Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I always ignore "spellcheck" no matter what it says. I am better than spellcheck.

I don't usually post two songs in one day, but if I consider this finance's post, I can reconcile it in my mind.

The Beach Boys' Warmth of the Sun is a song you could play for someone who'd never heard the Beach Boys' music, to demonstrate their exquisite voices, the harmonies, the almost sublime melodies they were capable of. It's as lush and sweet to lose oneself in as the warmth of the sun itself is.

Here ya go, fi:

But the photos in the youtube are not the vistas that the Beach Boys' songs, including this one, bring to mind......Manhattan Beach, CA. Shapely blondes. Surfboards. Crashing waves. Beach volleyball......All in the, yes, warm sunshine.

Well, since we seem to be on a roll with the sun songs, here's one of my very favourites. I know they play this on "oldies" stations all the time, but since I rarely listen to "oldies" stations, I don't get sick of the good "oldies" they play. Often they are genuinely good songs, as is this one.

Sunshine Superman is the kind of song that makes you feel like you're cool, just to be listening to it.

Oh yeah, I am so relaxed for that two minutes and twenty-eight seconds. Lull me to sleep, John baby. Ya gotta love that fake Spanish he improvises at the end. Not to mention the rhythmical cricket at the beginning. But then Mean Mr. Mustard comes along and wakes us up.

Sunny Afternoon is one of my "deserted island" songs, it's right up there.

But I associate it more with summer than with spring, which is why it didn't occur to me to post it. (Not that I'm complaining that you did, I'm always ready to listen to Sunny Afternoon.)

I am diverging from our "sun/spring" theme today, to honour a fine Canadian musician who is little known outside his native land. Stompin' Tom Connors died yesterday at the age of 77. The easiest way to explain who he was is to say he was Canada's answer to Johnny Cash, although he was unique, certainly not a "copy cat" of the American folk/country singers. He was in his own way pretty darned good, and I wish I'd had a chance to see him play live. Here's Bud the Spud:

To each his own. I prefer Elenor as the finest example of the Turtles' oeuvre. How can you beat "I really think you're groovy, let's go out to a movie" ?

Back to the sun. And tomorrow is Saturday. Here's Nick Drake with Saturday Sun :

Are you sure, fi? I'd always thought Lorenz Hart wrote the lyrics for the immortal "Yummy Yummy Yummy".

Ah, Procol Harum. They were good. Here's one of my favourite tracks from their second album, "Shine On Brightly".

This one's entitled Quite Rightly So. It's very existential and all that, good for a contemplative Sunday afternoon. And yet it kind of rocks, too.

ps: bigface, if you think "Whiter Shade of Pale" is exquisitely beautiful, you probably like Bach.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 10, 2013 12:25 PM

Well, as you probably know fi, I don't subscribe to the concept of "best", the world is so full of a number of things...

But a few who come to mind who were certainly A-One are Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, John Lennon, Ray Davies, and Van Morrison. Joni Mitchell.

But today I aint a-gonna post anything by those individuals. In fact the tune I'm thinking of would probably work equally well with gibberish for lyrics. But damn, it's got a groove. When I was a teenager and heard this song, I really liked it, but had no idea what it was about. Apparently it's a "stoner" song. Whatever, it's pretty darn good.

War with Low Rider (hope everyone can access this video, there was some message about how you have to have this or that on your computer to receive it.)

This is a magnificent song by the "folk-rock" group Fotheringay. It's too bad it can only be listened to here on computer speakers, because there is so much going on behind Sandy Denny's lovely voice.

Two Weeks Last Summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b4PRb3H-rA

...There's another version that's even better than this, more intense and mysterious, more interesting and varied instrumentation, but it does not appear to be available on youtube, just the Fotheringay album.

Edited by: misswonderly on Mar 13, 2013 4:32 PM