• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

misswonderly said...

So, anybody here a Paul Simon fan?

Sure!

Paul Simon trivia:

What was distinctive about initial pressings of the 45 of Paul Simon's song "Slip Slidin' Away"?

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:

>

> Paul Simon trivia:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> What was distinctive about initial pressings of the 45 of Paul Simon's song "Slip Slidin' Away"?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> }{quote}

I don't know.... do tell us. I do know that "Slip Slidin' Away" is a great song, like so much of Paul Simon's work, it's gently contemplative, puts you in a philosophical mode (or mood, take your pick) just by listening to it. The thing about his lyrics is, he asks the "big questions" without coming across as pretentious or pose-y. He just writes about the basic things that we all think about sometimes, except he puts these thoughts to poetry set to music. You can't hear this verse in the song without going, "Yeah, I've felt like that". Maybe he's not saying anything particularly original; maybe it's just the way he says it: (this is the last verse in "Slip Slidin' Away:)

God only knows

God makes his plan

The information's unavailable

To the mortal man

We work our jobs

Collect our pay

Believe we're gliding down the highway

When in fact we're slip slidin' away

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}S& G started as Tom and Jerry, recording "Hey Schoolgirl".

Now that bit of S & G trivia, I did know.

Maybe it was the time just before Simon recorded his first song with Garfunkel that he's remembering in Late in the Evening. This is one of my favourite songs, period. It's so joyful, so life-affirming. And so damn good to dance to. Simon's celebrating some of his what I call "life moments", a moment of joy that you always remember. Turn this up and samba ! (or something.)

You especially, db. (since you said you liked this, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWXXtR34v0

> {quote:title=misswonderly said...}{quote}

> > {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:

> }{quote}

Paul Simon trivia:

What was distinctive about initial pressings of the 45 of Paul Simon's song "Slip Slidin' Away"?

I don't know.... do tell us. I do know that "Slip Slidin' Away" is a great song, like so much of Paul Simon's work...

When it came out on a 45 it preceeded the album it was to be on, "Greatest Hits, Etc." But on the first pressings of the 45 the album title was given as "Blatant Greatest Hits" (early working title, to be changed). A quick look at the 45 on eBay shows some of each different label variation listed...even a Canadian pressing. So I guess my original, purchased right when it came out still ain't such a priceless rarity!

Anyone hear of the Lumineers? Great sounding group.

How about Gotye with "Somebody I Used To Know"?

How about the group that sings "Little Talks" from Iceland?

How about the group FUN?

I kinda like some of the above, newer groups.

Hahaha, I love your story! I wonder what it means? (Maybe I should post the YouTube link to the theme to "The Twilight Zone". ;) )

I'm the last person to qualify as a knowledgeable critic of the Rolling Stones' music, but if I were to arrange the song "She's A Rainbow" in my own way, I would reduce the number of piano breaks and add more lyrics to the song. I do like the piano music, no doubt, but once the lyrics start ("Have you seen her dressed in gold...") you kind of want to keep going with that flow, and rock along. The multiple piano breaks kind of "slow it down"; slow up the rhythm of the song. Well, just an armchair musician's two cents!

P.S. 735 CDs?? I remember your saying you had a big collection, but wow, I am truly impressed!

But Eugenia, part of what makes "She's Like a Rainbow" such an effective song are Nicky Hopkins' pretty, delicate, piano arpeggios. Without that, the song would not be the stand-out that it is.

Songs are about so much more than their lyrics; the way the music itself is played and arranged, the solos that occur in them, and when they occur, are essential to the dynamic of a song.

Anyway, yeah, coincidences seem to be the theme of the thread here lately. Maybe it's because of the people who post here, we're all on the same wavelength, man.

So, I never regarded Satanic Majesties as the overwrought rubbish heap of self-indulgence that some critics did. Not the Stones' best, for sure, but it has got some good stuff on it.

One of the best tracks- aside, of course, from She's Like a Rainbow, is the spacey, mysterious 2000 Light Years From Home.

(Wonder if Canadian space station leader Chris Hadfield ever sang this to himself, up there floating around the earth?)

"She's a Rainbow" - one of my top 4 or 5 all-time fave Stones songs, of all the great stuff they did! It's my favorite period from them - other top faves include "Dandelion" and "Ruby Tuesday". And yes, I also love the "Satanic..." album!

And, misswonderly, how very well put about Nicky Hopkins' piano making "She's a Rainbow" the stand-out song that it is. I have a cover version around here somewhere, can't recall by whom, from 1968, and without Nicky H. it's just another okay record.

Yeah, it all fell apart in the last 5 minutes. They were so close, and then -wham ! the Bruins woke up.It was more heartbreaking than if the Leafs had been trailing all along; it really did look for a while as though they were going to win that series !

Well, it ain't over til it's over, I guess. Anyway, frustrating though it was to see their lead disappear so quickly, it was more honourable than if they'd sucked their way through the entire game.

Maybe next year.

Mythoughts, are you still reading this thread? I feel bad that you jumped in, suggested several bands you thought were both new and good, and then, nobody here responded.

I know that for my part -and probably the others here - it wasn't that we weren't interested in your suggestions, it' s more that the time I have to spend on these boards is limited, I often only have enough time to listen to one song, and maybe pick one to post myself. And you recommended quite a few !

I hope you did not feel "ignored". I did look up some of the groups you said you liked. I have heard of the Lumineers (think they were interviewed on a radio show I follow), so am starting with a couple by them.

Here's "Flowers in Your Hair":

And, a live performance, "Big Parade":

Very nice "rootsy" sound.

Well here in So Cal, hockey and The Kings are big. WHY? Because So Cal doesn't have any teams left in the NBA playoffs, the Dodgers and Angels have the biggest payroll but are both in last place in their division, we don't have a Pro football team and it is too early to discuss college football.

Thus, all we have is hockey and surfing! (oh, and soccer but I don't wish to go there).

Frank Sinatra was the ultimate singer of the 20th century; Fred Astaire, the ultimate dancer.

Yet it's Astaire's version of "The Way You Look Tonight" that I love best. Jerome Kern's sweet love song has such a wistful tender quality about it, almost meloncholy. Great though Frank's version is, I don't think he captures that quality -maybe at the very end. But Fred's interpretation carries that yearning, somehow innocent feel of the song all the way through. Maybe it's the arrangement as much as anything.

This version is not the one from *Swingtime*, in which Fred's playing the piano and Ginger emerges from her vanity table covered in shampoo. I don't know where exactly this version comes from, but the plangent strings and the rest of the orchestra match Kern's sweet melody and Dorothy Fields' touching lyrics to perfection.

(I do like the Sinatra version, in fact I'm a committed Frank fan. This is one of very few exceptions to Frank's deserved title as the best interpreter of "American Songbook" tunes there is.)

Let's have more Fun !

This is probably their most famous song. At least, as soon as I heard it, I realized I'd heard it many times before, just never knew who the band was. So, since quite possible many of us are not that familiar with these guys, might as well check out one of their most accessible tunes:

(db, thank you for "Out on the Town".)

Most of Sinatra's best songs are the ones that have become particularly indentified with him. "TWYLT" naver has been. Help me out with this one. One of Sinatra's best is "I Had the Craziest Dream". In a TCM film I saw within the last week, an instrumental version of that song was playing in the background in a scene. What was the film? (This is bothering me so much, I'm going to post the question on "Infrormation Please".)

Hi, thank you for replying. Out of all the new groups I listed, I like the Lumineers because of their most popular song, Ho Hey. Can you post a link to that song? Once you hear it, you'll love it. It's a "feel good" song. Thank you.