Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Here is a very strange coincidence:

Everybody know that song, "Don't Dream It's Over" (otherwise known as "Hey Now, Hey Now") ? I'm not really a Crowded House fan, but that's a pretty darn good song.

Anyway, it's the kind of song that's been covered by a few people. So get this: Diana Krall has just released a new album, all covers of pop songs she likes. She does a version of "Don't Dream It's Over".

So yesterday I left my house while that song was playing. It was still going through my head as I walked into the store I was planning to shop at, and that very song was playing in the store. A different version - not Diana Krall's, and not the original.

How weird is that? Think of all the songs the store could have had on their satellite music program- probably thousands - and yet that exact song was playing, the same song that was playing on a CD in my home and going through my head as I walked into the store.

Well, I thought it was an eerie coincidence, anyway.  It's not even a song I've ever given that much thought to, either.

Ok, you all know what's coming. Yup, here be Crowded House's "Donl't Dream It's Over". Good song.

• Like 1

"Ohio" is unquestionably a great song. There were a myriad of anti-war songs in the 60s and early 70s, of course. But the thing about  "Ohio" is, even without the lyrics, it's a compelling piece of music. What a fantastic intro, you've got Young's jagged, hypnotic riff, with Stephen Stills' lead guitar weaving in and out.  Miinor key and everything.

Silly but true story: I was just a kid when this came out on the radio, and as such, was only vaguely aware of the student protests in the States. For ages, I thought the chorus was "Oh, Daddy, Ohio", instead of "Four Dead in Ohio".

Ah, you and darkblue -- you kids.  

Yesterday was the anniversary of the killings at Kent State. I was recalling all the history and reactions to it.  My friends (students in college at the time--and others serving the in US forces in Vietnam at the time) all these decades later- we share the same feelings about it. 

• Like 1

"Ohio" is unquestionably a great song. There were a myriad of anti-war songs in the 60s and early 70s, of course. But the thing about  "Ohio" is, even without the lyrics, it's a compelling piece of music. What a fantastic intro, you've got Young's jagged, hypnotic riff, with Stephen Stills' lead guitar weaving in and out.  Miinor key and everything.

Silly but true story: I was just a kid when this came out on the radio, and as such, was only vaguely aware of the student protests in the States. For ages, I thought the chorus was "Oh, Daddy, Ohio", instead of "Four Dead in Ohio".

..and the song was written very quickly. The best anti-war song of all, though, was "Wooden Ships". "What's Going On" was partly an anti-war song, as was "What's Happening, Brother?"

Here is a very strange coincidence:

Everybody know that song, "Don't Dream It's Over" (otherwise known as "Hey Now, Hey Now") ? I'm not really a Crowded House fan, but that's a pretty darn good song.

Anyway, it's the kind of song that's been covered by a few people. So get this: Diana Krall has just released a new album, all covers of pop songs she likes. She does a version of "Don't Dream It's Over".

So yesterday I left my house while that song was playing. It was still going through my head as I walked into the store I was planning to shop at, and that very song was playing in the store. A different version - not Diana Krall's, and not the original.

How weird is that? Think of all the songs the store could have had on their satellite music program- probably thousands - and yet that exact song was playing, the same song that was playing on a CD in my home and going through my head as I walked into the store.

Well, I thought it was an eerie coincidence, anyway.  It's not even a song I've ever given that much thought to, either.

That is weird!  I find that sort of thing fascinating.  This song is beautiful in an aching sort of way.  Somehow it fills me with such nostalgia.

I heard this Joe Jackson song on my i-Pod today.  Around the time it came out I saw him in concert.  I think he even had a horn section.  This also reminds me how much I miss music videos.  I want my MTV! (As it was.) 

• Like 1

I heard this Joe Jackson song on my i-Pod today.  Around the time it came out I saw him in concert.  I think he even had a horn section.  This also reminds me how much I miss music videos.  I want my MTV! (As it was.) 

I have Jackson's "Steppin' Out" and "Look Sharp" on MY ipod.

Thanks for the Joe Jackson tune, GayDivorcee. Takes me back. Whenever I see that video, I always kind of wish I was in it. The cobblestone walkway, the train, the happy ending, the kind old English lady...

speaking of English:

A few days ago Great Britain had an election. Wonder how much the place has changed since this, one of the ultimate "British" rock songs. Poor old Arthur.

A few days ago Great Britain had an election. Wonder how much the place has changed since this, one of the ultimate "British" rock songs. Poor old Arthur.

Mr. Gay D and I watched the BBC's online coverage of the election for hours and hours that night.  Fascinating!  A favorite moment was Boris Johnson giving his acceptance speech, flanked by a member of the Monster Raving Looney Party and another minority party member in colorful attire.  I love how all of the candidates must stand together to await the results, not hidden away in hotel rooms as in the U.S.  Absolutely riveting viewing.

