Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

casablancalover, that's one I'd never heard before.

Funny, people confusing "house" with "home" and using the words interchangeably is one of my "word" peeves. Don't get me started...

db, thank you for that very pretty song. I thought I'd never heard it either, until I clicked "play", and then recognized it immediately. Then I went and checked out the Lovin' Spoonful's version. They're both very nice, that chorus is unbelievably catchy. Interesting the way the song has two entirely different time signatures, one for the chorus, one for the verse.

Here's a song that we've all heard a hundred times, everywhere, in shopping malls, dentists' offices, the drug store, wherever. It's one of those songs that as soon as you hear the opening chords you go, "Oh, not that, I am so sick of that song, I've heard it played so often it's meaningless now..."

But the thing is, it's a great song. Try to forget about how much it's overplayed, it's not the song's fault, and try and listen to it as though you're hearing it for the first time. It's a beautiful, mysterious, hypnotic song.

(For darkblue and anyone else from Toronto, the vid I picked for this is all scenes from Toronto, filmed in sepia (not the poster here, though !). I especially like the subway part.)

Unfortunately fi, it was not a sample of the dentist's taste (hey ! "dentist"..."taste" ..can I make something of that? er, no, guess not. Sorry.)

Nah, it just came on the radio. They just have their radio tuned to a certain station that often plays "oldies", and it was on while they were cleaning my teeth. (You're going to think I'm obsessed with dentistry, it seems to me I've mentioned going to the dentist on this thread before.)

Fortunately, I'm not that sick of that track by U2. I do understand, though. There are other tracks by them that were overplayed to a point that I did get pretty sick of them - like the soaring 'In the Name of Love'.

Good songs, nonetheless.

I heard a quote once, forget the artist who said it so I can't give proper credit, but he said he likes songs from any genre of music that "makes the hair stand up on his arms". Not all songs, just certain ones. I can dig that. One look at my iTunes would confirm it :)

Edited by: lanceroten on Oct 23, 2013 4:49 PM

Good way to put it, lanceroten. I think I get it. And yes, music from any genre, if it's good enough, can do that.

fi, you should still go to the dentist once in a while, even if you flossed every hour (actually that would be a bit much.) What you said is like saying "I never go to the doctor, don't have to, because I eat 7 servings of vegetables and exercise every day." Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if you did say something along those lines.

Exactly. But your theoretical quote doesn't begin to cover the stuff that I do. Despite my salacious posts, I am an unbelievably clean liver at this point.Unsalted oat-bran pretzels are my biggest vice, and saying that I exercise every day is like saying that Wilt Chamberlain kind of enjoyed sex.

Edited by: finance on Oct 23, 2013 6:15 PM

Interesting, tracey. Thanks for posting those tunes, although I have to say I prefer the originals.

Thanks also for posting music by Christina Aguilera, since I was not very familiar with her work. For some reason I had the impression that she only sang about salad greens.

Hallowe'en's a-coming. Here's a simply enchanting clip from an ancient movie of Hansel and Gretel, before they made it all sexualized and C.G.

This one's a charming and extremely effective puppet version, made in the 50s. The music is sublime, and the witch is truly scarey (at least, I thought she was when I was five.)

The final two minutes feature a witch's ride, where she sings this crazy witch's song glorying in her own evil.

misswonderly wrote:

>Thanks also for posting music by Christina Aguilera, since I was not very familiar with her work. For some reason I had the impression that she only sang about salad greens

No. that would be her fellow Mickey Mouse Club alumnus Katrina Arugula...