Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

finance, you know when you do that - the "deleted" thing - it's more disturbing than whatever it was you said that you deleted.

Better to just leave it, than "delete" it. If you have second thoughts, you can always edit the comment, or go back in and provide a mollifying caveat.

Whenever I see a post of yours' that simply says "deleted", I imagine all kinds of horrible things you might have said. Probably much worse than whatever it was that your actually said, but was deleted.

Hit me with your rhythm stick. Pretty funny line.

I saw him live once, as the warmup band for Lou Reed. A lot of the audience thought maybe it should have been the other way around.

Of course he also did "Sex and Drugs and Rock & Roll". At the time I thought he'd made up that expression, but now I think it was around a long time before Ian Dury celebrated that triad of hedonism in a song.

finance, you know when you do that - the "deleted" thing - it's more disturbing than whatever it was you said that you deleted.

I have an image of him calculating the timing of each post with care and then swiftly injecting his short comment.

I imagine his deleted posts are when he is not so swift or so careful and his keepers see his fingers on the keyboard when he is allowed only to read. They delete the comment which they witnessed him making. They do not delete his other posts because they believe their surveillance is adequate and that they are catching all of his posts and so it would seem a waste of time searching for other posts. :):):)

I have an image of him calculating the timing of each post with care and then swiftly injecting his short comment.

I imagine his deleted posts are when he is not so swift or so careful and his keepers see his fingers on the keyboard when he is allowed only to read. They delete the comment which they witnessed him making. They do not delete his other posts because they believe their surveillance is adequate and that they are catching all of his posts and so it would seem a waste of time searching for other posts. :):):)

My deleted posts on this thread are when I try to post a song from youtube but fail. This time I tried to post Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire". So much better, and different, than "Everybody's Talkin'", from MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

My deleted posts on this thread are when I try to post a song from youtube but fail. This time I tried to post Nilsson's "Jump into the Fire". So much better, and different, than "Everybody's Talkin'", from MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

Well, it's hardly a fair comparison. Other than Harry being the vocalist on both, Fred Neil's artsy, folkish mid-60's ditty is in a different universe from Harry's frenetic, driving, sex-on-drugs workout of the 70's.

It was certainly used to great effect in 'Goodfellas'.

The British Invasion practically killed off the perennially charting Everly Brothers. They deserved better, as they continued to record some very good singles for the Warner Brothers label that simply weren't played by AM jocks, their name being associated with the past. Here's one from 1965.

Leave My Girl Alone

Nice stuff, db. Sounds like the Everlys moved with the times, the song's got that sparkly 60s production feel to it. Still making great harmonies with that number.

So, I watched that movie "Spun". Shall we say, not recommended for all viewers. 

It was an unflinching ride into very decadent territory. In fact, to call it "decadent" is to compliment it. But something that struck me as odd was, at the end, during the credits, this very old, very sweet and sentimental song played. I'm still trying to figure out what they meant in choosing that song.

edit: Actually, I just realized, for what it's worth, the soundtrack to that movie was overseen by Billy Corgan (he of the "Smashing Pumpkins" fame), and he does a version of the song in the final scene.

It's an Irving Berlin tune, and the gentleness and sweetness of the melody and lyrics can make your eyes dewey. Here's two versions, the first absolutely ancient, came out in 1926. i believe this is the version used in a Noel Coward movie, "Blithe Spirit".

Here's another version, from a movie I've never seen, "Pride of the Yankees" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykc_We5_JG4

Sorry if I'm overdoing it, I just really like that song, and was trying to find the perfect interpretation of it.

The British Invasion practically killed off the perennially charting Everly Brothers. They deserved better, as they continued to record some very good singles for the Warner Brothers label that simply weren't played by AM jocks, their name being associated with the past. Here's one from 1965.

Leave My Girl Alone

The most notable acts not killed off by the British invasion were the Beach Boys and Four Seasons.

MultiEye: I like Jack White, as I've said before.In fact, I've posted Jack White music here before. He's one of the best of the new-ish (I know, not really all that new) musicians around today.

I'm sorry to say, I recently read some negative news about him.Apparently, he's been trashing people like The Black Keys and others.

Now, I normally don't pay attention to stuff like that, whatever Jack White says or does has no bearing on the quality of his work.

But I must admit, this surprised and disappointed me. Jack's got no reason to belittle fellow musicians; whatever his opinion of the Black Keys (and there were others too, I think) he could have just kept it to himself. Trash-talking is always, well, trashy.

