Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Paul Simon is indeed a great songwriter. An American master. If I had to choose just one of his songs to take with me to a desert island it would be this one.

*Simon & Garfunkel - The Only Living Boy In New York*

Best wishes

Metairie Road

You know, until today, when I sort of researched the Poppy Family's singles, I'd always thought that song "Angel of the Morning" was one of theirs'. Don't know why, the singer's voice doesn't particularly resemble Susan Jacks'. But I was convinced it was a Susan and Terry Jacks song, until I looked it up. I must admit, I'm not sure I've even heard of "Merrilee Rush", talented though I'm sure she is. But no matter, it's still a good song and it gives me that nostalgic wish I- were -living -in- the -70s-again feeling.

Angel of the Morning:

Eugenia, I like many kinds of music. As with movies, in all genres there is good, mediocre, and bad. I suppose I'd have to say that I listen the most to rock or pop or whatever you want to call it - and as darkblue said, even within that category there is huge varience.

But in any case, I also, thanks to my father, have a great appreciation for classical music, and thanks to others in my life, am moderately familiar with jazz.

But then again, I really love "roots" music, again, labels are kind of limiting..."roots", country, folk, "old time", whatever one wants to call it. Not to mention blues, r and b ( real r and b, not this Rhianna nonsense), soul, Motown, etc. etc, Rock n roll. Rockabilly.

Once in a while I'll make a "mix tape", or rather now, a "mix CD". Even that of course is very out of date, everyone just does the ipod thing. Actually, I've heard even ipods are joining the dinosaurs, you can just get all the music you want on a "smartphone". But I'm very old school and can't be bothered with all that. Cds serve the purpose for me, and sometimes even records. Hey, I should tell TCMfan 23 all this, he'd be overjoyed.

Anyway, when I make those collections, I really mix it up, not just eclectic pop or rock, but I throw in some jazz, blues, even some classical ( but it has to be of short duration) - as long as it all "flows".

So at the risk of sounding pretentious, I guess I just like good music and don't care about the labels.

Thanks, all. These are great answers. Actually, later as I was thinking about my question, I realized that you all seem to have such a wide range of tastes based on what you post here, that you probably don't have an overall favorite.

For me, I guess I could say that I listen to rock/pop more than any other genre, but that spans over a long period of time, from the 60s to the present. I can easily listen to music from the 50s, 40s and earlier, but don't actively collect those songs. I also love Renaissance music, reggae, classical, jazz... whatever sounds good to my ear, no matter what the genre. My iPod only fits about 500 songs, but if I upgraded I could easily add thousands more. Misswonderly, I do hope iPods don't join the dinosaurs, sheesh. I don't have a Smartphone. I'm glad cassettes are phased out in terms of the music quality of digital, but I can't keep up with all this technology.

I'm not as much a fan of rap, though I like the beat in general. I also don't like "easy listening" and I don't like hard core heavy metal. I'd rather listen to polka music... ;)

Anyway, just off the top of my head, here is The Beach Boys and "I Get Around":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WP2exZurfc

Actually, that's a good idea, Eugenia - it's easier to list what I don't like than what I do like. Hard core heavy metal, most rap and hip hop, and mediocre boring music of any ilk, whether it be "easy listening" or the so-called popular current music, tuneless soul-less rubbish that one hears in any mall. Although sometimes even the malls play something good. And there is some heavy metal ( not much), some rap, and even some polka music ( !) that I actually like.

Hey, did you know the "Polka King" ( forget his name) is Canadian? Oh yeah, baby. Check out us Canadians at a wedding, we polka on the tabletops. Knocking over the flowers and cake with our wild moves.

The Beach Boys, yes. I suppose you know they are touring again and have a new album out? But it's not like their old stuff, this, for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=culLp1w6GSk

"Let Him Run Wild", baby. You can hear in this composition the exquisite ear for music Brian Wilson had - such soaring lovely chord changes, a complex but accessible melody.

I am like you, misswonderly. I like so many genre in equal measure, it would be hard to choose. I make CDs out of my iTunes favorites, but give them theme titles of Inspiration (not religious, but personally inspiring) or Empowerment. I used to date them, but after a year, that was useless-LOL! Music is timeless.

I throw together a disc of music I would like to hear on the screenplay I am working on; that's fun too! I do love regular soundtracks, from HARRY MET SALLY to MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.

Today, the fourth, I will be in another genre. Guess which one?

Hey Canadian baby-- just have to put with this proud librul for today..

Cool clip, mw. I didn't know the Beach Boys were touring again... When they scored a hit with that God-awful "Kokomo" in the 80s, I wasn't listening. I'm a "purist" ;) .

Speaking of traveling dinosaurs, my one "proud" moment is that I got to see the Rolling Stones in concert in the 1990s. Even though they will probably be touring long after we're all gone, they are still good (or, have they finally retired?).

I've never heard of the Polka King! I had a friend that used to play a mean accordion, no joke.

While as said, I'm not a fan of heavy metal, I'm open to very hard rock as long as it's melodic. This is why I love Nirvana - they make the hard rock go down easy. Here is "Lounge Act":

PS - I also used to make a lot of compilation tapes or CDs, and they had to "flow" somehow, but now I just use my iPod. I connect it to my car speakers when I travel, I also make set lists on the iPod.

Edited by: EugeniaH on Jul 4, 2012 7:51 AM

I like to make mix CDs too, which includes some light classical music, rock/pop, country, blues, ragtime, jazz and some ethnic music (African, West Indian, Latin, etc).

In keeping with July 4th:

Billy Murray:

Kate Smith:

My favorite music genre is late '70s and "80s New Wave. My favorite song of the genre is probably the Pretenders' "Message of Love", but that song is not really prototypical of the genre. My favorite prototypical song is probably "Never Say Never" by Romeo Void, "Christine" by Siouxsie and the Banshees, or "Sex" by Berlin.

Thanks! Honestly, it's so nice to post on a thread without people exploding into a volcano of negativity. Maybe it's my imagination, but these boards have been getting so volatile lately -

Back to topic: I love "Never Say Never"! Did you watch a lot of MTV when it first aired? They used to play all of that kind of music you like.

Yes. I now listen to Sirius "First Wave" whenever I'm on the bike at the gym, and I'm now in the best shape of my life. (I wish they would announce the group after each song)

Edited by: finance on Jul 5, 2012 2:32 PM

I couldn't get through a workout session without music pounding in my ears. Music motivates me to exercise every day (nothing like moving to a beat).

You mentioned the Berlin song "Sex", and I wanted to post their song "When We Make Love" but they don't have it on YouTube. I love that song...

>Thanks! Honestly, it's so nice to post on a thread without people exploding into a volcano of negativity. Maybe it's my imagination, but these boards have been getting so volatile lately -

You noticed that too? Must be tough aspects out there..

Spread the love