Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

There's a new movie out about Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. It's called Love and Mercy. Maybe you guys have heard of it. It did not get good reviews, but I don't care, I'll go see it just because it's about the Beach Boys.

Also, I like John Cusack and Paul Dano, and they're both in it.

Here is a deliciously lush early song by the boys. The lyrics, as usual with the Beach Boys, are slightly less impressive than the music. But I always say, in a song, the music is more important than the lyrics. (But that's something that could be reserved for an entire thread, maybe in "Chit Chat". I know a lot of people disagree with me about that.)

So sink into the soft and sweet as a toasted marshmallow world of "Don't Worry, Baby" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW0YGC68qP4

• Like 2

There's a new movie out about Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. It's called Love and Mercy. Maybe you guys have heard of it. It did not get good reviews, but I don't care, I'll go see it just because it's about the Beach Boys.

Here is a deliciously lush early song by the boys. The lyrics, as usual with the Beach Boys, are slightly less impressive than the music. But I always say, in a song, the music is more important than the lyrics. (But that's something that could be reserved for an entire thread, maybe in "Chit Chat". I know a lot of people disagree with me about that.)

So sink into the soft and sweet as a toasted marshmallow world of "Don't Worry, Baby" :

I'm seeing the movie, too, critics be damned!  They are such a part of my growing up. 

"Don't Worry Baby" is one of my two favorite Beach Boys songs. Here's the other, "The Warmth of the Sun." The line "I cried when she said, I don't feel the same way" pierces my heart every time. Pass the marshmallows. 

• Like 2

Yes, I love "Warmth of the Sun". Brian Wilson really knew how to lull his listeners into a semi-hypnotic state of emotional warmth (not unlike the sun !) and well-being, even if it were only for the 2 minutes and 50 seconds (or so) that the songs lasted.  I say "songS", plural, because he wrote a lot of songs like this, most of them lovely.

I was fortunate to see the Beach Boys in concert in '79, when the three Wilson brothers were still together.  Saw them again in 2000, but the only original member performing was Mike Love.

I was fortunate to see the Beach Boys in concert in '79, when the three Wilson brothers were still together.  Saw them again in 2000, but the only original member performing was Mike Love.

I saw them in '78 at Toronto's CNE. But we had lousy seats.

Yes, I love "Warmth of the Sun". Brian Wilson really knew how to lull his listeners into a semi-hypnotic state of emotional warmth (not unlike the sun !) and well-being, even if it were only for the 2 minutes and 50 seconds (or so) that the songs lasted.  I say "songS", plural, because he wrote a lot of songs like this, most of them lovely.

For once, we completely agree.

As a guitarist, and self taught to boot( and not able to "read") I find the chord chart of "Warmth Of The Sun" to be fascinating.

It starts out following a pattern that was heavily used in late '50's "pop" music, and takes a "left turn" , heading in an unexpected direction.

Now, I don't subscribe to this "genius of Brian Wilson" stuff at all.  I DO concede however, that he IS, and was one of "modern America's" more clever and creative songwriters.   "Genius seems to be a word too often bounced around, and a lot in situations where it DOESN'T belong.  I think Wilson himself, probably laughs at the idea!

Sepiatone

As a guitarist, and self taught to boot( and not able to "read") I find the chord chart of "Warmth Of The Sun" to be fascinating.

It starts out following a pattern that was heavily used in late '50's "pop" music, and takes a "left turn" , heading in an unexpected direction.

Now, I don't subscribe to this "genius of Brian Wilson" stuff at all.  I DO concede however, that he IS, and was one of "modern America's" more clever and creative songwriters.   "Genius seems to be a word too often bounced around, and a lot in situations where it DOESN'T belong.  I think Wilson himself, probably laughs at the idea!

Sepiatone

...and, within the genre of "rock", is certainly one of the top two or three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW0YGC68qP4

My son has recommended it to me too.  I will be checking it out. 

Not all that early, as their career as a group was well along the way by the time "Don't Worry Baby" came out about '64 or so.

There ARE some who think, despite what the lyrics are TRYING to portend, that the song was a sort of premonition of Brian Wilson's eventual drug and emotional/mental problems.  Listening to some of the lyrics, I suppose one CAN read that into it.

