Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Hi Lafitte---thank you for your answers & I look forward to more from you guys. I know very little about who composed what, even though I grew up in a household of classical music lovers. I do know that I love it whenever they play Tchaikovsky in a film.

One just hit me that more people may know it but not know what it is is at the end of "Die Hard 2" the end credits are played under Sibelius' "Finlandia." That piece also serves as the basis for the song Farmer Hoggett sings to Babe in "Babe."

More to come...

No reason to be sorry.

"Babe" is a fun film. If you haven't heard of it it's about a pig who thinks he's a sheep dog. The animals talk to each other. Of course the humans don't know this. Some of the fun comes from figuring he's can be a sheep dog and the embarassment of the family. After figuring out that the pig can be a "sheep pig" he is entered into a competition.

It's a lot of fun. James Cromwell was nominated for an Oscar for best supporting actor. Nominated for best director and best picture. (see imdb) It's one of my favorites.

Hi ya MissGodess!!!

How u doin hun? Wow thats awesome about Frank!!...i didnt know thanks so much for the heads up!! Do u know about when in April its on? I wouldnt miss that for anything!

ty again

Ava :-)

Babe is a super film. Thanks for the information on the song sung in it. I didn't know that's where it came from. I do remember after seeing "Babe" in the movie theatre, I walked out thinking " That dog deserves an Oscar". Then had to laugh at myself......

I love Amadeus- and unfortunately can relate to Salieri's prayer to God- why give me the power to know what's good, but not produce it? I am a great appreciater of music, but not very talented at playing or singing.

Song of Love is not a very good or accurate movie about the Schumanns. But Katharine Hepburn is great at faking playing the piano. I was really impressed with her pretend playing.... :)

The Ladykillers with Alec Guinness is the only other movie that comes to mind right this minute. The use of Boccherini's minuet is charming, and adds a nice counterpoint to the skullduggery of the robbers.

Message was edited by: JackFavell

Jack:

You mention Kate and her fake piano playing. I'm so glad she took the time to learn how to fake it. Too often, for me, a scene is ruined because someone is so obviously faking it that it is distracting. If some would take the time to learn how one might move even shots that don't show their hands would be more believable.

As far as Salieri goes I cna somewhat inderstand his attitude about such a twit having all that talent. The other side was thinking he had so much more than he did. Although you can't be a total slouch and serve as a court composer.

I totally agree that it is distracting when an actor doesn't bother to even try to hit the right notes when playing in the movies. I always try to tell if they really play or not.

Speaking of this, I was watching Love Affair with Charles Boyer, Irene Dunne, and Maria Ouspenskaya the other day, and Ouspenskaya and Dunne did a lovely duet of Martini's "Plaisir D'Amour". I thought for a flickering moment that Ouspenskaya was really playing the piano. Does anyone know? It says she studied singing and opera before becoming an actress on IMDB.

> {quote:title=AvaG92260 wrote:}{quote}

> Hi ya MissGodess!!!

>

> How u doin hun? Wow thats awesome about Frank!!...i didnt know thanks so much for the heads up!! Do u know about when in April its on? I wouldnt miss that for anything!

Hi Ava,

Here is the link to the MAY schedule...they'll be featuring Frankie all that month:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.jsp?startDate=05/01/2008&timezone=EST&cid=N

You better provide the link for TCM's schedule for May since that's when your Frankie is "Star of the Month," Silly Goose. And you call yourself a fan. Tsk, tsk, shame and double shame. :P

Sorry! Just wanted to say I found this info on a website called Theiapolis Cinema-

Sing My Heart - Written by 'Harold Arlen' , 'Ted Koehler' Performed by 'Irene Dunne'

Wishing - Written by 'Buddy G. DeSylva' Performed by a group of children 'Irene Dunne' is coaching in singing

Plaisir D'Amour - Written by Jean-Pierre Claris de Florian & Johann Paul Aegidius Martini (1775) Performed by 'Irene Dunne' *Maria Ouspenskaya plays the piano*

OK continue sparring....

>As far as Salieri goes I cna somewhat inderstand his attitude about such a twit having all that talent. The other side was thinking he had so much more than he did. Although you can't be a total slouch and serve as a court composer.

At the time, Salieri was cream of the crop, very highly regarded. His music has not survived that well though there are a few recordings available. God was everything in Salieri's day and it was perfectly natural for him to be chagrined that God gave all this talent to the boy Mozart and not to him. To what extent he actually felt this in real life may not be known but it was a really good touch by the original playwright to emphasize it.

Message was edited by: laffite

The end credits of Excalibur play almost in entirety Wagner's "Siegfried's Funeral Music." Both stories come from an age long ago so in that sense it works. Familiarity with the Wagner can cause a disconnect however, because the context is wrong. But no matter. This is powerful music, it's great to hear used like that.

Mahler's ultra-popular adagietto from the Fifth Sym is used liberally in Death in Venice and to great effect. Pasolini lets the camera linger on Bogarde and we feel the pathos of his inner plight. I remember at the time I first saw this, "Oh, you sly devil," referring to Pasolini because this music is so lush and so beautiful that it would ennoble almost anything to put it with. Train a camera on someone picking his nose while playing this magnificent music and he might look like a hero. Well, not really, but you get the idea. Pasolini chose the right music for Bogarde's character in any case IMO.

