Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Where most songs about road separation are written from the view of the person aching to be home, Sebastian took the opposite viewpoint with 'Darling Be Home Soon', imagining how it is for the one who's at home waiting.

So lyrically simple, but so beautifully orchestrated and sincerely sung, I'm always very moved by it. The best companion to it is 'Amy's Theme' from the same movie and whenever I've made a mix tape I've always placed 'Darling Be Home Soon' directly after 'Amy's Theme' in the mix - 'Amy's Theme' just leads into it so nicely.

After Sebastian left the Spoonful, the group soldiered on without him for a short while and released an album that I love called 'Revelation: Revolution 69'.

Here's one of the singles from that LP

(Til I) Run With You

Now I really want to see *You're a Big Boy Now*. But as I noted before, I doubt TCM will be showing it again any time soon. (Not that TCM has an obligation to accommodate my particular movie needs...)

So I checked out Amy's Theme (also known as Lonely ?). I didn't realize it was an instrumental - they always have a special quality all their own.

This led me to another John Sebastian composition (solo?) I'd never heard of (guess I was mostly just familiar with the group's hits),

The Room Nobody Lives In :

I think I should say that for the last several months, my music focus has been loading my ipod with songs that I not only love, but are also good for indoor cycling (spinning). Those songs are almost invariably very uptempo, so my pre-existing interest in more mellow stuff has at least temporarily fallen by the wayside.

Edited by: finance on Feb 19, 2014 5:23 PM

Not necessarily true. .....and actually, certain slower tempo songs, such as Neil Young's "Cowgirl in the Sand" and Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine", are great for long, slower cadence. high-gear, climbs. Those songs, however, could hardly be called "mellow", unless "spaced out" is within the rubric of "mellow".

That YouTube video for 'The Room Nobody Lives In' is incorrectly labelled to The Lovin' Spoonful.

It was actually the third track on side 2 of Sebastian's first solo lp (1970's 'John B. Sebastian').

I remember that album very well - it had a wonderful front AND back cover. The front was quite a flattering head shot of a hippiesh John Sebastian that had been taken while he was performing at Woodstock. The back was better, though - showing him from behind, guitar strap fashionably cross his tye-died back, with the crowd - the virtual multitude - spread out in front of him from edge to edge of the album jacket. Very colourful and quite inspirational at that time. I'd love to have a poster made of that back cover.

Incidentally, everyone has been arguing on the Discussion threads about which decades are the best for films. With regard to music, IMHO, there is no argument. It is the '70s, in a cakewalk. The very best decade for soul. The beginnings of New Wave in the latter part of the decade. The peak of progressive and arena rock. Great work carrying over into the '70s from groups that began in the '60s. The best of disco. Groups such as Steely Dan that resist categorization. And on and on.

Well, it's all good, I say. There were certainly some time periods that seemed to burst with creativity more than others, but I like music from all eras.

Speaking of which, this is an old, old, song from Ian and Sylvia's first album, eponymously named. They were a Canadian duet who were part of the "folk" or "roots music" trend that swept Western youth culture in the early 60s.

Having just recently seen the Coen brothers' fine new film, *Inside Llewyn Davis*, which takes a clear-eyed but affectionate look at that era, I was reminded of my parents' folk recordings from that time.

Here's Down by the Willow Garden . There are a lot of "I murdered my girlfriend" songs in folklore. Some might object to them now, thinking, reasonably enough, that they are glorifying such murders. I could write a whole essay about this, but I'll just say that these kinds of ballads are usually great songs, melodically and lyrically, and are profoundly a part of our cultural history. So they deserve to stay.

Come to think of it, I'll throw in another great folk song in the same vein (no pun intended), Joan Baez' version of Banks of the Ohio .

(For them that's interested -possibly no one - the "Down by the Willow Garden" song is hummed in the Coen brothers' movie *Raising Arizona*

by Holly Hunter's character.)

Interesting. There was a time when I adored this band, and felt, as I said before, that they were the ultimate in cool.

Times and opinions change, and while I still think they're pretty darn good, I might change that adjective "cool" to "cold". They were certainly very cerebral, much more brain than heart.

"That said", they still produced some fantastic tunes. They had a very interesting sound.

Another of my favourites by Talking Heads is Cities, from the album "Fear of Music". (which is considered by some critics to be their best.)

They were good at creating tension, musically, which as often as not accompanied the tension in the lyrics. Soft and cuddly they weren't. Cities might not touch your heart, but it will engage the music-listening part of your brain.