Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

This is my favorite song by Grand Funk Railroad. I think I may have posted this song here before, but as long as we're on the subject of them, it's worth posting again (and yes, get well soon, Mark):

Char, thank you so much for the sweet and poignant In My Life. That is the first song that was played at my wedding.

Just to continue this *Rubber Soul* conversation a little further...I hope nobody minds if I post Norwegian Wood and Dylan's 4th Time Around back to back. They're both great songs anyway, and you can really hear the similiarity in melody. Dylan's *Blonde on Blonde* came out a few months after *Rubber Soul*, and critics generally agree that he was consciously alluding to Norwegian Wood in 4th Time Around. Both tell of an odd, somehow unsettling conversation between a man and a woman, and suggest that the woman is trying to play the man for a fool.

But more than the lyrics, the melody is very similar - the chord changes are almost the same. Also, they're both in 3/4 time.

Sorry to repeat myself on this ( earlier post a couple of days ago) but I love stuff like that, and enjoy sharing it with others. darkblue, hope you don't mind my coming back to this..I mean, because you've already done your own comparison. (love Blonde on Blonde, by the way.)

Norwegian Wood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usCLPWzjsz8

4th Time Around (a bit scratchy, but it'll do)

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 25, 2012 10:24 AM

I believe John considered Run For Your Life as the song he wish he never wrote since it is a very hateful song. Yoko really gave him a hard time for writing that one. But yea, the music is good.

While Rubber Soul is one of my top 2 -3 favorite Beatles albums I have seen where critics have labeled it as being too wimpy. i.e. to folk rock. While I can see that especially when compared to the albums that what follow it (Revolver, Pepper), to me Rubber Soul is a good balance between the more simple very pop early Beatle's style and their 'harder' material. Also the harmony singing by the lads was tops at this point. i.e. as time moved on John and Paul didn't sing as much together as they did during this middle period. As for the George songs; well to me this relates to that harmony singing. Really having John and Paul as your back up singer! How could that not be great! So while I think later Harrison songs are more 'complete' (stronger in terms of songwriting structure), those later songs don't have that same backup singing due to the lads not being in the studio at the same time.

I view Dylan as one of the greatest lyricist that ever lived but not songwriters. From a musician's POV the harmonies are typically very simple. To me a songwriter is someone like Cole Porter; someone that wrote wonderful lyrics as well as complex and interesting harmonies. As for rock songwriters someone like Paul Simon, especially his later work, has both the lyrical content as well the harmonic.

Yeah, most people agree that Dylan's lyrics are the most remarkable aspect of his songwriting. Still, even if most of his musical compositions are based on blues, folk, and "roots" origins, his tunes are compelling and never sound like anyone else's ( largely but not entirely due to his unique voice and the aforesaid outstanding lyrics.)

If it were just the lyrics of his songs that stood out for me, I wouldn't be the fan that I am. It's the way he applies those lyrics to his melodies, some of which ( the melodies) are very good.

Also, there is some mysterious unidentifiable ingredient to Bob Dylan's music that renders it "greater than its parts".

Dylan is still making albums. He just released one about a year ago, I believe. You can tell, when listening to these latter-day recordings, that he is returning to those "roots" more than ever. But a lot of these recent offerings are pretty darned good.

Here's one of my favourite early Dylan tracks, going back to his very early days. It owes a lot to those old folk/blues numbers.But it's very compelling, partly because of the way he sings it, and partly because of the tune itself. It's kind of mysterious and sexy.

I used to think this song was called Gyspy Gal, but it isn't. It's called Spanish Harlem Incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqjpRQoyLrA

ps- I'm embarrassed to say, I didn't know much about Johnny Rivers, so I looked him up. Damn, that guy's made a lot of records, many of which I have heard, I just didn't identify them with the name Johnny Rivers. And yes, he did do a good cover of Positively 4th Street. ( the missing ingredient is the anger that Dylan felt when he was singing it - man, does that ever come across. But Rivers does a strong interpretation, and I like the guitar arrangements.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 25, 2012 3:55 PM

Pretty psychedelic ! And to think I knew next to nothing about this guy a little while ago.

