Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

You keep us on our toes, SansFin; I had to visit Wikipedia.  :)

I am sorry for that. 

I have looked now at Wikipedia and found that it states that there have been thirteen in the trio. I knew it must be a dozen which is what made me think of ship.

Very unusual for models to become rock singers. Two that I can think of were disco divas Madleen Kane and France Joli.

VIA Gra is pop group. I know that I am snob to feel that to be rock singer requires much more talent and diligence than to be pop singer.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched "Coal Miner's Daughter" last night (on TCM) and liked it just as much as the first time I saw it. I think it helps if you have an interest in that kind of music.

Levon Helm, who played Loretta's father, was of course a member of the great band, The Band. He was the drummer, but he also sang and contributed to the songwriting sometimes. He was from Arkansas, and had a great and valuable store of knowlege about "roots" music. He not only played Loretta's father in the film, he was its musical consultant.

There's a funny story about how, when his character had died and was lying in his coffin, with all the mourners sitting around him singing "Amazing Grace", Levon shot up from the coffin and told them they weren't "singing it right". Guess they had to re-shoot the scene.

But what I wanted to post today isn't a song by Loretta Lynn, although I like her. I like Patsy Cline just as much. Beverly D'Angelo played Patsy in the film, and I thought she did a great job.

Here's "Walkin' After Midnight". In its own country-ish way, it rocks.

• Like 1

I watched "Coal Miner's Daughter" last night (on TCM) and liked it just as much as the first time I saw it. I think it helps if you have an interest in that kind of music.

Levon Helm, who played Loretta's father, was of course a member of the great band, The Band. He was the drummer, but he also sang and contributed to the songwriting sometimes. He was from Arkansas, and had a great and valuable store of knowlege about "roots" music. He not only played Loretta's father in the film, he was its musical consultant.

There's a funny story about how, when his character had died and was lying in his coffin, with all the mourners sitting around him singing "Amazing Grace", Levon shot up from the coffin and told them they weren't "singing it right". Guess they had to re-shoot the scene.

But what I wanted to post today isn't a song by Loretta Lynn, although I like her. I like Patsy Cline just as much. Beverly D'Angelo played Patsy in the film, and I thought she did a great job.

Here's "Walkin' After Midnight". In its own country-ish way, it rocks.

Patsy Cline was great. I like Coal Miner's Daughter too. You mentioned Levon Helm and I really liked him in that, even though he had a small role. I love The Band. Did you ever see The Last Waltz? It's coming on hdnet this March and I plan on watching it. I've never seen it.

That scene you mentioned where Levon is in the coffin, I cried like a baby at that part. I cried when he died and she saw him coming towards her in the field. Now whenever I see it, I hope I think of what you said.

Far as I'm concerned, 'Walkin' After Midnight' is Patsy's very best song.

I once saw some program about after-death experiences and the title was 'Walking After Midnight' - with Patsy's song a part of the presentation. I also remember George Harrisons 'Art of Dying' being on the soundtrack of the program as well.

While looking at these photos, it struck me that Steve's looks are sometimes remindful of a cross between Robert Redford and Christopher Walken. No wonder Eydie fell for him.

Really liked this as a 12-13 year old - sang it all the time. The definition of a smooth song.

• Like 1

While looking at these photos, it struck me that Steve's looks are sometimes remindful of a cross between Robert Redford and Christopher Walken. No wonder Eydie fell for him.

Really liked this as a 12-13 year old - sang it all the time. The definition of a smooth song.

He was so handsome.  They were an adorable couple.  I remember as a kid watching them on Password and Johnny Carson.  He did look like a cross between the two!

• Like 1