Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

For all the Beach Boys fans on here, I present the vocal-only version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice". I think it sounds pretty awesome. I remember reading somewhere that Brian had everyone rehearse the vocals to this song for weeks before he was satisfied with it. Mike started calling Brian "dog ears" because of his ability to pick up on flat notes and other mistakes that the other Boys couldn't. Now I'm rambling. Anyways, here it is. Don't fall asleep, Eugenia. lol..

This is great! Thanks for posting it. (Luckily, I'm more awake this morning than I was yesterday morning, so I haven't been lulled to sleep by this thread as yet, lol...)

One more Beach Boys favorite of mine: "God Only Knows" I love the soaring ending:

Anybody who likes the Beach Boys (and especially PET SOUNDS) should check out SMiLE. It was supposed to be the follow-up to PET SOUNDS that Brian Wilson was taking years to create. But his drug use & the fact that the people around him (the other Beach Boys, his handlers) didn't like it (it didn't adhere to the Beach Boys formula for success: songs about cars, girls, & surfing) caused him to abandon the project.

It also caused him to have a nervous breakdown and he spent the next several years practically comatose & literally living in his bedroom.

And then in 2004 he finally released it as a solo project & it was instantly hailed as a masterpiece of the rock era. For my money it's the most ambitious, sophisticated rock music (as defined by songs accompanied by electric guitars, bass, & drums) ever created.

SMiLE is to rock music what SUNRISE is to silent movies. It makes SGT. PEPPER pale in comparison (And I don't say that lightly. I'm a huge Beatle fan). Here's a taste...

The 2004 Brian Wilson solo remake of SMiLE was good, but nothing can beat the original recordings from 1967. The Wilson brothers, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnson, and Mike Love providing the harmonies. Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye and the Wrecking Crew providing the music. All recorded in Gold Star Studios where Brian's hero Phil Spector recorded all the Ronettes hits. Brian, Van Dyke Parks, and the surviving Beach Boys teamed up in 2011 to finally re-assemble the original SMiLE recordings. It has been digitally remastered and released in box set form, titled "The SMiLE Sessions". It includes a vinyl album and cd version of the completed SMiLE album, and four cd's of outtakes. It also comes with the booklet of artwork that Frank Holmes designed for the original record, plus a hardback book all about the album with alot of rare photos. The box set is amazing, the sound quality is outstanding. For years I was used to hearing bootleg quality versions of these tracks because that was the only way to listen to it, no one was even sure what order the songs and various link tracks would have went. I'm glad The Beach Boys finally completed this album. It's such a shame it was never released in the psychedelic summer of '67. It may very well have topped Sgt Pepper!

Surf's Up

Wind Chimes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oKbjSaWFUE

Good Vibrations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0F_98265uw

*Pet Sounds* is a sublime album, certainly one of the best, most beautifully composed and recorded works of music made in the past 50 years.

And the legendary *Smile* is also great -although, like all "lost" albums, the inevitable mythology that surrounded it and the stories behind it almost upstages the actual recordings -of which there were many, as you folk seem to know, many recordings and experimentations with the same songs. There must be at least a dozen versions of Heroes and Villains for example. And they're all good.

It's a sad tale, Brian's crack-up and his drug and mental health problems that plagued him for years. But at least he can look in the mirror and know that the person looking back at him can be proud that he contributed such great and enduring music to the world - regardless (as opposed to "irregardless") of what else has happened in his life, nothing can take that away from him. He has created a thing of beauty many times, and offered it to the world.

Here's a delectable track from one of the Beach Boys' post- *PetSounds*, post- *Smile* era recordings. Only problem is, it's too short.

Shows old Brian still had it. Here, from the album *Sunflower*, is This Whole World :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xz5QDsYSto

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 25, 2013 3:09 PM

I still say that the best album ever released is Marvin Gaye 's "What's Going On". (It's got a lot more than the title track, "Mercy Mercy Me", and "Inner City Blues"-----for example, the sublime "What's Happening, Brother".

Edited by: finance on Jan 25, 2013 4:56 PM

Darkblue, here's my favorite version of SURF'S UP. It's from the Brian Wilson Tribute concert. Vince Gill is amazing & I love how they extend the ending.

btw, that tribute concert has MANY great artists paying tribute to Brian. Check out Billy Joel's cover of DON'T WORRY BABY or Mathew Sweet's cover of SAIL ON SAILOR or Paul Simon's cover of SURFER GIRL.

And Rowan, as far as which version of SMiLE is best, I think it depends on what you grew to love to begin with. I never heard the original Beach Boy recordings (although I had heard OF them) so I only knew the versions I grew to love: from Brian's solo recordings in 2004. Although I will say this: After listening to the versions you posted, they are very much superior to the '04 versions if only because Brian's voice was so beautiful on the originals.

Misswonderly, I've heard that SUNFLOWER was a great album although I haven't got it. I need to buy it. Ever heard this song, miss wonderly? I heard the other Beach Boys say in an interview it was the last great song Brian wrote for them. I'm not sure if it's on SUNFLOWER.

*Aye, or* *Cabernet Sauvignon to Pinot Noir* *!!*

....Believe him missing with a number of men

Don't expect to see him again.

{noformat}

{noformat}

I've always been a big Who fan. Speaking of The Who, there are a suprising number of similarities between their abandoned Lifehouse album and the Beach Boys abandoned SMiLE album. For instance, both Pete Townshend and Brian Wilson suffered nervous breakdowns that caused them to scrap their overly ambitious projects (although Pete recovered much quicker). Also, the best tracks from SMiLE were thrown together quickly for the replacement Smiley Smile lp, just like the best tracks from Lifehouse were salvaged to create the Who's Next lp.

I don't know if anyone else on here agrees, but I think Tommy sounded way heavier live than on the album. Here's a live track from the Isle of Wight festival 1970, "We're Not Gonna Take It".

You're very welcome, RowenMartin. B-)

BigFace, Til I Die is from the album *Surf's Up*, which came out around a year after *Sunflower*. Surf's Up the song was of course on this recording; it's the only song from the legendary *Smile* that was released for a long time.

Edit: Well, no, that's not really true. *Smiley Smile* was released in 1967, and it contained several songs originally intended for the *Smile* release, including Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations.

Til I Die is truly a great song. Everything about it - the melody, the lyrics, the vocals -reflects the existentialist melancholy Brian was feeling at the time.

It's also used, Ithinkbutamnotsure, in the film *Almost Famous*.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 26, 2013 11:09 AM

It's not only *Tommy* that sounds way heavier live; everything the Who ever recorded is heavier live than on the studio album. The Who were almost like two different bands, the musicians who play and sing, sometimes like choirboys (compliment, not insult) on their studio recordings, and the b*lls-out super charged power-rock ultra volume so- heavy-we're-blown-away rock band experience that was the Who playing live. (especially after 1968.)

They were a fantastic band. (By the way, anyone read Pete Townsend's recently-released autobiography, "Who Am I"?) But I never feel the need to compare bands and music, as a lot of people do.

"The Beatles vs the Stones, who was the better guitarist, Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton? who wrote lovelier melodies, the Kinks or the Beach Boys, which album was better Sgt. Pepper or Pet Sounds, Marvin Gaye is way better than all of the above yes or no" and on and on.

They're all great. They're all different. Why is there this need to compare, to say "so and so is better than such and such", "x was the better album than y" etc. etc.

It's the same with film-people are always arguing on these boards about what was the "best" gangster/western/ pre-code, whatever movie. I don't feel the need to do this. No argument, there are many bad movies, old and new, and there is a lot of bad music, new and old. But when it comes to the quality stuff, I dont' "get" anything out of discussions/arguments as to which was "better". They're all great. They 're all unique.

Exactly! Thats why I said earlier that I really don't have a favorite album or artist. I enjoy discussing music though I guess, but there's no way to ever determine which albums/artists are better than others. For me it's just something that's fun to talk about with other like-minded music fans. I like your description of The Who live experience lol...

No I haven't read "Who Am I." Any good?

I've already posted so in this thread, but The Doors are one of my all-time favorites. And here is one of my favorite songs, "Waiting For the Sun":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxHR-Y6GBHQ

On another note, Jim Morrison was one of the great lyricists, imo. You can't understand them a lot of the time, but I love the creative imagery (I'm not sure if he wrote the lyrics to "Waiting"; I'm just commenting in general).