Kay: thanks for that other version of "Always" and the other Nick Lucas number. It's a lovely little song, reminds me of my father-in-law,  a kind and funny man who died two years ago. 

• Like 1

fi: funny you should mention The Four Seasons, I was thinking about them just yesterday, maybe because of the "Jersey Boys" movie coming out.

Here's one of their prettiest tunes. Sometimes I wonder if we ought to post it on one of those threads where needless fights break out:

MultiEye: I like Jack White, as I've said before.In fact, I've posted Jack White music here before. He's one of the best of the new-ish (I know, not really all that new) musicians around today.

I'm sorry to say, I recently read some negative news about him.Apparently, he's been trashing people like The Black Keys and others.

Now, I normally don't pay attention to stuff like that, whatever Jack White says or does has no bearing on the quality of his work.

But I must admit, this surprised and disappointed me. Jack's got no reason to belittle fellow musicians; whatever his opinion of the Black Keys (and there were others too, I think) he could have just kept it to himself. Trash-talking is always, well, trashy.

Kay: thanks for that other version of "Always" and the other Nick Lucas number. It's a lovely little song, reminds me of my father-in-law,  a kind and funny man who died two years ago. 

Well that's not good news, but one the other hand I didn't heard anything about that or what he said. If he did maybe the media blew it up out of proportion or maybe people just tend to take it the wrong way because of critisism. I'm not supporting or against, but I am well aware how people like to complain about someone else who voices his/her opinion on something & get labeled cause they don't like what was said. If it was legit trash talk then yeah grow up, but I don't see him straight trash talking. Probably said some negative things in hopes to bring it to their atention in a weird way so that band can improve whoever he mentioned, The Black Keys. Maybe he knows them personally & can make harsh remarks because he's entitled. My point is, regardless of the drama ever human being has, nobody's perfect & I could care less if someone speaks their mind & a majority doesn't agree. Thanks for bringing it up cause it was a good reason for me to explain my point of view on this topic.

The most notable acts not killed off by the British invasion were the Beach Boys and Four Seasons.

Along with Gene Pitney, Dionne Warwick and Johnny Rivers who managed to keep going for awhile as well. Of course, all these artists began in the early 60's - generally '62. I think because the Everly's were associated with the 50's, it may have contributed to the lack of attention they received during the Invasion.

Here's another very good Everly single, this one from 1966 - 'Hard, Hard Year'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnocXAoRa0U

Wow, Don and Phil really got into the scorching guitar thing on that one. They really were moving with the times. Wonder which one played that guitar bit in "Hard Hard Year"?

Speaking of the mid-'60s, here's a great little hit form 1965. Turn  it  UP :

I believe that's Tony Hicks doing the killer embellishment there. He, with Allan Clarke, wrote 'Hard, Hard Year'. The Hollies owed much of their vocal style to the Everlys and while Don and Phil resided in England during the mid-60's there were several Hollies songs that the brothers covered.

They weren't known for their guitar work in particular, though they both played. Their fame is their perfect harmony. Has their ever been two voices so perfectly blended?

They also did many of their own songs of course. This was one - from 1965 - one of their rockingest - it reached #1 on the British charts but barely got played over here. The only flaw is that the fade should have been much longer - this single deserved to hit 3 minutes, not just 2. It rocks!!

The Price of Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g6PYFH2q40

This song contains one of the more complex guitar parts of Lonnie Johnson's early recordings, aside from his many fabulous guitar solos, that is. It's the earliest song I've heard that foretells the more jazz-oriented material that was to come from this blues man. It's also a step-up lyrically from the many blues songs he wrote with often misogynistic sounding lyrics which were popular with blues audiences. This song appears to be written for his wife who is leaving him and shows a very tender side, as even though he begs for her to stay with him the lyrics end with the message "May God bless you, sweet Mary Lou."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY2lk2k8yec

I just heard this sweet song for the first time while I was looking up that last one, and I simply must share it. This is an excellent example of the turn Mr. Johnson's work was to take later on, becoming more vocally oriented (which was something of a shame, given the guitar wizard he was, but he was a great singer, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xllu0k3aFA

I still like 1980s music the best. Fast and catchy. Like The Touch by Stan Bush, Desperate Dreams by Survivor, Whatever Possessed You by Care and Dream by P. Lion. 

But for movie and TV show music, Japanese tokusatsu has the best soundtracks in my view. Also from the 80s, but usually the Japanese are very ingenious with background music. 

Awesome tracks from the 2009 movie "Public Enemies". This song really captures not only the essence of the film, but the era it takes place in as well as good ol' fashioned turn of the century lifestyle & the birth of this great nation.