Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

"Dancing Shoes"

Oh.. Chris...good call on that one...April you might like this on a lot.

PS... April....let me know if you do find an album you want to buy...I hope you'll enjoy it after me running on and on about him.(Now I will have guilt if you don't end up being as impressed) And PSS. you are right....he was WAY cute.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I made a mistake. The son is "Same Old Lang Syne" so that is on the album you saw. Sorry.

Hey, everyone makes a mistake. I'd changed the title in my post because I'd figured the guy who uploaded it to YouTube might have gotten the title wrong :P

> I made a mistake. The song is "Same Old Lang Syne" so that is on the album you saw. Sorry.

>

> Do you want Fogelberg bleak or anyone?

>

> Message was edited by: movieman1957

I'll look again at that album.

Oh, and for the list any songs or compositions, whatever your favorites are in that "mood".

Here's a handful -

"Worst That Could Happen" - Jimmy Webb from "Five Easy Pieces."

"Beautiful Sadness" - Jane Olivor from "Chasing Rainbows."

"The Dreamer" - Andy Williams from "Solitaire."

"Looking For The Right One" - Art Garfunkel from "Breakaway." (I've had the right one for 25 years)

"Windows and Walls" - Fogelberg from "Windows and Walls."

"Take It To Heart" - Michael McDonald.

and most everything I've ever written.

top 5 "bleak" songs---tunes or musical pieces that make you cry, what would they be?

Hmmmmm....well since we are just all over Dan Fogelberg today, he is the freshest in my mind...so I am likely going to be a bit skewed. I am sure if not for that, I might have a different list. I will say that I may come back here another time and think of some others and change my list because what USED to make me cry years and years ago is not the same as what tears me up as much now...

But for "Bleak"....way back when in my 20's.... when I was going through a "woe is me" phase...

That Souvenirs song that I posted for you earlier was definitly on the list....and probably also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0dMBqtGtOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvwrSdMY7dQ

Funny though...stuff that used to make me cry isn't always as emotional now....I managed to look all of those up w/ out even a little misty moment...I must be getting tougher in my old age.... Still...when I was in my "bleak" phase... they were a guaranteed tissue grabber.

Two that will usually still get me now, though not necessarily bleak.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNonF2n4qdE

and one that I could not find on youtube...and I only recently discovered it a year or so ago...but almost always makes me cry...

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/l/littleriverband2344/whomadethemoon111831.html

Ok...I know... this is all more than 5...and if I tried really hard I KNOW I could come up with even more...so but I better stop now...I may bust out bawling at any moment if I get too deep into this...but did I mention that I love a good cry??? :-)

If you want to do classical -

Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony - final movement.

Brahms' Paino Concerto No. 1

Barber's - Adagio for Strings

Copland - "Our Town."

Elgar's Cello Concerto.

Before I met my bride I was quite lonely (probably pathetic in hindsight) so I have some that fit. A couple I actually like. I'll dig one out and see if it is worth going on for you.

Chris...I am sure we both have our own "pathetic" stories to tell....Believe me...I know I DO! :-)

Ok...this thread is too addictive...I am going to need a twelve step program to get out of here...April...yet another possible reason I have been avoiding it up to now...

I came across this one...in my search for "bleak"....NOT really bleak...but one of my all time favorite Allen Parson's .... I first saw this video way back in the mid 80's and got a big kick out of it...and to this day I still go around saying "Tough Break, Nick...only I more or less have had to revise it for the kidling...when I used to say that to her...if she did not get her way...she would always ask...."who's Nick?" and it was just too hard to explain...so for her, I say....Tough Break Baby...

And.... there is a slight nod to the old "Noir" films on here...but I think the ending is too "happy" so probably not a REAL noir tribute...still fun to watch after all these years.... April....thanks for putting up w/ me in here today....I am having way too much fun.

Ok...back to the bleak....

> Here's a handful -

>

> "Worst That Could Happen" - Jimmy Webb from "Five Easy Pieces."

> "Beautiful Sadness" - Jane Olivor from "Chasing Rainbows."

> "The Dreamer" - Andy Williams from "Solitaire."

