Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

GayDivorcee, thanks for the Animals tune. They were a fine little British Invasion band. Came up with some very good songs.

Likewise, although in a totally different way, The Clash were kind of British Invasion, second wave. And they too, came up with some very good songs. 

Not that the Animals and the Clash have much else in common. But I like them both.

Love the Clash.  It's funny hearing their songs in car? commercials today, as they were such a outlaw sort of band back then.  I think there was a documentary on them a few years ago or so--must have a look for it.

"His majesty, Prince Jones, smiled as he moved among the crowd" always gives me goosebumps.  This song conjures up such a magical time.

Yes, an allusion to the Stones' Brian Jones before he became 100 % drug-addled (maybe only about 80 % at the time of Monterey.)

Something else that famously happened at the Monterey Pop Festival was Jimi Hendrix' first appearance performing (as the Jimi Hendrix we all think of) in the States. The audience was absolutely blown away.

Here is a very intense song about ambivalent feelings, mostly hatred. I like the line, "But if you go, who will I have left to hate?"  Ah, there are always people we love to hate.

It's Time.

Somehow I missed his one.  He's so great with lyrics.  Some really apt ones here.  

I saw him perform in 1978 or '79 and he was as good as you would expect.  He didn't do an encore though, and the punk-ish crowd wasn't thrilled about that.  Happy to say around the same time The Clash did play an encore!  What a time for music.

How about an old-fashioned literal battle of the bands--Kinks vs.

The Animals. Walkers will be provided at the venue.

In the last few days I saw a commercial, I believe for Choice Hotels,

using the Clash's Should I Stay or Should I Go?  Makes sense.

Rude Boy from 1980 is a good movie about the Clash. It's not

strictly a concert film, but it has a lot of good concert footage. I

love the way Joe stamps his feet during a song. He means it

man.

I only saw part of it, but the documentary I remember must have been Joe Strummer:  The Future is Unwritten (2007).  It may have been on IFC, as they produced it, or so I just read on Wiki.   His page is interesting, and mentions he was the first, or one of the first, to make carbon neutral records.

Yup, fi, there's no way The Animals, much as I like them, rate "easily ahead of the Kinks". 

I have a feeling you go mostly by singles, hits, etc., and are unfamiliar with the LP material of either group.

(But correct me if I'm wrong.)

Consider yourself corrected.

I remember also seeing a documentary about Joe Strummer, but I can't recall the title.

There was a continuing sequence of people sitting around a campfire reminiscing about

Joe with other material about his solo tour, with one sequence of him passing out tickets

to his show trying to get people to come to it. It's rough out there, even for a rock and roll

legend.

Yes, that was the one I partly saw, with the campfire scene.

"Broadway Hotel" from Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat."  I was never quite sure what it was about, maybe loneliness, or something darker?   It has haunted me all these years.

Good tune.  ALL the tunes on that LP were good.  I more preferred "On The Border".

I knew a guy who SWORE that Stewart was DONOVAN singing under another name.!

Yeah, well, their voices WERE similar.  But that's as far as THAT went!

Sepiatone

I knew a guy who SWORE that Stewart was DONOVAN singing under another name.!

Yeah, well, their voices WERE similar.  But that's as far as THAT went!

Both are good songwriters, though Donovan was a more prolific hit maker.

I have 2 cd's from each of them.

OK, name me your 5 favorite "new wave" songs.

I never said how MANY,  could be one, up to twenty.  It depends..

"New wave", I'd have to do a bit of thinking as there's songs that AREN'T, but THOUGHT of as "new wave".

Off the top of my head, I'd have to go with The Plimsouls' "A Million Miles away".  Maybe Thomas Dolby's "Hyperactive", although there are songs on the "Flat Earth LP it's on that I like better.  "White City", "Screen Kiss" and  "Mulu of The Rain Forest", which really isn't what some would call "new wave".

Sepiatone

Thanks Divorcee...

I was trying to remember the name of that group.

Never really CARED for 'em, but a friend of mine loved 'em, and he's dropped from everyone's sight lately, and a few of us were sitting around talking about him, and NObody there could remember them either!

Sepiatone

Thanks Divorcee...

I was trying to remember the name of that group.

Never really CARED for 'em, but a friend of mine loved 'em, and he's dropped from everyone's sight lately, and a few of us were sitting around talking about him, and NObody there could remember them either!

Sepiatone

They're still together and performing after over 40 years.  I saw them a few years ago in a stripped down show, just voice and keyboards and they were great, but I am a hardcore fan and biased.  Hope your Sparks-loving friend reappears! 

They're still together and performing after over 40 years.  I saw them a few years ago in a stripped down show, just voice and keyboards and they were great, but I am a hardcore fan and biased.  Hope your Sparks-loving friend reappears! 

Sadly, ll I can say about Dennis( his name) is that the COPS hope he makes an appearance, too!

And, HE was the ONLY one among the rest of us, who actually LIKED that band!

Sepiatone