Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Whaaat? Seriously? That Melanie song? To paraphrase Eve Harrington, I can't believe my eyes - or, your post.

Best selling single, ever? And now poor old Melanie is for the most part a forgotten has-been.

This is not to put her down, I owned a Melanie album, and liked it very much. She was a good little folkie, and she wrote some fine songs.

But "biggest-selling" single, ever? Come on, fi...all that exercise must have created too much oxygen and it's gone to your head...

( not that I care, I hasten to say. But I'd always thought "The Girl on Page 44" by the Four Lads was the biggest selling single of all time.)

Folks, up here in Canada there was a musical legend who affected thousands, possibly millions, of music fans. Nope, he was not a musician or singer; he was Sam the Record Man. Sam's iconic record store occupied the corner of Yonge and Gould street for over forty years, til it was knocked down in the mid -2000s.

Everybody went there, not only to buy music, but to browse the huge stock of records Sam's 3-storey shop provided. You could spend hours there. You could go there with your friends and hang out and try to impress the cool staff with your musical taste and knowledge. ( But they never were.)

Yesterday Sam Sniderman died. He was 92.

Here's a clip of one of the very first records I ever bought. At Sam the Record Man's, of course:

Ah, that crackly record sound...

I have read that Bing Crosby's White Christmas is the single which has sold the most records.

I believe you are thinking of Elton John's Candle in the Wind

I have heard that this song is the most popular and most-played in the world:

RIP to your legend back there, mw.

In Minneapolis we had the Electric Fetus (awesome shop). My first 45rpm was also Simon & Garfunkel. Different song-

The best music shop I ever shopped was Tower Records on Sunset and the one in West LosAngeles. I have wasted hours in those places; that, and the Samuel French bookshop also on Sunset. Samuel French bookstore is the best. Think of a movie-- and they may have the script.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Sep 24, 2012 7:12 PM

I find it interesting that this song, made famous by Astrud Gilberto, has come up recently, just a few days after I posted a different ( and less known) song of hers', Gentle Rain.

Here's another of my favourites performed by her: So Nice (Summer Samba) . I should have posted it while it was still summer. Come to think of it, I think maybe I have posted this song before, I vaguely remember commenting on how much I like it, despite- or even partly because of- the cheesey organ accompaniment. It's a great tune, with a universal and timeless sentiment. Love that Latino percussion.

( ps to finance: I'm surprised you didn't have anything to say about the disco song I posted yesterday on the Nicola thread. Thought you were a big disco aficionado - "genuine disco", to paraphrase Lauren Bacall.)

> The best music shop I ever shopped was Tower Records on Sunset and the one in West Los Angeles. I have wasted hours in those places.

Tower Records was one of my favorite haunts. The first 45rpm record I ever bought was by John Lennon:

That is sooo finance. I thought the Trammps meant going crazy with dance moves at the disco.

Scotman, we all shine on. B-)

Noontime Elvis:

Sometimes, things happen for a reason. I came home unexpectedly because the cover on my drive-thru coffee wasn't sealed up tight. Now it's noontime laundry for my shirt and khakis.

But a cheerful Elvis tune makes day all right. Thank you! Follow that dream.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Oct 1, 2012 12:15 PM

Evening Elvis. Well, actually, eveninnwhenthere'sabluemoon elvis.

"Blue moons" really do exist, although apparently they're pretty rare. We just had one a few weeks ago.

So here's Blue Moon of Ken-Lucky. It is actually supposed to be a full moon tonight, Yellow, not blue, though. Or rather, golden.

My favourite Elvis period is his first, the "Sun Record Sessions", produced by Sam Phillips. Oh why don't I shut up and post the song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcEaAQ1f3ic

(ps - despite the "moon" theme, let's keep George Brent out of it.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 1, 2012 12:54 PM

Yeah, Blood, Sweat and Tears had something of a "white soul" sound sometimes.

Apparently today is the 50th anniversary of the start of the James Bond film series. So, here's the James Bond theme. Of course the Bond films are famous for their creative opening credits, so I picked the opening creds from Dr. No. I see polka dots.