Did you (or anyone) see "Copying Beethoven?" With what I know about Beethoven it seems far fetched that he needed guidance on the orchestral writing of his 9th. That being said though is it any good?

I always thought that maybe the most interesting personality in the history of music (except for PDQ Bach) didn't have a full blown biography film. Does "Immortal Beloved try to be that biography? (I understand there isn't/hasn't been a deep market for this kind of film.)

Beethoven needed help because he was totally deaf and because he was aged. Wasn't that it? It certainly wasn't because he needed help actually composing. She was a copyist. She just put it down on paper. He didn't seem deaf in the movie because he was given to much credit IMO for being able to communicate in that condition. In real life, I'm sure it's much harder to get along. The actor who played him (name escapes me) did well and looked the part. My sense is that Beethoven was much more difficult to get along with at this stage in his life than shown in the movie. He had his bad moments of course but some of the cheeriness and good natured behavior didn't seem realistic to me. He did not have a nice temperament.

<ahttp://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff214/jeanlaffite/copyB12.jpg>

Diane Kroger was splendid ... and so delicately and elegantly beautiful. This business of conducting the Ninth with her lead (shown in the picture) doesn't seem right and I don't think that really happened. She would have been brilliant indeed to have the whole symphony committed to memory. Beethoven did actually conduct his Ninth while totally deaf but he was often lost. The story goes that when the symphony was over Beethoven was feverishly turning pages of the score trying to find his place. Someone came up and turned him around so he could see the wild applause. I'm surprised they didn't put that in the movie.

I haven't seen Immortal Beloved Do you mean that there hasn't been a market for biopics in general, or biopics of composers? Where did I read it, sometime recently, an article about how difficult it would be do a biopic of Beethoven. I may have to look for it. Beethoven's life was not a happy one, and how do you depict deafness on the screen. After all, he needs to talk if he's in a movie. He was an outsider and often boorishly rebellious. There was a real protracted and sordid affair with his nephew. He sued to get custody and the whole case became an obsession with him. In the movie as well in real life I believe, the nephew was a wastrel and I seem to recall reading somewhere that some negligence on the nephew's part may have done damage to Beethoven perhaps even hastening his death, but that is murky. His life might be too much of a downer to be truly cinematic. Could the music alone carry the picture? Probably not for a 'popular' audience.

Message was edited by: laffite

I knew he didn't need help composing (although that is what a comment on imdb implies) and he wouldn't need help scoring it. She might need to make additional copies but she certainly wouldn't need to advise him on anything. I had seen stories where he was watching aperformance of one of his string quartets and he noticed that one of the players was bowing his instrument wrong and making a mistake,

I know he was quite difficult as his hearing had been so difficult. A man in his line of work could have lost nothing more precious. He has all those notebooks he used to communicate so he couldn't communicate that well.

Ed Harris played Beethoven.

I meant a market for biopics for composers. I guess those of us who might be interested aren't enough to make it worthwhile. I'm not sure they all had interesting stories. Tchaikovsky's would be interesting.

If you've never read it Maynard Solomon wrote a very good biography on Beethoven. I'm also continually reading his book on Mozart.

Wow, Ed Harris as Beethoven? That would be something to see. I can't imagine it. He's so very "American" to me!

Too bad I don't have a picture. The one below of Diane was one of several of her from the DVD I rented at Netflix. I didn't think to capture one of Ed ... for, um, obvious reasons. This is the only movie I have seen with Ed Harris so I have no basis for surprise. But he was cast ok I thought. He has the big square face and they got the hair right. He was an ok Beethoven.

Hey MissGodess,

thanks for the link..im just getting it now..sorry been sick with the flu..UGH all better now!

thanks again!

AvaG

You better provide the link for TCM's schedule for May since that's when your Frankie is "Star of the Month," Silly Goose. And you call yourself a fan. Tsk, tsk, shame and double shame.

april! you grab him from behind and ill get the devil's food cake to smash it in his face. ;)

The end credits of Excalibur play almost in entirety Wagner's "Siegfried's Funeral Music." Both stories come from an age long ago so in that sense it works. Familiarity with the Wagner can cause a disconnect however, because the context is wrong. But no matter. This is powerful music, it's great to hear used like that.

good morning Lafitte!!

you are positutely absitively right! i love the ending credits to excalibur, just because of the music. i always turn the volume up whenever i watch it. it gives me goosebumps....it is so sumptuous!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> You better provide the link for TCM's schedule for May since that's when your Frankie is "Star of the Month," Silly Goose. And you call yourself a fan. Tsk, tsk, shame and double shame.

>

> april! you grab him from behind and ill get the devil's food cake to smash it in his face. ;)

I'm afraid that's what he's hoping we'll do, Theresa. ;)

I'm afraid that's what he's hoping we'll do, Theresa.

thats what im afraid of, april. oh goodness instead of going through all this trouble we might as well just shoot him. heehee!