Many thanks for The Kinks.

Mr. Gay D and I watched the BBC's online coverage of the election for hours and hours that night.  Fascinating!  A favorite moment was Boris Johnson giving his acceptance speech, flanked by a member of the Monster Raving Looney Party and another minority party member in colorful attire.  I love how all of the candidates must stand together to await the results, not hidden away in hotel rooms as in the U.S.  Absolutely riveting viewing.

Hidden away in hotel rooms? That's interesting. My husband and I also watched the British election returns late into the night - it was still going on at dawn! (dawn in Britain). I saw those "looney party" guys too. I wish we had a bit of that kind of thing over here.

In Canada, the candidates are neither all lined up together (U.K. style) nor hidden away in hotel rooms (USA style?). Each candidate is hanging out in some venue, along with his/her supporters. The venue, whatever it may be, usually has some kind of stage or dais, and when the results for their riding are announced, the candidate gets up on the dais and makes some kind of speech- very short if they've lost, longer if they've won.  They're not physically in the same place as their competitiors, nor are they discreetly waiting in a hotel room. Interesting how all three countries (UK, USA, Canada) are similar in many ways, and so different in others.

Many thanks for The Kinks.

I gave this part of your quote a separate post because I wanted to draw attention to the Kinks. In fact, the real reason I commented on the UK election was for an excuse to post "Arthur", a song all about the little guy. Very English.

I love the Kinks, and am always surprised and a little disappointed that so few people seem familiar with their music, other then the well-known hits (I'm actually sick of "You Really Got Me".)

The album that song "Arthur" came from is called Arthur( or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire). It's a like a hidden musical treasure, chock a block full of great tunes and thoughtful lyrics.

• Like 2

I love how all of the candidates must stand together to await the results, not hidden away in hotel rooms as in the U.S. Absolutely riveting viewing.

I think if that was done in the U.S. we'd be seeing live murders happening on our televisions with every election. That'd sure be riveting.

• Like 1

This is a song for Mother's Day. If anyone doesn't know the story behind this song, they can look it up.

[/quote

]

That must have been a difficult thing for her to do. It was the ultimate gift one could give. Thanks for sharing this.

Hidden away in hotel rooms? That's interesting. My husband and I also watched the British election returns late into the night - it was still going on at dawn! (dawn in Britain). I saw those "looney party" guys too. I wish we had a bit of that kind of thing over here.

Usually the presidential and higher office candidates watch the results from hotel rooms, and the audience is shown shots of them with their families and  campaign aids putting on a brave face for the camera.  They'll then descend to a ballroom full of their supporters to make acceptance or concession speeches.  That's why I was so struck by the British election with all of them standing together as the numbers were announced, thinking of a Mitt Romney or Obama sweating it out arm to arm with fringe party candidates!  Not that the  eccentric types are unworthy--I especially liked the Looney party's "Three socks to every pack" platform, very sensible! 

I love the Kinks, and am always surprised and a little disappointed that so few people seem familiar with their music, other then the well-known hits (I'm actually sick of "You Really Got Me".)

The album that song "Arthur" came from is called Arthur( or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire). It's a like a hidden musical treasure, chock a block full of great tunes and thoughtful lyrics.

The Kinks are wonderful, and it's sad to think people don't know their music.  I saw them in concert in 1977, an exciting show in a hall small enough to see them clearly.  Ray Davies said he was sick, but gave it his all.   "Victoria" was one of my favorites--somewhere I have the 45 moldering away.

• Like 1

The Kinks are wonderful, and it's sad to think people don't know their music.  I saw them in concert in 1977, an exciting show in a hall small enough to see them clearly.  Ray Davies said he was sick, but gave it his all.   "Victoria" was one of my favorites--somewhere I have the 45 moldering away.

Their must have been some kinks in the Kinks'  promotion mechanism.

I gave this part of your quote a separate post because I wanted to draw attention to the Kinks. In fact, the real reason I commented on the UK election was for an excuse to post "Arthur", a song all about the little guy. Very English.

I'm glad you brought up the Kinks, because you reminded me that I have no Kinks on my ipod. So I've listened to a lot of Kinks today, and I think I'm going to get "You Really Got me" (low hanging fruit), "Superman", and "Catch Me Now I'm Falling".

I'm glad you brought up the Kinks, because you reminded me that I have no Kinks on my ipod. So I've listened to a lot of Kinks today, and I think I'm going to get "You Really Got me" (low hanging fruit), "Superman", and "Catch Me Now I'm Falling".

Or maybe even "Arthur".

Thanks for the Steve Earle song, misswonderly. Love that guy - and I'm not too big on country music, but he transcends.

Here's another one I like a lot - "I hate to fall in love"

If You Fall

Crank It!