Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

More "Gimme Shelter" trivia, courtesy of Wikipedia:

A higher-pitched second vocal track is sung by the guest vocalist [Merry Clayton|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Clayton|Merry Clayton]. Of her inclusion, Jagger said in the 2003 book According to... The Rolling Stones: "The use of the female voice was the producer's idea. It would be one of those moments along the lines of 'I hear a girl on this track - get one on the phone.' " Clayton gives her solo performance, and one of the song's most famous pieces, after a solo performed by Richards, repeatedly singing "Rape, murder; It's just a shot away, It's just a shot away," and finally screaming the final stanza. She and Jagger finish the song with the line, "Love, sister, it's just a kiss away." To date it remains one of the most prominent contributions to a Rolling Stones track by a female vocalist.^[[2]|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_Shelter#cite_note-1]^

At about 2:59 into the song, Clayton's voice cracks twice from the strain of her powerful singing; once during the second refrain, on the word "shot" from the last line, and then again during the first line of the third and final refrain, on the word "murder", after which Jagger can be heard saying "Whoo!" in response to Clayton's emotional delivery. She suffered a miscarriage upon returning home, apparently due to the strain involved in reaching the highest notes.^[[3]|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimme_Shelter#cite_note-2]^ Merry Clayton's name was erroneously written on the original release, appearing as 'Mary'.

Nice little song, Eugenia. I like rainy days - I'd rather have more cloudy or rainy days than sunny ones. I like the mysterious feel that cloudier days give me. But I realize that most people think that's weird, and I am being contrary; anyway that's not the point, neither of the Weepies' song nor your posting of it. :P

I kind of missed the boat when people were talking about The Stones and Gimme Shelter. Hope it's not too late to add my 2 cents' worth... An absolutely amazing song, powerful, frightening, just as if not more relevent today than when it was recorded. Oh, and great rock, too.

Many contend that "Let it Bleed" is the Rolling Stones' greatest album. I know what they mean.

Here's a slightly raunchy ( only slightly) track from that album: Live Avec Moi ( ok, "Live with Me") But I don't know why the person who uploaded it used pics from "Beggers' Banquet". It's most definitely from "Let it Bleed":

Fantastic bass playing, opening and throughout:

Had to log on just to answer your post. ;) Since we talked about "Gimme Shelter" it's been stuck in my head, and I finally had to download it on iTunes (why I didn't already have it, I'll never know). Just awesome. Never too late to talk about this song!

With the Weepies, I'd never heard of them, and I happened to hear the song when I was at a get-together at a friend's place. It was too infectious to be ignored, so I wrote down the title and bought it.

(And I agree with you about cloudy/rainy days. But when these kind of days stretch on indefinitely, like they do where I live, it gets depressing. I look forward to my 5 days of sunny weather every year. ;) )

Edited by: EugeniaH on Jul 11, 2012 9:34 AM

I looked up The Weepies. It says they're a husband and wife team, they admired each other's solo music before they ever met. That's a nice story, isn't it?

Yes, Gimme Shelter is probably the best song on an album chock full of great songs. I'm a little disappointed in the youtube I chose for Live with Me -you can hardly hear the bass at all, and it's a very important part of the song. Very inventive and rhythmic bass playing that complements everything else going on in the music- it kind of counterpoints Mick's singing. But you can't hear it on Youtube.

I agree with you 100%. I also like foggy days, although they are not exactly ideal for outdoor cycling. I find the sun kind of boring.

I'm not a huge fan, they're ok. I just couldn't resist the reference to another Supertramp song.

I think one of their hits was used in a "coming of age" movie from the 80s, Little Darlings or something.It was shown on TCM not long ago.

A classic "bad news-good news" experience today. I put on the headphones at the gym and found that Sirius "First Wave" was down. :(...............I frantically went through the other channels available to headphone users and was very pleasantly surprised to find that Sirius "Soul Town" ('60s and '70s soul) had been added. I proceeded to do my workout while bopping all over the place.

Wow, but I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. I'm glad that your alternative station wasn't something like, "All Dentist Office Music, All the Time".

Soul hits. Off the very top of my head, I think of Aretha Franklin:

The two best songs they played while I was on the bike were Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up" and Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes' "The Love I Lost".

The first song especially is a great song to pedal to.

Marvin Gaye:

The Bluenotes:

Haha! :^0 It must have been "subconscious behavior" - I did like the first song better.

Here we go:

Philly? Where is that?

More seriously, I was trying to think of singers who hailed from Long Island, New York, where I'm from. All I can think of is Taylor Dayne and Debbie Gibson. Yeck. But, Billy Joel is also from Long Island...

I'm looking for a good James Brown track...

Edited by: EugeniaH on Jul 13, 2012 1:33 PM

...and the beat goes on. This morning, Soul Town played "Ball of Confusion" by the Temps. Sublime. The Temps in the Norman Whitfield period were through the roof. "Cloud Nine". "Ball of Confusion". "Papa Was a Rolling Stone". Doesn't get any better than that.