* over and over and I do remember this song!! OH my, I don't think I've heard it since the last time I watched the movie so many years ago. "What a trip" :P

Guess what! The May 2008 TCM schedule is up and it looks like Francis Albert Sinatra is the Star of the Month!! And TCM is airing his "Man and His Music" TV specials!! Fans of his MUST see these--they are extraordinary, really among the finest musical presentations in televison history and that's no exaggeration. The quality of the performances is equal to some of his best recordings. The best one, or at least my favorite, is airing on the 18th! It features him in duets with Antonio Carlos Jobim and Ella Fitzgerald!!

Here's the link to the schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=EST&oid=5/1/2008

And on the 7th they are playing all day and evening Frankie AND Coop films!!

(GASPS UNEXPECTEDLY)!!! april thank you for telling me this!!

oh goodie, a frankie month i cant miss any of his films playing! i have most of them, but i just lvoe when i get to see them on TCM with the rest of the world. heehee!

this is so exciting and with gary films too. no May will really be a merry month! "may, may, the merry month of may!" heehee!

Yes! Every day will be May Day! :D I'm so excited about all the music specials...and they are showing "Ol' Blue Eyes is Back"---I've never seen that one! Ooooh, I have to get lots of blank dvd-r's lined up!

This year is the 10th anniversary of Frank's death, so I guess that's the reason for the dvd releases and spotlight. It's a sad reason, but at least I'll get to see lots of his movies. I didn't check every single day, but I wonder if they are airing Assault on a Queen and The Naked Runner---they are so rare and really exciting films.

Yes! Every day will be May Day! I'm so excited about all the music specials...and they are showing "Ol' Blue Eyes is Back"---I've never seen that one! Ooooh, I have to get lots of blank dvd-r's lined up!

im going shopping tomorrow. heehee! i havent seen "ol' blue eyes is back" either. i really want to!

This year is the 10th anniversary of Frank's death, so I guess that's the reason for the dvd releases and spotlight. It's a sad reason, but at least I'll get to see lots of his movies. I didn't check every single day, but I wonder if they are airing Assault on a Queen and The Naked Runner---they are so rare and really exciting films.

i have seen The Naked Runner, but havent seen Assault on the Queen just yet. im hoping they will play that one too! that means i was 7 years old when he died!! poor frankie!!

• 4 weeks later...

Lafitte:

One movie where the music was a distraction for me was the 1961 version of "Backstreet." It was only that way because I knew the music but couldn't think of it. It hit me part way through the movie it was Brahm's 4th Symphony.

I don't recall your trivia question on "The Elephant Man."

My attendance of performances go back to the 70s and 80s. I got through a Beethoven cycle with the Baltimore Symphony. Later concerts included a chance to hear Yo Yo Ma play Elgar's Cello Concerto. It was one of the great experiences I've had. I sat close enough to watch him closely.

As much as I love Pete's 6th I've never seen a performance. I have seen his 4th & 2nd as well as the Violin Concerto and 1st Piano Concerto.

Do you have a collection? Who are some of your favorite composers and artists?

Chris---I thought about you as I wrote my little spiel about *Unfaithfully Yours* because this movie is so filled with stirring classical music. What are some of your favorite movies that feature classical selections?

I love Aaron Copland. Often I like his music more than the movies. There's nothing wrong with the film it's just the music stays with me. "Our Town" is a lovely piece. His suite from "The Red Pony" is also a wonderful piece. Of course, "The Heiress" is a great work.

Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto and how it is used in "Brief Encounter." It's a stunning piece of work considering how much criticism he received on some of his earlier works. He very nearly couldn't write again.

"Amadeus" is the most stunning showing of music. For all his talent Mozart could be a spoiled pain in th butt. The scene where he is dying and dictating his "Requiem" is very moving now matter how little truth there may be to it literally.

I have heard concert pieces by Rozsa and Korngold. I've often thought writing for a film brings certain restrictions that a composer of concert works may struggle with as they must write to a time or mood.

I've never seen the movie "Suicide Squadron" but the piece "Warsaw Concerto" has been a favorite since I was a kid.

>... love Aaron Copland. Often I like his music more than the movies. There's nothing wrong with the film it's just the music stays with me. "Our Town" is a lovely piece. His suite from "The Red Pony" is also a wonderful piece. Of course, "The Heiress" is a great work.

The ARTS Channel (Classic Arts Showcase) air on occasion a clip from a documentary on Aaron Copeland. He talks a bit about The Heiress. During a preview prior to release the studio was stunned when the audience laughed at poor Olivia when she got stood up by M. Clift. Remember, she runs out to the porch and a car drives by leaving her standing alone. This was supposed to a sad moment for her. They went to Aaron and asked him to write some music to remedy this. And, of course, he did. The music he composed for this scene as I recall is distinctly modern and produces an effect that changed the whole tenor of the scene. Copland described in words that I don't remember now how he went about achieving this. Very fascinating. With the new music, of course, the audience did not laugh and seemed have a more realistic reaction to Olivia's plight.

Amazingly (to me now), I didn't like Amadeus the first time I saw it. Now I love it. One memorable scene is where Mozart's wife surreptitiously steals away with some of her husband?s music without his knowledge so she can show it to Salieri and learn whether the music is any good. Salieri is bowled over. He looks at the sheets and we hear this marvelous music playing realizing that Salieri is hearing this in his head. A very moving moment and which begins Salieri?s endless chagrin at Mozart?s genius. How could God give such talent to a pauper when I am the official court composer? Salieri is such a great character played wonderfully by F. Murray Abraham (who won an Oscar, I believe). I rebelled against Hulce?s portrayal of Mozart at first thinking he overdid it a little with the vulgarity but warmed up a bit to it later on. I?ve talked to music lovers who insist that there is merit to Salieri although I can?t hear it myself. The music does not sound convincing to me not unlike how it feels to look at an actor who is the same. There have been so many of the great composers who have died young: Schubert, Chopin, etc.,, but of all the most regretable is Mozart. He was only 35 year old when he died in 1791. Had he lived as long as Beethoven, another 20 years, no telling what he would have produced. I could bang my head against a wall just thinking about it.

*Movieman*, thanks for reviving this thread. And *Miss Goddess* your question, "What are some of your favorite movies that feature classical selections?" which I realized you asked Movieman is nevertheless music to MY ears since for anyone who really loves classical music this is the best of all possible questions. That would be a great title for a thread all its own.

The answer to the trivia question was Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings an immensely popular piece that has been used in a number of films, none of which, however, I can come up with now (typical) with the possible exception of Apocalypse Now and I am not even sure about that.

As to my favorite composers and artists, thanks for asking. In due course ...

I love the Elgar Cello Concerto ... again on the ARTS Channel, there is frequently shown clip of Jacqueline Dupre playing the first movement with husband Daniel Barenboim conducting. That first movement is rather haunting ... and very lovely music.

Message was edited by: laffite

I have a recording of DuPre and Barenboim doing the Beethoven Cello Sonatas. They have an interesting story.

Barber's Adagio is a lovely piece. I think it was arranged from a string quartet. John Barry has a purely vocal arrangement on the soundtrack of "The Scarlett Letter." It's pretty interesting.

If Mozart had lived longer could you imagine the competition between him and Beethoven? Would they have had an effect on each other?