Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I'm curious what the rest of you like to listen to (which kind of music, what singers, bands, eras, etc.) and how and where do you listen most often?

April....I have been avoiding this thread because this is one of the hardest questions for me to answer.

First of all...it should come as NO surprise to anyone that I haven't got a clue about these MP3 players or ipods or whatever else other little thingies that have come along in the last several years. I know they are ALL the rage and I have seen NUMEROUS school kids of all various ages running around with little wires coming out of their ears talking about what their latest tunes are and such. But I have also seen adults of all ages doing the same thing....so these things must be pretty cool.

I am sure I will likely come around SOMETIME to figuring them out...but hey...I just did get a digital camera this Christmas... after all the other gazillion people I know had one... and it took me even longer to get around to getting a cell phone or the internet... I am slow to change.

Except maybe where music is concerned....

When I was a kid...I wanted to listen to the stuff my friends listened to.... and growing up in the 70's....we had everything from hard rock to disco and whatever is in between....and I think I must have had favorites in nearly every category... OH...EXCEPT country...and more specifically...BLUEGRASS... blech....I couldn't stand it...thought I was being tortured by my folks as they ALWAYS had a country station playing in the car or on the record player (remember when they used to be called record players?)

Anyway....as the years went by....I got very specific as to what my favorites were....and in my late teens and very early twenties... I had a huge "thing" for Styx, The Doobie Brothers, Kansas, The Eagles...and (of all things....) The Police. And then more specifically--Sting.

I also loved The Little River Band and I really enjoyed listening to Dan Fogelberg. The things that I liked about all these bands and artists were the talent they displayed in their music....but also in the LYRICS....because I am one of those people who really wants to hear what is being sung in the words as much as I want to hear the melody and harmonies and various instruments.

But while I was in college, I also expanded a love I had always had for classical music as well. Chopin is among my favorites, but I also enjoy Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven....I know....they're all the big names....but these were also the ones that my college music appreciation teacher focused on the most...so they are the ones I tend to know the most about...

I have also really enjoyed Big Band and "Swing" music a lot all my life...and still do. I mostly like the instrumentals on this sort of sound....but there are some really good songs in this type of music that have lyrics as well.

At any rate... in the late 80's I started listening to more and more Fogelberg ( who by the way was gifted in a lot of different styles of music...classical, jazz, rock, pop, and...blue grass.) And the album I seemed to keep going back to for about a year or so was High Country Snows and it just kept on drawing me in....and lo and behold... my "blue grass" roots finally showed up...and did my dad ever have a big laugh on me. :-) I won't say High Country Snows was my most favorite of his albums...but this for me is where my "big bluegrass breakthrough moment seemed to have occured) :-)

If I may...this is not necessarily a "bluegrass" song...but is has always been among my favorites of his, and it is an excellent example of the thoughtfulness he put into a lot of his lyrics...he really did have a talent for putting emotion not only in to what he was playing...but also into what he was saying...

Moving on...After I became a Christian, (early 90's) I started listening to some of the old hymns....and not only did I find a lot of faith and inspiration in the lyrics....I also enjoyed the order and the arrangement of the music as well...and while old vs new music is a big debate in a lot of churches all around the country right now...I have to say that while a lot of the new music is really good and very inspiring...I think there is something to be gained in the old hymns and I really get sad to see a lot of churches just missing out by leaving those old hymnal sitting there unused in the pew Sunday after Sunday...but I digress...

So to get us to the present....MOST of what I listen to lately...is a combination of my past and my present.... but in truth...my favorite music right now would have to be those old timey "bluegrass" hymns (oh!! Don't tell my dad!) :-)

PS...I don't know if this is really what you had in mind when you started this thread so long ago...but leave it to me to just ramble on anyway...thanks for letting me share. :-)

Kathy:

So nice to see another lover of classical music. Not many of us so finding out one more common joy is nice. I tend to enjoy the Romantic period most followed by Baroque. Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak are among a list of favorites.

