Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Some of my favorites by Nat include "Mona Lisa", "Nature Boy", "Smile" and "Unforgettable". But there are endless others I'm sure I'm forgetting...he had an exquisite voice like no other.

wait a second dahlink! we have to share OUR francis! heehee! ;)

i love "mona lisa" and "unforgettable". i showed my daddy that song, "unforgettable" and he immidiately fell in love with it. now he wants to hear it first whenver i put a cd of his on the radio. he makes me skip all the songs to get to it too. goondess! heehee!

also love his version of "Stardust". of course i have two versions of that that are my favorite! i have frankie francis, singing "stardust" too with glenn miller, and tommy dorsey and benny goodman, and that version is so gorgeous. i think frankie and nat should have teamed together and sang "stardust". what a treat that would have been!

Judging by all those bottles behind them and the drink in Frank's hand, they could be singing "Whiskey Leave Me Alone" or "Red, Red Wine" or "One For My Baby (One More for the Road)" :P

*Miss Goddess* : Not to talk this to death but since you expressed interest let me cue you on what to watch for. Just briefly:

*SPOILERS SPOILERS*

The Love-Death is second part of the composition and is the music that Burr buys for the girl. We hear only the briefest excerpt but it's enough. This is what Conte hears in the airport later.

Near the end this woman is standing on a ladder (storeroom?) and someone comes in and says that the constabulary has come and wants to speak to her. She knows now the jig is up and that moment the Prelude starts and continues right on into the next scene when the woman relates a flashback. The music works beautifully. It's always interesting to me how the classics are used in film.

*END SPOILER*

*ButterSG* : I can't get Youtube on dialup so I couldn't here what you posted. Was it the Blue Gardenia song? Or did he ever actually record that? I meant to say something about Nat in my earlier post. The song in the movie has a wonderfully nostalgic lilt to it. Did anybody mention "Sweet Lorraine"? There's a jazzy informality to that song I love. How to describe that wonderful voice.

I can't get Youtube on dialup so I couldn't here what you posted. Was it the Blue Gardenia song? Or did he ever actually record that? I meant to say something about Nat in my earlier post. The song in the movie has a wonderfully nostalgic lilt to it.

oh im sorry! yes it was Nat singing The Blue Gardenia in the movie. i have it on one of my records of his, but i dont know if it was released as a compilation of his songs. maybe he did record it on an actual record of his. ill have to look that up.

Did anybody mention "Sweet Lorraine"? There's a jazzy informality to that song I love. How to describe that wonderful voice.

"sweet lorraine"!! i love sweet lorraine, the first timei heard this i was at grandmama's house of course. she was humming it while cleaning the kitchen and i didnt know what it was at the time, so now whenever i hear it i can always hear her humming it in the song along with the regular music. isnt that weird? heehee!

>i hear it i can always hear her humming it in the song along with the regular music. isnt that weird? heehee!

Well, I don't think Nat would mind the competition ... not in this case. ;)

Nat King Cole is a very interesting musician. As well as he sang ( and that means great!) he was an even better pianist. His light touch and inventive jazz style is thrilling to listen to. I love him either singing or playing the piano....

Sorry, I have to post a you tube link- this is not even close to his best- just a taste. I couldn't find any other decent videos of his marvelous playing. If you get any of his King Cole Trio cd's you will be in for a treat.

*Tea for Two*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7hbkQexqXs

hey cinie!!

wow your kid sister was named after Nat's song "lorraine"? thats so cool! i have a friend who's wife's name is Maureen. her parents named her after Maureen o' Sullivan. isnt that cute? he didnt know who she was after all thoas years of knowing that about his wife, so i had to enlighten him just a wee bit. heehee!

hey chris!! how are you this loverly morning?

see, thats who i thought ny friend's wife was named after when he said, "maureen". i said, "like maureen o' hara?". he said that her parents faorite actress was maureen o" sullivan though. thats okay i like her stuff too! i havent heard that nickname for maureen before. sounds cute! i always liked then ame maureen too, b/c it sounds harmonious to me. lyrical, although sounds like a great description instead!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Miss G!

Just a follow-up since I mentioned a defect with my *Annette Hanshaw* - It Was So Beautiful CD

and subsequent exchange earlier in the thread.

I thought I'd re-purchase that one since I bought my original copy a few years back already now.

This new copy's fine and it's nice to hear the end of the last song without that garbled noise!

Anyone want to buy a defective CD?

I found an artist named *Lee Morse* in the related products column over at Amazon

and I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of her before.

I'll probably go ahead and purchase her *Lee Morse* : Echoes Of A Songbird: 50 Recordings From 1924-1930 CD.

Message was edited by: Snorky

Hi April, from what I gather reading the Amazon reviews

this UK CD release is the only thing standing between her and obscurity these days

but according to (her) website she was:

...One of the most popular female recording artists during the Jazz Age 20's and 30's.

- http://www.leemorse.com/

I listened to a song sample and don't think her voice has quite the charm of *Annette Hanshaw* but that was just one song.

Some motion picture related tidbits from the website:

_1930_

(She) lost her prestigious position as lead female singer for the Broadway musical, "Simple Simon" starring Ed Wynn. (She was) replaced by Ruth Etting.

(Lee Morse) was featured in three short subject films:

"Song Service" (Paramount)

"A Million Me's" (Paramount)

"The Music Racket" (Vitaphone)