Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I'm listening to the remix now. Interesting how they play some of the lines backwards and then mix them in. Cool - hey, she rocks no matter which direction! Yes, she is pretty. :)

This thought occurred to me as I was driving home from work tonight:

What do you other posters think about live recordings vs. studio recordings? I often find that if I like a particular studio recording of a song, it's always a "disappointment" when I hear it live (on a recording only - I don't mean at concerts!).

Do you all like live versions equally well? Are there any songs where "live" versions are better than the studio recordings?

How embarrassing of me.. but I have seen a few grocery-check-out-rag-stands, and I have on more than one occasion mixed up Rihanna and Beyonce by their photos. But when I hear the recordings, there is no mistake. I put HOT LEGS mainly because Single Lady can be an unforgiving earworm. On the other hand, Hot Legs is a nice earworm.

Just a couple more reports.. and I will be back.

Nice entry, darkblue!

There are other instances where the song/artist on the live version sounds great, but I can't stand the roar of the audience. That's also a distraction for me...

"Live" versions are only great if you're there. For listening, I always seem to prefer the studio version. I guess the Dead are an exception to this rule.

I guess if you play the "live" album in a room with good acoustics and a great stereo system, it makes it fun to imagine that you are at the concert itself - but yeah, generally, I like studio recordings more.

Sometimes artists play songs that are only on the "live" recordings, that were never recorded in the studio. There was a Doors song I posted awhile back ("Who Do You Love?") that is only on their LP Absolutely Live. The engineers erased most of the audience reaction, so that makes the song more listenable for me.

Getting back to music, your reference to The Dead makes me think of this song. I like it:

You may be right about that - I know Frampton's songs generally from the radio but I didn't buy any of his albums.

Here's a Grateful Dead song that was a staple when I was going to Catholic school, lol:

(That is to say, no, the nuns didn't play it, but we kids listened to it...)

I do like the live versions on some artist's work, for it does document a place and time to save in our collective conscience. Even though I wasn't there in person, I am grateful that it was shared.

Though those hand-held lousy camera amateur youtube videos really destroy the vibe of the experience! UGH. I do enjoy the Midnight Special videos and the pro-shot concerts for capturing those songs in performance.

I liked darkblue's choice very much; I couldn't agree more. Janis Ian's performance has lost nothing in the ensuing years to me..

*for it does document a place and time to save in our collective conscience.*

You're right, CL, what a great answer. And the longer time goes by, the more precious it becomes as a time capsule. Like, say, listening now to some live blues recording from the 1930s...

Cool, CL. :)

I have to be in a certain mood to listen to Dylan. His voice isn't all that great but he's such an incredible lyricist. I've said (in some music thread here, maybe Jake's) that The Byrds have done wonders with Dylan's lyrics.

I wanted to post his "Subterranean Homesick Blues" but I couldn't find his original. Here's "Like a Rolling Stone" instead:

You know, there is a lot more of Minnesotan in him than even Dylan will give credit. We are a complicated bunch.

Subterranean Homesick Blues

One of the most co-opted videos made. It's right up there with DOWNFALL.

Highway 61 represents Dylan's escape from Hibbing MN

Oh yeah, wow! She has a great voice! It's strong in that it puts me in mind of Melissa Etheridge, but Maria's voice isn't as sandpaper-y.

Yes, I agree, that's a song that needs to be heard live, with the vocals right out front. Some singers are buried in the instruments on albums and I think about wanting to separate the vocals out to hear just that.

Actually, I didn't post one, EugenieH. for I couldn't discover it either.

Al is primo at this sort of thing, imho.

My favorite homage is from BOB ROBERTS, a movie made by Tim Robbins where his Bob Roberts character uses it to ingratiate himself to the disenfranchised youth. It is the twist of our deeper instincts for idolatry and fear, and manipulative of it's audience. The movie is 20 years old, and yet, there is a current connection to the Tea Party of today.