Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Yesterday my boss lent me a 4-CD set of jazz music, samples from the early roots to the present. While I'm not a huge jazz fan I can definitely listen to and appreciate it, and can pick out particular songs.

Anyway, last night on this set I discovered this gem. Bessie Jones and "The Buzzard Lope":

Lol... She's the person I'll be replacing (she's retiring), so that part doesn't matter. :) She's the same one who in the past has played opera so loud in her office that my flesh used to crawl (along with my officemate's) in the office next to her..

I find it funny that with the Super Bowl being in New Orleans the media is pushing jazz, over and over again. e.g. many reference to jazz in the media promos, sports talk, showing sax players, etc...

But for the half time act we get a lip singing pop act. Hey I understand this since jazz is often too complex for most people to enjoy (but New Orleans type jazz is some of the most basic and easy to follow). I guess I should be happy that jazz music is even mentioned today.

*But for the half time act we get a lip singing pop act. Hey I understand this since jazz is often too complex for most people to enjoy (but New Orleans type jazz is some of the most basic and easy to follow). I guess I should be happy that jazz music is even mentioned today.*

Give me jazz over a lip-syncing pop act any day, James! :) It seems that today, all over the radio, a lot of what I hear is techno pop (or electronic dance music, closer to what I mean), with banal lyrics and the singer's voice totally distorted and buried in the mix. I can't say that music (speaking specifically in the U.S.) has a bleak future, because it's constantly morphing and changing, but I find that personally, I think the music "of yore" had more quality... And still, there is some good music out there today. Not to be too dismissive and cranky. ;)

> {quote:title=EugeniaH wrote:}{quote}Lol... She's the same one who in the past has played opera so loud in her office that my flesh used to crawl (along with my officemate's) in the office next to her..

Just thank the Lord it's not rap! My wife works in a hospital kitchen & her co-workers play rap music all day. By about 3:00 everyday she's ready to put a bullet in her brain. Her dad was an immigrant from Poland who loved polka music. I told her to take some of his polka music he gave her & play it at work. Seems fair to me.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I still say that the best album ever released is Marvin Gaye 's "What's Going On". (It's got a lot more than the title track, "Mercy Mercy Me", and "Inner City Blues"-----for example, the sublime "What's Happening, Brother".

I know this is almost two weeks later - an eternity in message board time ! - but I kept meaning to post the song here after I read this post from finance. I agree with him, it's an outstanding album.

(Although I wouldn't say "the best album ever released", but then, I wouldn't say that of any one record album.) Everyone knows "Mercy Mercy Me", but there were many other great tracks from Marvin Gayes's What's Going On?

Listening to this truly soulful record by Marvin Gaye makes me feel sad for two reasons. The first is the theme running through the album, his plea for caring, about each other and about the world. Naive though it sounds, why can't people get along? And Gaye's question resonates just as much if not more today than it did in 1971.

The second reason this music saddens me is how Marvin Gaye's own life ended. So strange, and so far from his ongoing search for peace and compassion.

Anyway, sorry, over-long post as usual. Here's "What's Happening, Brother?" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8pm8rEGQIk

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 4, 2013 11:52 AM

The perennial chestnut "Happy Birthday to You" really does suck. Ok, it's just a short ditty people sing while someone promenades in with the birthday cake, candles alight, icing a-tempting. The song doesn't matter enough for analysis.

Still, since it is a song everyone sings and has sung to them fairly often ( usually), does it have to have such a banal, lame tune? And what's up with everyone singing it in a different key? That's been my experience, anyway. Plus, they drag it. I always try to speed it up, but get no takers.

So we have this uninspiring, draggy, off-key anthem croaked to us by our loved ones every time we get a year older. Like that's gonna make us feel better.

(I don't know where all that came from, I don't really give "Happy Birthday" much thought one way or the other 99.9 % of the time.)

It would.

Here is my nomination for the Beatles' "Today is Your Birthday" as the official replacement of the lukewarm dirge-like played-out "Happy Birthday to You".

I will add, the one exception to the things I said about the latter song in my previous post about it is the version Marilyn Monroe sang to President Kennedy.

Thank you all for your wonderful birthday wishes. It was very kind of you. The Beatles Birthday is wonderful, but for Russ's birthday last December I thought of this one.. haha'

Thank you for not asking my age... At least I am younger (but not too young)

I am capable of still making mistakes, but not the kind that I cannot find humorous. That's the secret of maturity - making mistakes you can still laugh about later.