Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Loved that video, db. Brown is hilarious. Probably had a gargantuan ego, but hey, he rocked. B-)

On a related note, does anyone remember this song from the Tom Tom Club in the 1980s? In this clip, at about the 2:15 mark, you can hear the lyric, "James Browwwwn, James Browwwwn..." ;)

finance, I also love "Papa Was a Rolling Stone":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6c0P5sWCWg

"Cloud 9" is actually the best of all, and IMHO, one of the five or Six best R&B songs ever, (Along with Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes' "Bad Luck" and "Where are All My Friends", the O'Jays' "Backstabbers", and Stevie Wonder's "You Got it Bad Girl".)

Wow, lots to catch up with... Casablancalover, I love that Sam and Dave song! I don't think I've ever heard it.

The Temptations, "Cloud Nine". Yeah, finance, awesome. It's all I can do not to break out into a boogie here in Starbucks:

I definitely love these funky tunes better than their slower hits, "Just My Imagination", "My Girl", etc.

Stevie's "You Got it Bad Girl" has got to be the most hypnotic and best-arranged soul song ever recorded. I defy you to listen to it just once.

Here is a "guilty pleasure" song for me - "Fascinated" by Company B.

I found this at random on YouTube yesterday when I was uploading that Tom Tom Club song. I hadn't heard it in decades. While I don't like disco so much, sometimes I really like to hear a dance song from the 80s and after. It's by no means "quality music", but it's great when you're in the mood to just let loose and have fun (imo)... Makes me want to dance! :)

As something of a Stevieophile, here are a few other of my favorites by him: "Bird of Beauty", "Another Star", "Golden Lady", "Ribbon in the Sky", "My Cherie Amour", "Higher Ground", "Moon Blue" (recent), "Superwoman", "Master Blaster Jammin'".

Edited by: finance on Jul 16, 2012 4:25 PM

Oh, boy. I just found this clip. Must.add.this. Another one I used to love a lot:

I'm glad you mentioned the Main Ingredient. They did two GREAT songs you may not know. "Happiness is Just Around the Bend", and "Rolling Down the Mountainside".

I've just listened to all the great Stevie Wonder tracks I mentioned, and I surprised myself by now thinking that the best of all of them is "Bird of Beauty" from "Fulfillingness First Finale". Very complex arrangement, just like "You've Got it Bad, Girl"..

Ah, that one hasn't been posted yet. Here y'are:

"Bird of Beauty" from Fulfillingness First Finale and the favorite of fi from Philly (ha!):

Gillian Welch is one of the best "roots" singers around. ( I hate labels - she does a lot of "folk" type stuff, I guess that makes her a "roots" musician.)

Here, from her 2001 album Time ( the Revelator ), is an example of Welch's songwriting at its sweet wistful best, "My Dear Someone":

( I know most people here probably haven't heard of her, but give her a shot - her music is really good, if you like that kind of music. It's worth noting that she is one of the musicians whose work appeared on the Oh Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack. In fact that's how I discovered her. )

I meant "labels. I thought it didn't look quite right, but was interrupted before I could check Just fixed it now. .Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 18, 2012 4:56 PM

You misspelled it, and I thought you were saying "I hate tables". I'm thinking, "what could she possibly have against tables"?