I've seen a couple of Beach Boy "bios", one was Pretty good, but the one in which BRAD DOURIF, of all guys...plays DENNIS WILSON was kinda bad.  But, the 2000 TV mini series was much better.

Glad to see you finally caught up with what many of us already knew!

Welcome IN, finally!

Sepiatone

There ARE some who think, despite what the lyrics are TRYING to portend, that the song was a sort of premonition of Brian Wilson's eventual drug and emotional/mental problems.  Listening to some of the lyrics, I suppose one CAN read that into it.

People make me laugh with that sort of thing.

'Don't Worry Baby' is a car song, plain and simple. Or rather, a romance song set to a car-culture backdrop.

Beautifully harmonized, though. Possibly the best performance of their early years.

• Like 1

People make me laugh with that sort of thing.

'Don't Worry Baby' is a car song, plain and simple. Or rather, a romance song set to a car-culture backdrop.

Beautifully harmonized, though. Possibly the best performance of their early years.

Agree. The top 3 early songs are "Don't Worry Baby", "All Summer Long", and "When I Grow Up to be a Man".

Do I detect a note of condescension there, Sepia? I think that's un-called for.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I do know a fair bit about the Beach Boys, their music and their history.

Yes, Don't Worry Baby was not all THAT early...sort of the equivalent, time-wise, of the Beatles' Help  (for example.) Not super-early in their career, but pre- Sgt. Pepper, which is regarded as a turning-point in the trajectory of the Beatles' creativity and musical exploration, just as Pet Sounds was regarded as such for the Beach Boys  (or really, mainly Brian Wilson.)

I guess I regard anything pre - Pet Sounds as comparatively early.

Now I really hope that what I just said above doesn't morph into one of those endless discussions about these bands, their significant dates and time periods and albums etc. etc.

I find those kinds of discussions 1) a "guy" thing  and 2) kind of pointless.  They're usually just an excuse for a show-off fest for people (usually, as I said, men) to demonstrate their knowledge about such matters.

Anyway, I usually make the choice to not take offense if someone says something where potentially I could  (take offense, that is.) But that statement you made which I quoted above sounds pretty patronizing to me.

so most show-offs are guys?

so most show-offs are guys?

About stuff like trivia, citing dates, facts, personnel, etc. of bands ( be they rock, pop, soul, jazz, or whatever), yes, I'd say so.

Have you seen the movie Diner? (I hope so, it's a great film.)  Do you remember the scene where the wife of the record-collector guy had put one of his records in the wrong section , and he yelled at her about it? The poor young woman (touchingly played by Ellen Barkin), taken aback by the intensity of her husband's outrage, quietly told him, "I just want to listen to the music. That's all. "

I think that scene says a lot about the difference between (most) men and women when it comes to that whole issue.

• Like 1

About stuff like trivia, citing dates, facts, personnel, etc. of bands ( be they rock, pop, soul, jazz, or whatever), yes, I'd say so.

Have you seen the movie Diner? (I hope so, it's a great film.)  Do you remember the scene where the wife of the record-collector guy had put one of his records in the wrong section , and he yelled at her about it? The poor young woman (touchingly played by Ellen Barkin), taken aback by the intensity of her husband's outrage, quietly told him, "I just want to listen to the music. That's all. "

I think that scene says a lot about the difference between (most) men and women when it comes to that whole issue.

Alphabetical order (by artist) was always good enough for me. Still is.

That guy's system was too complicated.

Ahh, the good old days when chicks had to put up with all that insufferable sh!t because men made the biggest paychecks.

• Like 2

Yeah, poor Ellen. Although come to think of it, how did Shrevie (the Daniel Stern character) earn his paycheque anyway?

Back to the Beach Boys:

Here's a LATE  (haha) entry into the Beach Boys canon, "This Whole World". As usual, it's best to pay more attention to the music than the lyrics. Great tune, but it's too short. 

Turn it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uod3WfJKWHs

Deciphering the record collection was a

cinch compared to the Baltimore Colts quiz.

Yeah, but at least Shrevie and Beth were already married. Poor Elyse had to prove her esoteric knowledge of a football team in order to get married.

They're supposed to be kept in some sort of order? :unsure: