Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Jim Morrison was a true poet. He has said on many occasions that the only thing he wanted to be remembered by was his words. Have you ever read his poetry book "Lords and New Creatures"? Full of astounding imagery. In the book he wrote alot about what movies and the art of cinema meant to him:

"Cinema derives not from painting, literature, sculpture, theatre, but from ancient popular wizardry. It is the contemporary manifestation of an evolving history of shadows, a delight in pictures that move, a belief in magic. Its lineage is entwined from the earliest beginning with Priests and sorcery, a summoning of phantoms. Each film depends on all the others and drives you on to others. Cinema was a novelty, a scientific toy, until a sufficient body of works had been amassed, enough to create an intermittent other world, a powerful, infinite mythology to be dipped into at will. Films have an illusion of timelessness fostered by their regular, indomitable apperance."

I've always really liked that.

I have read that book, but it was a long time back. When I was around 13 (many years back) he was my idol because of his creative genius. The book "No One Here Gets Out Alive" was my bible. ;)

Speaking of incredible lyrics on a song, I love the song "The Soft Parade". Great changes of music style, too... (I think I remember your saying you didn't like this album, and some of the songs there are sub-par, but for me the title track stands out):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XlqCFi6o-E

*I don't know if anyone else on here agrees, but I think Tommy sounded way heavier live than on the album. Here's a live track from the Isle of Wight festival*

Actually, I prefer the studio album because it combines the beautifully strummed accoustic alongside the tasteful guitar licks like in Pinball Wizard and many others. That balance is a work of art.

These songs as such would be impossible to duplicate in concert because you would need two guitarists.

Very nice, Eugenia (and I mean "nice" in a good way, not the negative bland connotation for the word we talked about once in another thread. As if these guys could be bland !)

Looks like those kids are searching for Frodo and Sam on the slope of that mountain they stagger over; I can even sort of make out some kind of giant ring lying around on all those rocks. ;

Well, your favourite Led Zeppelin song is a good one, certainly not an obvious choice. Jimmy Page was equally adept at acoustic and electric guitar, wasn't he?

Oh, never mind his musicianship, I just think he was the sexiest guy in the business, back then. There's nothing sexier than Jimmy Page bending intently over his guitar, like an enraptured lover talking with his woman. Back in the band's heyday, that is. I'm afraid time has taken its toll on old Jimmy. Time and maybe alcohol.

Robert Plant, on the other hand, still looks pretty good.

Enough blathering. I'm afraid that MY favourite Led Zeppelin song IS an obvious choice. This one rocks hard. Nobody could do it like these guys. TURN IT UP ! Whole Lotta Love :

Perfect for waking up on a soggy Tuesday morning.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:

> }{quote}No mention of a Neil Sedaka atrocity should exclude his one and only foray onto the silver screen!

>

> Anyone remember this 1968 horror movie? Made in Canada, ay.

>

>

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065624/reference

>

Speaking of Neil Sedaka atrocities, have you heard his immortal "Do The Jellyfish" in the 1965 turkey STING OF DEATH?

Actually the song is rather catchy and enjoyable even in its absurdity, with a nice ska/reggae beat. But the lyrics are certainly nothing to be proud of!

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Say would you will about Neil Sedaka, but ALL his melodies were catchy. Incidentally, in his early hit "Oh, Carol", the "Carol" was Carole KIng, who was the object of a teenage crush of Neil's.

WAIT ! It's "Neil" Sedaka? I could have sworn you spelled it the other day as "Neal" Sedaka. (This was on another thread, but no matter.)

So I spelled it "Neal", without looking it up, cause you spelled it that way.

Good lord, I was only just beginning to recover from mispelling Pete TownsHend's name.

*I could have sworn you spelled it the other day as "Neal" Sedaka.*

He did a little further down on the thread, and when I responded I spelled it as "Neil". Since finance probably knows that I'm always right no matter what, he must have changed it... ;)

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Say would you will about Neil Sedaka, but ALL his melodies were catchy. Incidentally, in his early hit "Oh, Carol", the "Carol" was Carole KIng, who was the object of a teenage crush of Neil's.

Can you blame him? More talent in her little finger than all the corporate posers of the last 20 years combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urt2cy7AqFs