Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

On another note (pun entirely intended), the titles of the songs Scottman posted made me think of a completely different tune, Let's Stick Together. Nobody does this like Bryan Ferry and his boys, so let's go !

Don't forget to turn it way up and dance !

The songs I consider the quintessential late-'60s songs (hippieish, druggy, whatever) are the Byrds' "Eight Miles High", the Chambers Brothers "Time Has Come Today", the Airplane's "White Rabbit" and "Wooden Ships", the Doors' "Break on Through", and Eric Burdon's "Down in Monterey".

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}BigFaceSmallRazer, ( I gotta say, your screen name makes me kind of nervous :0 ) I'm pretty sure that very performance is shown in a Woody Allen film, I think *Crimes and Misdemeanors*.

Hmm...didn't know that misswonderly. Thanks for the info!

And that's a great version by Bryan Ferry. Had never heard it. But this is STILL my favorite version of that song--and fits in nicely with the theme of hippy music of the late 60's--

Charlotte, baby, of course we're not having a fight. Of course we're speaking to each other.

I was computer-less for almost a week, had to take the thing in for a "virus-cleaning", turned out it had "malware" ( whatever that is - sounds like the McGuffin in a film noir), and had to stay in the computer fixit shop for longer than I expected. ( It also cost more than I expected, but that's another story...)

So I haven't been "in touch" on this or any other site for about a week. And my mailbox here is at 100%, it won't let me send any more messages until I delete some ( and I hate doing that !) This is why I am so publicly responding to you here, as opposed to in a pm.

As soon as I've "cleared out" my mailbox I'll be writing you, don't worry, baby ( but I've already posted that, some time ago.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 17, 2013 10:09 PM

Right, and I love that clock ticking sound effect ( or maybe it's a real clock), and the rest of the guys shouting "TIME", especially when the ticking slows down.

Oh, dammit, I'm going to post it: (It's really long, so I just posted the shorter version.)

Also fond of Our House. They are always one of the first bands I think of when Woodstock is mentioned. Also enjoyed Santana and Hendrix. Must have been an incredible experience. It would have to be if only because they "were half a million strong."

Thanks misswonderly, for fixing the link to the We Five version of Get Together.

I was out of town for a few days, so I didn't get to thank you for fixing it.

I agree, I've always like the Youngbloods version best.

I just picked up a 78rpm copy of the Orioles singing "Crying In The Chapel", from 1953, a really beautiful performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nru5sd8Nxuw

Warmth of the sun, oh yeah, sounds good to me. It's about -15 degrees Celcius here in southern Ontario...that's roughly ( and I do mean "rough") 5 degrees Farenheit for you Americans. Colder than that, with the "wind chill factor".

Great song, whatever the weather. Brian Wilson knew how to write beautiful lush melodies.

They were among the best, finance, one of my favorites! :)

Long before the Beach Boys, there was Kalama's Quartet, four Hawaiians led by Mike Hanapi.

Their harmonies and guitar playing are quite nice. Since their style is of more traditional Hawaiian music and not rock and roll, I call attention to them as another example of good harmony singing and not as a comparison of which group is better: "Maile Lau Li'l Li'l (1928)

Edited by: Scottman on Jan 22, 2013 8:53 PM