Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I was in Toronto recently to see Neko Case. Her stuff's hard to label, which is fine with me. She's got a great voice. I saw her at Massey Hall ( remember Massey Hall, db? It's still around), along with a pretty darn good little band called the Dodos.

Here's a tune from a few years back, "Star Witness". After listening carefully to the lyrics numerous times, I've come to the conclusion that I still haven't the faintest idea what it's about. But I don't care, it's a good tune, especially the melodious chorus. So pretty.

Wow, that's as coppery a copper-top as I've ever seen. Set against a pale complexion like hers makes for a striking image.

So, I was immediately reminded of a more ethereal Blue Rodeo sound while listening to that track. I went to AMG to find out more about her - she is described broadly as alternative country, but a more telling description in one of the reviews was "dark country noir".

The song "Star Witness" seems to be her recalling an auto accident that she and her boyfriend were in - and he died. She can't forget the experience and relives the moments both leading up to, and immediately following. The accident seems to have happened in proximity to an area (chain-link lots) where there are deer? - red-tails? The mention of wolves in the chorus is interesting when juxtaposed against that.

She's had an interesting career, beginning in a punk rock band.

I know at least two men who think Neko is quite the babe. I think the coppery red hair and pale complexion have something to do with it. Plus, she has this indefinable cool woman vibe. (But not a long cool woman in a black dress, which I always thought made the woman sound like some kind of drink. What were the Hollies thinking? But I digress.)

Yes, you're right, the lyrics do indicate some kind of accident or murder or something - someone dies, anyway. That's the main thing I get out of it. But sometimes I like it when I don't fully comprehend the lyrics, it makes the song more mysterious.

There are shades of Blue Rodeo in her music at times, along with lots of other worthy influences. Although I suspect you just like Blue Rodeo because they've got the word "blue" in the title. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a Smurf fan, because they are blue.  :huh:

ok, i'll shut up now.

ps: I think that'll be the last time I use the word "melodious". It sounds too much like "malodorous".

I know at least two men who think Neko is quite the babe. I think the coppery red hair and pale complexion have something to do with it. Plus, she has this indefinable cool woman vibe. (But not a long cool woman in a black dress, which I always thought made the woman sound like some kind of drink. What were the Hollies thinking? But I digress.)

Yes, you're right, the lyrics do indicate some kind of accident or murder or something - someone dies, anyway. That's the main thing I get out of it. but sometimes I like it when I don't fully comprehend the lyrics, it makes the song more mysterious.

There are shades of Blue Rodeo in her music at times, along with lots of other worthy influences. Although I suspect you just like Blue Rodeo because they've got the word "blue" in the title. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you were Smurf fan, because they are blue.  :huh:

ok, i'll shut up.

Not to be confused with Nico, of Velvet Underground fame.

Mysterious, uber-Aryan Nico. But I believe she came to a bad end, let's hope the Neko with an "e" winds up differently.

Here's one of my very favourite songs. Perfectly crafted, beautiful pop:

I can't listen right now, but in my recollection, the only really memorable songs on this LP were "Wouldn't It Be Nice""God Only Knows"and "Caroline, No". I'll give a listen.

Mysterious, uber-Aryan Nico. But I believe she came to a bad end, let's hope the Neko with an "e" winds up differently.

Here's one of my very favourite songs. Perfectly crafted, beautiful pop:

"Mysterious, uber-Aryan Nico."  Perfect description!  And yes, a bad end.

Whoops, clearly my reply should be here, not up there.  Live and learn.

No worries, GayDivorcee, the new quote system here is a little confusing. Yesterday I wanted to quote someone, and somehow I ended up repeating his quote 3 times ! And then I couldn't erase the other two.

And look at our pal finance...he still hasn't figured out how to delete an embedded video (no offense, fi baby.)

So, the "Nico" with an "i". She certainly lent a mystique to the Velvets in their early days. Everyone associates her with the song "Femme Fatale", I suppose partly because she seemed like one herself. But I prefer "All Tomorrow's Parties" (apparently Andy Warhol's favourite V.U. tune) and this one, "I'll Be Your Mirror":

No worries, GayDivorcee, the new quote system here is a little confusing. Yesterday I wanted to quote someone, and somehow I ended up repeating his quote 3 times ! And then I couldn't erase the other two.

And look at our pal finance...he still hasn't figured out how to delete an embedded video (no offense, fi baby.)