You mentioned music in church. I'm in the band and we play more contemporary songs but one thing that has become quite popular are newer arrangements of old hymns. It keeps the beauty of the lyrics and melody while dressing up the arrangements. They are fun to play.

I enjoy Fogelberg. He was a great songwriter. The Beatles, The Moody Blues, Christopher Cross, ELO rank high on list. I grew up in the 70s too so a long list of Top 40 songs are among those I enjoy and most often buy on itunes. I like "Smooth Jazz." The Rippingtons, Four Play, Ken Navarro, David Benoit are among those I listen to.

I love music. It is a great calming influence for me. It also the best way I reflect my mood. (Most often played is Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony.) I don't have a broad range but I listen as often as I can.

Hi Kathy! I'm glad you've stopped avoiding this thread. ;)

I like Fogelberg now more than I used to. He has some truly

lovely music and lyrics. I like "Longer Than" (not sure if that is

the correct title), in particular. Music seemed to stop being,

oh, what is the word? "Organic"? What an awful, buzz-word it

sounds but I feel like from the 80s on, music lost its its human

texture and became extremely "mechanized" in its feeling and tone.

Does any successful, big time pop singer use lyrics that

contain references to birds and flowers anymore? That's what I'm

trying to say. I know there are more obscure musicians out there

that do, but that's my point---they're obscure.

I've done the same as you in that I've changed my musical tastes over

the years. I was into 50s rock-and-roll and 60s R&B when I was a child,

then I got into classic movies and first Fred Astaire, which led to Sinatra, and

opened me up to the "great Amercian songbook" and related music. Today,

I'm afraid I don't listen as much as I used to when I lived in L.A. and had a car---

listening to music while driving was the BEST for me, it was the only thing that calmed

me down on those crazy L.A. freeways. :) I don't miss the traffic but I miss

the joy I got from the music.

I mostly listen to Sinatra still, and Ella and Nat and Tony Bennett, or bossa

nova by the likes of Jobim and Stan Getz...and now I'm getting into 70s

music finally. :) I grew up with 80s and 90s top 40 music. I really like 80s music

but I still don't like most things from the 90s to now.

I love classical music, too, but as I've mentioned with Chris in the past, I don't

listen as much as I should. It tends to depress me.

When do you do most of your music listening? At home? I usually have

the boob-tube on so I seldom listen to my boom box. :)

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Hi April:

Fogelberg's song title is just "Longer." If you have the album "Phoenix" which "Longer" was on originally read the lyrics from "Beggar's Game." It is very poetic and has a sorrowful feel to it. My favorite part lyrically -

"The candles glistened and the water gleamed.

"She drew a bath and the windows steamed.

"She looked like every woman ever dreamed

"In the heart of a lonely man. In the heart of a lonely man."

Great lyricist and musician. Played most of the instruments on his albums.

Hi Chris... I wish I were a better student of classical music. The truth is, I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to. But I have always enjoyed it.

The class I took in college was really fun. In each section we covered, our teacher gave us about 6 or 8 different works to listen to and study and then we would be tested on various aspects of that group of music. Part of the test included him "dropping the needle" (literally) at any given point on a recording of the 6 or 8 different pieces and we had to identify the work, the composer, and the movement. That was always my favorite part....

I got a perfect score in that class....actually higher than 100% due to extra credit and "bonus" questions. He never stumped me even once and it became a joke because I think there were not too many other students in the class who could say the same...and when he would do this same thing during class time...to help us review for the tests, ect...he always framed his questions like..." Ok..who in here BESIDES Kathy can tell me what THIS one is...." I felt like a class nerd or something....but it was lot of fun and probably the only time I can remember in my life ever taking tests in a class and then getting up when I was finished and going..."What? It's over already...can' t we do one more??" Ha.:-)

I am sure if I tried to do all that now I would be quite rusty....but at one point in my life, I guess I had a "phonographic" memory. :-)

I wish I were as good as you. I used to listen a lot. Then I got married and had children and that killed time listening to Beethoven. Once when my daughter was about four she asked whatkind of music I was listening to and I told her it was "sitting down" music. You had to sit, listen and pay attention to it. Both of my children played in the school orchestra so there was a time we could enjoy some music together.

