Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

You could be right. A long time ago I played in a cover rock band and they liked to play hard rock metal; Zep Black Sabbath, etc..

I liked British rock more. I finally got them to play some Beatles songs; Guess which ones: Helter Skelter, and Everybody Got Something To Hide.

Well it is interesting that "Helter Skelter" is associated with Charles Manson. One can see how Manson could of interpreted other songs on the White Album as being messages to him from the fab four; e.g. Piggies, Honey Pie and Rocky Raccoon. But Helter Skelter is about a water slide.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}... Helter Skelter is about a water slide.

I don't think it's so much a water slide, more a very tall wooden structure with a long slide curling all around it. On dry land.. I'd thought it was a roller coaster, but was wrong about that. Here's a picture of one:

HelterSkelter2.jpg

A very British amusement park ride.

( The song is also, I'm pretty sure, about something else - something that a "helter skelter" could be a good metaphor for...sorry to be coy. And I'm not meaning anything about the scary Charles Manson, either.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 30, 2013 10:30 PM

Here is a song that has probably been posted on some thread or other on this website before now, given what it's about. It was going through my head the other day.

The Kinks, with the wistful, elegiac, Celluloid Heroes :

You really think Paul had some other 'hidden' meaning in the song? Wow, if he did I'm not getting it. I'm taking the Glass Onion POV here; (a song that mocks all the hidden meanings fans found in songs that Paul and John never intended).

So can you give me a hint what the lyrics are really about? Did Paul ever confirm this?

Yea, I though that is what you would say. Well unless Paul confirmed this I think it is just a case of you doing the Glass Onion.

Any song with the words bottom, slide, top, et... could be related to SEX (or George Brent as in the case of bottom!).

Well, I don't really care enough about this subject to argue about it. I will just say, long before I'd heard about the Charles Manson thing, and even before I knew what a "helter skelter" was, I thought the song was about sex. It's no big deal, lots of songs are about sex.

It's the way Paul sings it, and the intensity of the song. Plus, yes, the lyrics. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what he means. I still say the "helter skelter" is a metaphor for sex- but I do not want to go into detail to explain why. Besides, sometimes these things are just intuitive.

Why should Paul McCartney "confirm" what the song is about? None of the Beatles did this very much, when asked about their songs. And I like it that way, I don't really want a songwriter to "explain" the meaning of their song.

So, anybody listen to- and watch - "Celluloid Heroes" ? I thought the posters on this website would be particularly receptive to it.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

>

> Why should Paul McCartney "confirm" what the song is about? None of the Beatles did this very much, when asked about their songs. And I like it that way, I don't really want a songwriter to "explain" the meaning of their song.

I think that was kinda James' point when he alluded to GLASS ONION. And actually the Beatles were always very candid about what their songs were about & what the inspiration for them was. I don't know what the metaphor was (if any) Paul was alluding to in HELTER SKELTER, but I do remember him saying in an interview it was a reaction to something Pete Townshend said. Paul heard Pete say the the Who had just recorded the loudest, dirtiest, raunchiest, bada$$ song ever. Paul thought to himself: "Hey, that sounds fun. I wanna do that too."

And James, so your heavy metal band covered SKELTER, huh? No WHEN I'M 64 or YELLOW SUBMARINE? (ha ha)

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}Here is a song that has probably been posted on some thread or other on this website before now, given what it's about. It was going through my head the other day.

>

> The Kinks, with the wistful, elegiac, Celluloid Heroes :

>

>

Great song, misswonderly. Especially appropriate for these messageboards, of course.

I see that BigFace understands the point I was making. I get that to you the song is about sex. To me the lyrics describe the experience of going down a slide like the one you showed in the picture and nothing more, which is the folly John was poking fun at in Glass Onion. (people tell me the walrus was Paul and point to the song Glass Onion, but John was just fooling with these fools on the hill that attempt to roll a dove tail joint!).

Of course it is A-Ok for people to get whatever meaning they want from a song or work of art, intended by the artist or not. But that doesn't mean that in this case Paul's intent was a song about sex or NOT about sex. Only Paul knows.

Thanks for posting Celluloid Heros. One of my favorite songs. When I sing the song Sanders is the one person people ask about as in 'who was that person?'. To me Sanders is the 'odd man out' (i.e. the reasons for the other actors mentioned are more clear). Don't know why Ray picked Sanders; Maybe he wanted to honor one of his fellow countrymen.

I didn't stay long in that band because we did play too much hard, really loud rock for my taste. Like I said when I mentioned 'hey, how about playing some Beatles tunes' I was mocked. But I mentioned Skelter and Everybody Got Something To Hide and we played these songs later adding Come Together. If I would of said 'And I Love Her' (a song I play with a current band), I would of been throw to the wolfs!