Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Happy Birthday Charlotte! Hope you had a fun day!

I know this is late, but I just found this on YouTube:

Sheriff John as a local (LA) kids program in the 1960s and early 70s.

I remember hearing this as a kid.

Edited by: Scottman on Feb 10, 2013 2:14 PM to add music

What about "Mommy Dearest"? (which I must admit I have not read. Nor seen the movie.)

So was her daughter adopted? Or are you joshin' me?

I suppose I should be embarrassed at my ignorance concerning this legendary movie star and her progengy (or lack of), but I've never much followed the personal lives of these people.

Nobody seems to have heard of Arthur Alexander, which is too bad, because he wrote some great songs. I love his stuff. Many bands covered his work, including the Beatles ("Anna".)

I don't really know why he is so obscure.

Here's one of my favourites by him. I love that reverb-y call-and-response guitar. Think I might have posted this before, maybe on another thread, but it deserves repeat listenings

Besides, it reflects how I'm feeling these days -although not towards anyone who hangs out on this thread, I hasten to add.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-AYID5vcZ4

Eugenia, nice to hear that old Queen tune again. (oops, not sure "old Queen" sounds quite right in that sentence. But then again, maybe it does. Rock on, Freddie Mercury !) Queen certainly had a unique sound, they're like the Gilbert and Sullivan of rock. Inherent dramatic qualities in their music.

Oh wow, man, ain't nothin' like The Dead. Thank you, RowanMartin.

Yes, darkblue, poor old Arthur Alexander's is another tale of a talent that never fully bloomed. (Am I waxing lyrical here, or what?)

I have a CD of a collection of his stuff, and every single track is great. No duds on the entire album.

I'd better move on.

I know some people dismiss Bruce Springsteen as "a rich man in a poor man's shirt" (his own words), and a puffed-up arena rocker with not much original to say. Or play. But I disagree with this school of thought.

Here's the last song on his album "Tunnel of Love", Valentine's Day. This track proves that a tune doesn't have to be particularly earth-shaking, or hard-rocking, or even played by virtuoso musicians to be good. Sometimes the quality of a song is in something else, a feeling, a mood that is perfectly captured. Springsteen's Valentine's Day is an example of how sometimes repetition and simplicity in a piece of music is exactly what makes it work. This is a hypnotic, calming, lullabye of a song, with little touches that raise it above just a series of repeated lines. It's in 3/4 time, which adds to its general dopamine-inducing power.

Eugenia and darkblue, what I just experienced on this thread is an example of why these music threads are fun and worthwhile.

If you'd asked me about either of those songs ("But it's Alright" and "We Were Sweethearts") I would have said I'd never heard them, and never even heard of them. But when I clicked the links and listened to the songs, I recognized both of them!

Everyone knows "But It's Alright", I realized that as soon as I heard the opening riff. Great r 'n b tune.

"We Were Sweethearts" got me exploring the music of Boz Scaggs. I'd heard of him, but knew little about him. But when I checked out some of the tracks from "Silk Degrees" I realized I knew his stuff better than I thought, it was part of the soundtrack of my life in the 1970s, I just didn't know it.

"Lowdown" and "Lido Shuffle", they were on all the time, everywhere.

I realize they're not from the album "We Were Sweethearts" is on, but they are from his most famous abum, and since I knew so little about Boz Scaggs that was my starting point.

What was interesting about this whole exercise was the insight that I'd paid little attention to Boz Scaggs' music at the time- I was all about Roxy Music and Davis Bowie and the pre-cursers to punk and new wave. I thought Scaggs' songs were too L.A. sounding, too relaxed, too "hanging out on a yacht with plants and a white wine spritzer" , for me.

I felt the same way about Steely Dan. But now I really like Steely Dan, my tastes have become more encompassing.

In fact, "Lowdown" really reminds me of Steely Dan, very cool, semi-jazzy, excellent musicianship. So I was kind of gratified to read that Boz Scaggs and Steely Dan were on tour together a few years ago. Makes sense. Both are kind of L.A. cool, intellectual, jazz'rock bands. Not that I like to label, or anything !

Anyway, thanks to both of you for some great music.

Delicious stuff, guys. I must have heard more Boz Scaggs this weekend than I heard throughout the entire 70s. At least, more Boz Scaggs that I've actually paid attention to. Ah, I was young and foolish then, too cool for school. Or at least, thought I was too cool for the likes of Boz Scaggs and Steely Dan, both of whom I now realize were fantastic musicians.