> "Looking For The Right One" - Art Garfunkel from "Breakaway." (I've had the right one for 25 years)

> "Windows and Walls" - Fogelberg from "Windows and Walls."

> "Take It To Heart" - Michael McDonald.

>

> and most everything I've ever written.

I think the only one I recognize is the first one. So your songs are all sad songs, Chris?

Hi Kathy! "Time" by the Alan parsons Project is one of my favorites! I love their songs.

That, and the Chopin piece are the only ones I'd ever heard before.

Some songs that used to make me more emotional do so less as time passes. And not

too many new ones take their place. Just as modern movies and TV shows have

ceased to mean anything to me, so has contemporary music.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

> And.... there is a slight nod to the old "Noir" films on here...but I think the ending is too "happy" so probably not a REAL noir tribute...still fun to watch after all these years.... April....thanks for putting up w/ me in here today....I am having way too much fun.

>

>

>

> Ok...back to the bleak....

That song is one of my favorites, too! That one actually makes me sad, more so

than "Time". Too bad they never did anything good after that album.

I have always enjoyed The Alan Parson's Project. IF I recall correctly, I only have two of their albums...but I haven't listened to either of them in likely 20 years.

That one actually makes me sad, more so than "Time".

There is a bit of sadness in the melody of Don't Answer Me that can get me once in a while.(and there is also that whole "stay on your Island" bit....but I think Time just happened to come out when I was in a high school crush...."oh...If he only loved me" phase and it more or less became that "break up" theme for me after that. Very melodramatic now that I look back on it...but ...those were the days... :-)

they never did anything good after that album

I sort of got into my "Bluegrass" era not long after Amonia Avenue came out....and so I lost track....but I think you are right as I do not recall much else by them after that...

Too bad.... Or we could just say.... Tough Break, Nick :-)

You are right. Often it's WHEN you first hear a song that will form its effect on you. Especially

if you are in love or breaking up. :) Then, every song seems to have incredible power to stir your

emotions! I love it, pathetic or not. :P

I also like this one by TAPP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMAGwMAXTpU&feature=related

"Old and Wise" is a fine Parsons song. "Since The Last Goodbye" and "Pipeline" are favorites from "Ammonia Avenue."

I think they have very unusual chord structures and interesting instrumentation. I really like their instrumentals. It is unusual for a rock group.

Oh.....I haven't listened to TAPP in so long, I'd forgotten about some of these songs you folks are mentioning here...

I really like their instrumentals. It is unusual for a rock group.

Chris...I agree...and that is one of the things that made them stand out a bit for me... One that may not really be an official "TAPP" piece, but I liked a lot was the "collaboration" of sorts they did on the music for the movie Ladyhawke. In fact, the first time I saw that film, the music stood out as being similar to some of their styles. (PS..that is a film I need to go mention in the "Guilty Pleasures" thread....because I have always liked it....and the music has always been a part of that whole package)

Eye in the Sky is one of my favorites of theirs to be sure. I think (possibly) it is my all time fave for them. I also like the ones you mentioned Chris...Old and Wise was a very good song...I had forgotten that Ammonia Ave had as many good ones on it as it does. Also liked You Don't Believe...

And THIS one is perhaps one that I used to enjoy singing along with more than most (the range is just "mine" in this one... not too high or low. (But a lot of their songs hit me in that way...so they are fun to sing with.)

The video for this is a bit "Twilight Zone-ish" (and also very 80's) in fact...I am starting to have an 80's flashback....I think I need to go get my hair permed now and put in a few shoulder pads on my blouse.... :-)

Kathy:

I've read where some critics didn't like "Ammonia Avenue" because they got away, more or less, from their concept albums. This was pretty much Top 40 music (which doesn't make it bad for me) according to them but so what.

Some of my favorite albums are "Eye In The Sky", "Stereotomy" and "Try Anything Once."

BTW, in case you (or anyone doesn't remember) Parsons was an engineer for The Beatles at one point.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}>

> BTW, in case you (or anyone doesn't remember) Parsons was an engineer for The Beatles at one point.

I am only familiar with the album that has "Eye in the Sky" on it. I love the sound to

some of their songs, very unique. I read the liner notes on that CD but completely forgot

he had worked with the Beatles.