Hiya April...

When do you do most of your music listening? At home?

A lot of days it seems likely I mostly only get to listen in my head. :-) But sometimes I get a chance to put something on at home. We do listen to music in the car too...but occasionally we have the news programs or some of the Christian talk programs and the next thing I know a whole day will have gone by and I won't have had any music playing at all. But trust me....there is a full fledge orchestra and several back up singers all trapped in my brain in among all those rocks....so the music is almost always playing on the inside even if it isn't on the outside. :-)

The kidling LOVES to sing and we are always singing or listening to stuff with her. She likes a wide variety of music as well...but the poor kid didn't even know there were entire CD's and albums out there with kid music on them (until a friend of ours gave her a cd w/ kiddie songs) Poor child had been deprived all that time before just being made to listen to mama and daddy's songs. :-)

At the risk of turning your thread into a Dan Fogelberg review....

If you like the "nature" aspect of his music... you might also enjoy some of his songs like:

Run for the Roses (I believe on the same album as Longer)

High Country Snows

To the Morning (this is one of my favorites)

The Reach (about Maine!!! )

Old Tennessee

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that stand out for me at that moment.

And one of my all time favorites of his is the song....Souvenirs.. has a lot of that "nature" aspect to it as well. This song almost always makes me cry...it is such a nostalgic and emotional set of lyrics and the tune is very "wistful"....with your permission...here are some more lyrics for you:

Souvenirs

(Dan Fogelberg)

Here is a poem

That my lady sent down

Some morning while

I was away.

Wrote on the back of

A leaf that she found

Somewhere around Monterey.

And here is the key

To a house far away

Where I used to live

As a child.

They tore down the building

When I moved away

And left the key unreconciled.

And down in the canyon

The smoke starts to rise.

It rides on the wind

Till it reaches your eyes.

When faced with the past

The strongest man cries...cries.

And here is a sunrise

To set on your sill.

The ghosts of the dawn

Moving near.

They pass through your sorrow

And leave you quite still...

Sitting among souvenirs

and PS.... Longer was probably my earliest favorite for him... it came out when I was in high school and I have loved it ever since...enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3-VF7xd_KE

We now return this thread to it's regular scheduled programming. (PSS...thanks for indulging me...I don't get to listen to his stuff too much anymore....no more way to play the old LP's...) :-)

I used to listen a lot

I always MEAN to listen...sort of like how I always MEAN to dust the furniture or mop the floor....sooner or later I get to it...but not nearly as often as I would like.

wish I were as good as you.

PS...don't be too impressed...because I am sure I would not do nearly so well nowdays... I was 19 at the time.(about a gazillion years ago) If I had to do that now I think my brain would likely blow a fuse or something... but it was a lot of fun. :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

> The kidling LOVES to sing and we are always singing or listening to stuff with her. She likes a wide variety of music as well...but the poor kid didn't even know there were entire CD's and albums out there with kid music on them (until a friend of ours gave her a cd w/ kiddie songs) Poor child had been deprived all that time before just being made to listen to mama and daddy's songs. :-)

>

I'm glad she's getting to share music with her parents.

> If you like the "nature" aspect of his music... you might also enjoy some of his songs like:

>

> The Reach (about Maine!!! )

Hey now! I'll have to listen for that one. ;)

>

> And one of my all time favorites of his is the song....Souvenirs.. has a lot of that "nature" aspect to it as well. This song almost always makes me cry...it is such a nostalgic and emotional set of lyrics and the tune is very "wistful"....with your permission...here are some more lyrics for you:

>

> Souvenirs

> (Dan Fogelberg)

>

That was beautiful!

>

> We now return this thread to it's regular scheduled programming. (PSS...thanks for indulging me...I don't get to listen to his stuff too much anymore....no more way to play the old LP's...) :-)

Play on and on if you like, it's a marvelous way for me to learn about new music. That's

what I had hoped for with this thread. :)

Kathy being the woman of fine taste that she is managed to pick some from several albums. "The Reach" and "Run For The Roses" (along with his other hit "Another Old Lang Syne" that is heard around Christmas) are found on the album "The Innocent Age." "Old Tennessee" is on "Captured Angel." "High Country Snow" is from the album of the same name and "To The Morning" (which is indeed a lovely song) is from "Home Free."

The afore mentioned "Souvenirs" is from the album of the same name.

He has two jazz flavored abums with Tim Weisburg that are titled "Twin Sons of Different Mothers" and "No Resemblance Whatsoever."

Another fine lyric is "Dancing Shoes" from a wonderful album called "Nether Lands."

He was well suited to write in many genres. "High Country Snows" and his first two albums were flavored with country style songs.

Thank you, MusicManChris! Maybe I will seek out a "greatest hits"

or compilation album for Fogelberg. I want one that includes the one

about meeting his old lover (sorry, I have no idea what the title is) but

I think it was a very big hit.

The Reach is on his album called The Innocent Age...a really good album ( and also the one that has Run for the Roses in it...I was wrong earlier....Longer is from his Phoenix album.) Souvenirs is the title of the album for the song w/ that same name that I posted the lyrics for earlier. I have all his early albuns, except for one) but I don't have any of his stuff that came out after 1987.

I did however see this on google:

http://www.danfogelberg.com/infoportrait.html

It appears to have A LOT of his early stuff mixed in with some of his later recordings. And it has The Reach on it as well. The one song I did not see (maybe I overlooked it?) was Longer. I had heard that later in life he sort of left that song of his "play list" of things he would sing at concerts....and I attended 2 concerts in the 80's and he never once played it...so I think there may be some truth to it. (maybe it was one of those "personal" songs and the relationship went south or something??) Anyway....there are a couple of different "greatest hits" type albums I think on that same site I posted here so that might be a way to go to get variety. But I can recommend a lot of his earlier stuff. I don't think there were any of those albums that I was disappointed in. (except maybe Exiles) (PS.."Greatest Hits" type albums are how I used to get a lot of my favorite songs by other artists without having to buy all their records....(I was a tightfisted thing even way back when)

Hope this helps. :-)

oops....Longer IS on that compilation album I posted...I am definitely needing new glasses....right near the very top....that makes this an even better option. :-)

Message was edited by: rohanaka

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> That is "Another Old Lang Syne" that I mentioned.

>

> Here is a link to one of the Greatest Hits albums.

>

> http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Dan-Fogelberg/dp/B00005LNBZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231782361&sr=1-1

Thank you, Chris, for the link to that album. I love it when you can hear a small sample on amazon, or even buy a song in MP3 format.

Having said that, I might just want to check if that album is available at the library. I'm already paying taxes, might as well get something for my money. ;)

Thanks, Kathy! I will check out that website. He was kind of cute, I never

noticed that before. ;) Is he still alive?

And thank you, Chris, for that link---that album looks promising, but I'd like

"Another Auld Lang Syne" included. I did see another tune on there that I really like:

"Lonely in Love". I haven't heard that one in a long time. He certainly was very gifted

and I'm just realizing how many of his songs I really do enjoy.

Chris...Ha...you must have been posting while I was typing my little heart out...thanks for the "woman of taste" comment...I definitely don't hear THAT too often! :-)

"Captured Angel."

I hate to pick favorites among all his albums...but this may be just about my favorite ....if I had to choose....I think I about wore that sucker out when I first got it.... The Last Nail is on there and for a while...I think I listened to that one every single day... I went through a "bleak" time I guess and all my favorite songs seemed to be sad or nostalgic.... (But then Bobbie McFerrin came out with Don't Worry Be Happy....and somehow managed to snap me out of it!! ) HA.

Message was edited by: rohanaka

Kathy, I have many favorite songs that are "bleak" or "tragic". They sometimes

made for catharsis, but now I try to avoid them. Still, every now and then nothing

can make me feel more deeply than a good, old fashioned sad song. I think Elton

John was right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVcb1Hl46Ds