Yeah, finance, "Lowdown" and some of the other tracks from "Silk Degrees" that I checked out definitely have that blue-eyed soul vibe to them. Kind of like Van the Man, actually, although he's a bit too intense to imagine hanging out in a fern bar with a white wine spritzer and a medallian around his unbuttoned shirt. (Not that I'm saying Boz Scaggs or Walter Becker or Donald Fagen ever did that, it's just that their music makes me think they might. B-) )

So now I don't know whether to post more Boz, or a Steely Dan number, or even a Frank Sinatra song that's been going through my head (attended a little jazz combo show today, Cole Porter songs, some of which old Frank recorded the definitive version .)

Or...Van Morrison.

Yes, I think I'll have to go with Van. Sorry fi, I know you're not a big fan of Van the Man. Tough. Put me on "ignore".

Here's a great track for a quiet Sunday evening, Enlightenment (although he's not in his "white r 'n b" mode with this one.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuxs6WXU5z0

ps: Eugenia, thanks again for the J.J. Jackson track. We're all talking about soul here; that's a classic soul song. I looked him up too. Shame he didn't make more recordings.

*ps: Eugenia, thanks again for the J.J. Jackson track.*

You're welcome. :) Oddly enough, I first became aware of this track when Huey Lewis and the News ( ! ) did a cover of it in 1994. It was one of those songs that was so 'infectious' that I got into it immediately. I posted the original to be a "purist" but both versions are good.

Here's my quick Boz contribution, my favorite: "Lido Shuffle":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s8l75Oxf1U

Edited by: EugeniaH on Feb 17, 2013 6:14 PM

It can be disappointing when we talk about a favourite band or musician and those who don't know as much about them as you do flock to their "hits" and more popular music, when you know that the more obscure ( or as our friend finance might say, "esoteric") stuff is better. But it is ever thus. If one is fairly ignorant about something, the best place to start is the "hits". This goes for movies too. If someone has heard of Humphrey Bogart and wants to learn more about him, they'll probably start with *Casablanca*, as opposed to *In a Lonely Place* (although both are equally good in different ways.)

I listened to "Georgia". The lyrics are truly poetic. A classic theme, some guy's in prison because of some girl, and he passes the time by dreaming of her. (By the way I love the name "Georgia".)

Moving from Boz to Frank: Yesterday I attended this little show, one bassist, one guitarist, one vocalist. It was an all Cole Porter concert, and they were pretty darned good. But when the young lady launched into "I've Got You Under My Skin", as fine a job of it as she did, I kept thinking of what I consider to be the definitive version of the tune, defined as it is by none other than Frank Sinatra.

Apparently one of his strengths was his "phrasing", how he'd interpret the rhythm and lyrics of a song, and how he'd pace it. You can really see that in action in this track. Here it be:

That's nice, mw. I like to listen to Maud Hixson..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viHGJNRx_5w

Ella Fitzgerald did songbooks in the fifties for Porter and Gershwin, and I do think she handles Gershwin's music masterfully. I do agree with your assessment of Sinatra. With his so warm and friendly baritone, I could listen to all night with the standards.

Easy to Love, isn't easy to start... But the Chairman of the Board can handle it.

Scottman, thanks for that. Climax Blues Band is another group I've heard of, but never knew that much about. I can't help but wonder if you posted them because of our conversation around Boz Scaggs. That song reminded me a little of the Boz Scaggs sound. Or maybe Bozz Scaggs sounds a little like the Climax Blues Band. I guess there were a lot of good musicians around then, musicians who were good at creating that semi-funky, kind of relaxed sound I associate with the mid '70s (which after all is when all these guys peaked. Steely Dan too.)

casablancalover, I remember you posted something by Maud Hixson here before. She is good.

Can we call female jazz singers like her "chantoosies"? I want to, it's a fun word, reminiscent of the "dames" who sang in those old 30s and 40s movies we love so much. Especially film noir. I know it's based on the French "chanteuse" (singer) but "chantoosy" is more fun to say, plus it rhymes (sort of) with "floozie".

I am not saying that Maud Hixson is a floozie.

Well, guys, you knew it was coming. Here's Steely Dan with "Deacon Blues". It really captures that "relaxed" cool jazz/pop sound I've been talking about. It's long, so grab a wine spritzer to sip while you're listening. Or better yet, scotch whisky.