Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

The first Kinks' album I bought was Lola vs.The Moneygoround and

Something Else Which I Don't Remember, Volume One. There turned

out to be no volume two. Darn. It had the hit single Lola on it and this

song too. Pretty good album all around. Many of the Kinks' albums,

including the early ones, are on YT.

The KInks are arguably the wittiest of rock groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqwCko-kzR0

You can't beat "Hey, what's your name again?"

edit: It's occurred to me that I should not like this song, given what some might consider its tone, arguably degrading to women. You'd think , I suppose, that as a woman I'd be offended by it, but I just think it's funny. I also have an unabashed fondness for the Stones' "Under My Thumb".

Sometimes a great rock n roll song is just a great rock n roll song.

• Like 1

Great song misswonderly. Love it. I have it on my mp3 player and I never tire of it. Love the Kinks as well. I just heard Celluloid Heroes- live version from 1979. It's got a great intro. I can't figure out posting videos or I would. Haven't heard Who'll be the Next in Line for a long time. Thanks dark.

This is one of those songs that makes you remember you're alive. I love the way it rocks hard, it's like an anthem, and then a little over halfway through it turns into a Motown tribute. It's a great song.

WAKE UP !

Very first purchase of a Kinks record - a 45. The year - 1965.

When I play it today, I crank it, and I still jump around the room. Pure, double-tracked reverb rock.

Love this one.  Must add it to my i-Pod!

The KInks are arguably the wittiest of rock groups.

DGF, I wonder if you know the band Sparks?  Their lyrics are witty and clever.  Their album Kimono My House is just brilliant.  They've been together since 1970 or so.  Very much worth having a look at!

This is one of those songs that makes you remember you're alive. I love the way it rocks hard, it's like an anthem, and then a little over halfway through it turns into a Motown tribute. It's a great song.

WAKE UP !

Somehow it keeps stopping.  I'll give it another try tomorrow.  I'm curious, as I haven't heard of the band.

Don't think I've ever mentioned how much I liked the music of the 90's. I remember as my daughter was getting ready to enter high school, this one-hit wonder was being played and I taped the song and would play it in the car all the time - telling her "now don't forget these important high school etiquette lessons" (I'm such a card).

I'd always crank this. Forever immature, ay.

Nada Surf - Popular

• Like 1

Here's a different youtube uploading of it. this one's better anyway, it's got a video

Thanks for this version.  Weird how some will stop and start, stop and start.  I like them!  A passionate sound, and always good to see a fiddle and accordion.  They sound vaguely familiar, so I've probably heard them and not known who they are.   I'll look for more of them. 

Don't think I've ever mentioned how much I liked the music of the 90's. I remember as my daughter was getting ready to enter high school, this one-hit wonder was being played and I taped the song and would play it in the car all the time - telling her "now don't forget these important high school etiquette lessons" (I'm such a card).

I'd always crank this. Forever immature, ay.

Nada Surf - Popular

Somehow missed this in the 90s--I like it!   You sound like a very fun father.  :)

The Animals were my second concert.  I remember my mother waiting in the parking lot of a junior college for my sister and me after the concert at the gymnasium.  Exciting to see them live, and also  be on a college campus!

• Like 1

GayDivorcee, thanks for the Animals tune. They were a fine little British Invasion band. Came up with some very good songs.

Likewise, although in a totally different way, The Clash were kind of British Invasion, second wave. And they too, came up with some very good songs. 

Not that the Animals and the Clash have much else in common. But I like them both.

GayDivorcee, thanks for the Animals tune. They were a fine little British Invasion band. Came up with some very good songs.

Likewise, although in a totally different way, The Clash were kind of British Invasion, second wave. And they too, came up with some very good songs. 

Not that the Animals and the Clash have much else in common. But I like them both.

They were more than a fine "little" band. They were one of the best, and most underrated, of all British bands that came out of the '60s. I would place them easily ahead of the Kinks, but I'm the same person who thinks that "Turn Down Day" is a great song.

They were more than a fine "little" band. They were one of the best, and most underrated, of all British bands that came out of the '60s. I would place them easily ahead of the Kinks, but I'm the same person who thinks that "Turn Down Day" is a great song.

Yup, fi, there's no way The Animals, much as I like them, rate "easily ahead of the Kinks". 

I have a feeling you go mostly by singles, hits, etc., and are unfamiliar with the LP material of either group.

(But correct me if I'm wrong.)