Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Lots of funny stuff here, last few posts. Lots of well-played stuff, too.

Complete change of pace: I feel like an idiot admitting this, but I was outside yesterday, battling with the overwhelmingly windy cold and rainy weather that was the fringe end of the storm they're calling "Sandy". I can only imagine what is was like for those in the thick of it.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed to say that song from "Carousel", You'll Never Walk Alone, came into my head ( unbidden.)

Putting aside the cringeworthy possibilites in the way this song can and has been done, it truly is a beautiful and inspiring piece of music. It is so moving already, that if it is not performed with simplicity it will almost inevitably slip into maudlin overkill. You'll Never Walk Alone just doesn't need all the heavy artillery sentimentality that it often gets, it ends up making you feel like laughing instead of crying because it beomes so emotional it collapses under its own weight of heart-wrung teariness.

Which is too bad, because it is a beautiful song.

I tried to find a version on youtube that wasn't overloaded with sentiment, I know some exist, but couldn't find one. And the clip from the movie isn't what I had in mind either.

Blahblah - all this is meant to apologize in advance for the potential tearjerk factor in the version I finally settled on - what my parents used to call "corny". No holds barred, weep away, and while you're at it, sway in time to the music and put your hand over your heart. Cheesey, yes. But it's stil a lovely song. Weep away :

misswonderly, I know what you mean. 'Climb Every Mountain' another Rodgers and Hammerstein song has the same quality.

I remember being dragged off by my mother to see the Sound of Music when I was nine. However, I was unable to to appreciate it at that time.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Metry, Climb Every Mountain is a great example of that potential for emotional overkill. Maybe Edelweiss too. When the song's already stocked with emotion, keep it simple.

Happy Hallowe'en everybody ! Here's Billy Lee Riley with Flying Saucers Rock n Roll. Ok, maybe it's only borderline scary, but it rocks ! I love it - cheers for Sun Records !

Scottman, thanks for those amazing songs.

Charlie Patton, I'd know that voice anywhere. The guy must have gargled with battery acid and razorblades every morning to get a voice like that.

I became aware of Bessie Smith's music when I went to see a wonderful musical called 'One Mo' Time' at the Little Theatre in New Orleans in 1984. Used to have the cast recording on cassette tape but my cassette player chewed it up a long time ago.

*Bessie Smith - I've Got What It Takes*

Best wishes

Metairie Road

I dunno, I always seem to be a couple of beats behind everyone else on this thread. :P But baby, I don't care ( any excuse to quote from "Out of the Past".)

Ok, so I'm still back with Neil Young. Here be a beautiful love song from him. One reason I like it so much ( besides the fact that it's a lovely melody) is because it's about mature love, or at least, someone who's been around the block a few times. It would be a good anniversary song.

From his album by the same name, here be "Harvest Moon." ( I must say, the chord changes in it remind me a little of the Everly Brothers "Walk Right Back", so I'm throwing it in too.)

"Harvest Moon" ( in keeping with the season)

And our boys, the Everly Brothers. ( I have no problem with Neil's "tribute" to this sweet melody.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO1885v57jk

Edited by: misswonderly on Nov 1, 2012 4:07 PM

(misspelled "Everly".)

When I think of Neil Young, I think of my time in the National Guard. We had to go to a 2-week summer camp. It so happened that a guy in my outfit also played in a rock band. His bandmates came down, and they entertained the"troops". They weren't bad, and the best thing they did was a great version of "Southern Man", which has stayed with me to this day.

*Young looks as if he's been around the block, under the block, and over the block a few times.*

I remember a time my brother and I were watching him perform on some tv program and my brother commented sarcastically, "Yeah, he's burnt!" (it was funny at the time but not a very nice thing to say, especially coming from such a loser as my brother...)

Here's a Young song that takes me back to my youth, "Heart of Gold" (my speakers suddenly aren't working right now so I hope this is the right studio version):

Edited by: EugeniaH on Nov 2, 2012 7:46 AM

Well, since we're unabashedly on a Neil Young roll, I'll post another of my favourites by him. This one is almost as closely linked with Neil Young as "Keep on Rockin' in the Real World", maybe more. It's one of those moody tunes that makes you feel -well, moody. Plus, being from Ontario (albeit the southern part), that first line always gives me a minor thrill..."There is a town in north Ontario...". How many songs exist that even mention Ontario?

Helpless: