Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Now, finance baby, why would I ever call you anything like that? Many many smart sophisticated people do not care for so-called classical music.

Probably the only reason I do is because of my parents. I was very lucky, from as long as I can remember, I was surrounded by music from the records my parents played constantly.

They loved early Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, Peter Paul and Mary, all that early 60s so-called left-wing folkie stuff. They also loved classical, and throughout my childhood I heard Beethoven, Mahler, Bach, Rossinni, the operas of Wagner ( now there's some heavy stuff) etc. etc. I remember my father would relax on Sunday afternoon, he'd put on some Mozart or whatever he felt like, make himself a drink ( one drink, once a week), sit on the couch, and give himself over to his beloved classical records. Sometimes he's tell me the background behind the music, or the story the music was telling ( if there was one.)

Sorry, what a sentimental and personal lapse. But I do think of this eclectic and intense love of music my parents, especially my Dad, had, as a kind of gift from them.

I seem to be on a roll with achingly beautiful music these days. I was thinking of saving this for your American Thanksgiving, for no reason other than that I am deeply thankful that this song exists. But I can't wait, I'm posting it today.

Van Morrison's Astral Weeks has to be one of the most magnificent recordings ever made. He actually re-did it, a live version, a couple of years ago. It's pretty good, but it also usually makes me want to listen to the original.

This is Ballerina:

Really nice song, misswonderly. :)

Reading the last three posts, with references to piano solos and Thanksgiving and "achingly beautiful music", it made me think of George Winston -

"Thanksgiving":

I have a few songs from this album on my iPod. It was hard for me to choose just one to post...

Edited by: EugeniaH on Nov 12, 2012 11:49 AM

What statement?

"I seem to be on a roll with achingly beautiful music these days." ?

Maybe it was self-serving, in the sense that I felt I needed some kind of excuse or explanation for posting stuff that doesn't usually get posted here.

Still, I hope I don't come across as one of those phoney types who pretend to denigrate themselves when they're really backa**wards praising themselves.

Ah well, I can easily go back to rock, pop, r & b etc.

Oh, the nostalgia. I remember CCR so well, it seemed they were always on the radio when I was in junior high school.

Here's my absolute favourite, "Up Around the Bend". I thought at the time - and still think, for that matter- that the catchy guitar riff that opens the song is absolutely irresistable.