About the "anger" in Positively 4th Street: it's not clear to whom Dylan is directing these bitter words, there's been a lot of speculation, everything ranging from his fellow folkies to an ex-girlfriend to his manager.Whoever it was about, I imagine the anger is so present in the Dylan version because it was very real and personal, apparently the inspiration for the song in the first place.

Johnny Rivers, I assume, would have had no such contempt in his mind when he sang it.

By the way, here's a silly little parody of Hey Joe from Frank Zappa. Frank was no hippy, and in fact ridiculed the flower children, especially in his album "We're Only in it for the Money". It's a bit mean-spirited. I like Zappa -sometimes- but I don't like that side of him, the side that seemed to think he was superior to just about everyone else.

Still, it's kind of funny, his version of Hey Joe, He speeds up his voice in it to sound like a Chipmunk (from the popular cartoons at the time.) He calls it "Flower Punk".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFJ9HQ1h9FE

Eugenia and casablancalover, apologies for not commenting on your Grand Funk Railroad offerings before now.

I don't know much about them, but interestingly, when I clicked those links I instantly recognized the songs. I'd heard them both, many times long ago, when they were on the radio a lot, (even that really long one), but never realized they were by Grand Funk Railroad. Now I know. :D

I quite like "We're an American Band". It rocks ! Maybe "Closer to My Home" a little less, but perhaps that's just due to its length. Although I often like looong songs. Maybe I'm too worried about the Captain and what exactly is going on with him to enjoy it.

Anyway, that was fun, being reminded of those guys. Thanks.

I love the band "XTC". They are kind of obscure, and many who are familiar with their music would call them "quirky". Certainly not mainstream, and definitely not to everyone's taste.

But I love 'em. Their songs are unique, immediately identifiable as XTC songs. Andy Partridge (nought to do with the 70s tv show with David Cassidy...) their lead songwriter, composes unusual interesting melodies with great arrangements. There's a lot to listen to in their music. And I love the things they write about...rain, kids on hobby horses, getting old, lust, pumpkin heads, English farm life, mean people, the creative spirit ( that sounds pretentious, but the way they do it, it isn't), and heartbreak. Just to name a few of the topics they explore.

Anyway, blah blah...here's XTC with their pensive wistful ode to this time of year, Autumn Festival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lrZfhcpTIM

Edit: Sorry, not "Autumn" Festival, it's "HARVEST Festival".

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 26, 2012 2:57 PM

No one was comparing the lyrics. But would you label Hart a songwriter? I wouldn't. I would say Hart was a lyricist while Rogers was a composer, and Cole Porter was a songwriter. Dylan is indeed a songwriter but as a composer I would rate him only 'so so' but as a lyricist he was great.

Great albums !

You know then, of course, that the song that I posted today, Harvest Festival, is from Apple Venus l .

Something I really love about XTC, and as far as I know nobody's ever pointed it out, is that their songs are really "life-affirming" although at the same time they're never sappy or sentimental.

"Skylarking" I think, is one I'd take to a desert island with me.

The Vandals are a local band (Orange Country CA) and I remember seeing them play at parties here and I knew some people that went to high school with them.

And if you liked that, you'll love Jimmy Fallon's impression of Neil Young:

This is even funnier if you're familiar with the original version that "Neil" covers:

BigFaceSmallRazor. Fallon's impression of Neil was excellent, he nailed the guy.

My favorite Neil Young song by a long way is 'Powderfinger' from the Rust Never Sleeps album. An enigmatic (of course) but intense song.

I've listened to this song a thousand times and the verse that begins with - "Daddy's rifle in my hands felt reassurin' " never fails to send a chill down my spine.

*Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Powderfinger*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7E6kQ2aLHo

The weirdness continues....

whilst searcing for Powderfinger on YouTube I came across this curiosity.

If anyone had told me before today that I'd be posting an Adam Sandler video on the TCM forum I'd would have told them they were nuts. I am by no means a fan of Adam Sandler or his movies.

But after watching this video of Neil and Adam performing together at a charity event in 2009, I must say that my respect for Adam Sandler has gone up a notch. He still makes dumb movies though.

*Adam Sandler with Neil Young - Powderfinger*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsidlW-5zqk

Best wishes

Metairie Road