Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

> {quote:title=BigFaceSmallRazor wrote:}{quote}

> Bartok meets Britney Spears.

The Bartok is exact. I can not speak of Britney Spears. I have heard the name often but I do not know that I have ever heard her sing and I have more than fifty YouTube searches which I must do before I look for some other new thing.

> I don't know. All I know is I wish I had the last minute & 18 seconds of my life back. (ha ha)

I have a perverse fascination with junctures of art and science. I believe in this instance that the music is perverse and the science is fascinating. :)

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:

> }{quote}I have a perverse fascination with junctures of art and science. I believe in this instance that the music is perverse and the science is fascinating. :)

That is quite possible, I'm sure. But seeing as how I'm a musician & not a scientist, I hope you can understand my aversion (ha ha).

And you've never heard Britney Spears? Please allow me to introduce you. Carole King she ain't but in the late 90's, possibly the biggest thing since the Beatles.

> And you've never heard Britney Spears? Please allow me to introduce you. Carole King she ain't but in the late 90's, possibly the biggest thing since the Beatles.

I thank you for the link. I have heard the song at some time but did not know the name of the singer and so did not know to associate it with her. My knowledge of American pop singers is lacking greatly because I do not like how they are homogenized.

I prefer pop singers with texture such as VarVara:

The song is Katyusha

Pears and apples blossomed on their branches.

River mist was spreading high and wide.

On the steep and lofty bank at morning

Katy came walking by the riverside.

Katy came walking, singing in the morning

Of a brave gray eagle of the steppes,

Of a man she'd come to call beloved

Of a man whose letters she had kept.

Darling song, song of a loving maiden,

Following the sun fly high and straight

Toward a soldier far out on the border

Bringing greetings from yours truly Katy.

Bid him then recall a simple woman,

Bid him hear her voice in every verse,

Bid him with his life guard mother Russia,

And his Katy shall guard their love with hers.

Pears and apples blossomed on their branches.

River mist was spreading high and wide.

On the steep and lofty bank at morning

Katy came walking by the riverside.

> {quote:title=casablancalover2 wrote:}{quote}

> Art and Science can be fun.

Berndnaut Smilde is an artist who uses science often to create works. The most well-known are clouds created in rooms by adjusting pressure and humidity.

http://www.berndnaut.nl/images/Salaweb.jpg

I am sorry to say I can not find an image that is in the public domain or Creative Commons license and so I can only post links to them.

http://www.berndnaut.nl/images/nimbusD%27aspremont_web.jpg

http://www.berndnaut.nl/images/cumuluskleinindex.jpg

Agreed! Plus with "Luftballons", there were two versions on the radio - English and German (they couldn't leave well enough alone with one language...).

But here's the video anyway, for the listening pleasure of the public ]:) :

Hey, you're right, the two do look alike!

Thanks for introducing Elton John - I love his music. This thread was going down the slippery slope with Thomas Dolby and Nena :0

At random, I'm choosing, "Someone Saved My Life Tonight", though Rocket Man is one of my big favorites. (My computer speakers still aren't working, so I'm hoping this is the studio version of the song. Gotta fix my system):

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}At random, I'm choosing, "Someone Saved My Life Tonight", though Rocket Man is one of my big favorites. (My computer speakers still aren't working, so I'm hoping this is the studio version of the song. Gotta fix my system):

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yep, you picked the right one, Eugenia. Someone Saved My Life Tonight has an interesting story behind it. It's about how Bernie Taupin, Elton's lyricist, really & truly did save Elton's life one night.

Before he became famous, Elton was engaged to an heiress (he was either straight or bisexual at the time apparently). He had decided to quit the music business cause his career was going nowhere. Elton was really depressed & one night turned on the gas & stuck his head in the oven. Bernie walked in, turned the gas off, & convinced Elton to break off the engagement (which Elton did).

Elton has said in numerous interviews that if he'd gone through with the marriage, he never would have had a music career & that him sticking his head in the oven was a desperate attempt to get out of it. It was a crossroads where he had to decide was he going to take the safer, more conventional path or the harder, more precarious path. Thankfully for us, he chose the latter.

Here's my favorite early Elton & my favorite later Elton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndzHqFv9Mdo

Change of pace ( I know, I'm always doing the "change of pace" thing. But at least this features the piano, Elton's musical instrument of choice.)

I love Beethoven's piano concertos ( well, I love Beethoven's music, period), and this is one of my favourites. In fact, it's one of my absolute favourite pieces of music in any genre of all time. From his Piano Concerto #1, "Rondo". This is as joyous a composition as you'll ever hear. I hope you guys stay with it for all 9 minutes - it's worth it.

*Vivaldi's Four Seasons: Winter:*

*Beethoven*

*Moonlight Sonata, by Arthur Rubinstein, imho, the perfect version:*

*Ode to Joy from Beethoven's 9th, by VonKarajan:*

Have you ever heard of a Monster Concert? This was a phase of musical performance--and was the rage-- *in the 19th Century!* The following is a recreation of the event, using The Ode to Joy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paH0V6JLxSI&feature=related

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Nov 9, 2012 11:57 PM