So, the "Nico" with an "i". She certainly lent a mystique to the Velvets in their early days. Everyone associates her with the song "Femme Fatale", I suppose partly because she seemed like one herself. But I prefer "All Tomorrow's Parties" (apparently Andy Warhol's favourite V.U. tune) and this one, "I'll Be Your Mirror":

Well, if you and finance have problems with the system, that makes me feel better.  Not for your problems of course, but about my ineptitude.  

Thanks for the clip.  Their music creates such a dreamy mood.

While Lou Reed and Co. were exploring that dreamy, off-kilter, arguably decadent sound, the ultra English Kinks were celebrating strawberry jam, sunsets, and innocence. Not that they were sickeningly twee, they could be pretty weird too. But not with this song. "Picture Book" :

While Lou Reed and Co. were exploring that dreamy, off-kilter, arguably decadent sound, the ultra English Kinks were celebrating strawberry jam, sunsets, and innocence. Not that they were sickeningly twee, they could be pretty weird too. But not with this song. "Picture Book" :

The only band that seems more British than the Kinks, in accents and lyrics, is Squeeze.

Ok, fi, here ya go:

Hmm. I must reveal something about myself here: I have a deep fear of nuclear war, which I usually manage to suppress and forget about. I guess I'm kind of "perverse", but I don't like being reminded of nuclear annihilation. So I found those images of the mushroom bomb and skeletons etc. kind of disturbing.  I know the Black-Eyed Peas aren't the only ones, there are lots of songs that allude to nuclear bombs. And I try to avoid those, too. Oddly enough, though, I like Dr. Strangelove.

The song itself was ok, certainly lots of energy.

Here's "Pump It":

But it sampled "Miserlou"   ("Misirlou?") so much, it mostly made me want to listen to it.

Ok, now I'm going to wander off and watch Pulp Fiction.

Here's something that does make me feel like I'm in my 20s again, probably because I was listening to it in my early 20s:

The album this song is from, "Trust", is one of this guy's best. Song after song of energetic exciting pop with great melodies and truly inspired musicianship.

TCM aired A Hard Day's Night last night. (at the end of a hard day. ...Sorry...)

Comments on the Beatles thread (in "General Discussions") vary, but more people than I would have thought said they didn't care for it. I don't usually care if people disagree with me, but for some reason, the thought that anyone would not like this joyful little film full of funny vignettes and great music bothers me. It's like they must have missed something, I don't know. What's not to like?

Anyway, here's a bit from A Hard Day's Night. Ringo's in a sulk, and John goes to cheer him up. "If I Fell" fairly hums along, a pretty, melodic tune with sweet harmonies and lovely guitar playing. Nothing fancy, just the boys doing what they do best. Great vocals, as usual, from John:

I did watch 'Breaking Bad'. Engrossing series.

'Spun' is more realistic - although humorous, it's quite a repellent look at the lives of tweakers. I've watched it - with and without commentary tracks - several times. For some unfathomable reason, the dvd was released in a cleaned-up R-rated version as well as the original unrated "director's" version. The R-Rated option is much softened and I would never recommend it - it would surprise me to learn that anyone would want to watch that version.

Well, there's a man with a few mental illness issues.

(If you can do understatement, so can I.)

How do you discover this kind of stuff? SansFin, Master (I mean, Mistress) of the weird and exotic internet video.

Paranoia on steroids, that one.

Well, there's a man with a few mental illness issues.

(If you can do understatement, so can I.)

How do you discover this kind of stuff? SansFin, Master (I mean, Mistress) of the weird and exotic internet video.

Paranoia on steroids, that one.

“I don't suffer from my insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.” - Sherrilyn Kenyon

"Insanity does not run in my family. Rather, it strolls through, taking its time, getting to know everyone personally." - Anon

I believe that the man in the video is not truly paranoid. Something did mean to kill him. His failings were not identifying the true threat and in allowing himself to be lulled into a false sense of security.

I love the ending especially because it is tribute to the most iconic scene in movies and I did not suspect it coming.

I believe that the key is not in discovering such things but in bookmarking them so that they can be found with ease when there is an opportunity to use them. I love all that is odd. My fiance is proof of that. I feel very deeply that the worst sin is to fill a life with things mundane.

This is one of my favorite modern groups. I am sorry that I can find no copy with English subtitles but I hope that the beauty of the song will entertain. The meaning of the song is that she played with love and it drew her into insanity. "I took a sip of you and you took me to the bottom." The title may be translated as: "Crazy."