Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Wow.

That post I wrote to Sepiatone has been deleted. Scary.

This thread has never had anything like that happen in it before.

I didn't even think the moderators bothered with this thread. Evverything here is usually pretty harmonious.

I really do not believe I said anything in that post that merited deletion. This whole thing kind of disturbs me.

Wow.

That post I wrote to Sepiatone has been deleted. Scary.

This thread has never had anything like that happen in it before.

I didn't even think the moderators bothered with this thread. Evverything here is usually pretty harmonious.

I really do not believe I said anything in that post that merited deletion. This whole thing kind of disturbs me.

Very strange.  Yet it still appears below, as quoted by DownGoesFrazier, so readers can see here was nothing objectionable.  Someone must have reported it, and that is disturbing.

No,  I thank you for the support, GD, but the post I'm talking about was a different one, and it's definitely been deleted.

Actually, now that I scroll down and look at the recent posts here, I see that Sepiatone's posts are gone too.  This is REALLY STRANGE.

Even though I was annoyed by Sepia's comments to me, I definitely did not think they were delete-worthy. The entire exchange wasn't all that bad, I've seen far worse in the General Discussions forum that's been let stand.

Maybe there's a new, overly-eager moderator who's over-doing their job.

I mean, come on, all message boards are allowed a bit of crankiness.

No,  I thank you for the support, GD, but the post I'm talking about was a different one, and it's definitely been deleted.

Actually, now that I scroll down and look at the recent posts here, I see that Sepiatone's posts are gone too.  This is REALLY STRANGE.

Even though I was annoyed by Sepia's comments to me, I definitely did not think they were delete-worthy. The entire exchange wasn't all that bad, I've seen far worse in the General Discussions forum that's been let stand.

Maybe there's a new, overly-eager moderator who's over-doing their job.

I mean, come on, all message boards are allowed a bit of crankiness.

Sorry, I must have missed the post in question. But it is odd that both your and Sepiatone's posts were removed.  It's not as if this is the rock 'em sock 'em General Discussions forum!

It's very weird. I think someone made a mistake. While I was pretty emphatic with Sepiatone, I was not "nasty", certainly not anywhere near enough to have my comments deleted.

And for that matter, although I was annoyed at his posts to me, there was nothing in anything Sepia said worthy of deletion either.

Good gawd, if we can't get a little cranky with each other now and then on these boards, what is to become of us? We'll end up like the people in Monty Python's  Happy Valley, who were ordered to go around with perpetual smiles on their faces on pain of death.

It's very weird. I think someone made a mistake. While I was pretty emphatic with Sepiatone, I was not "nasty", certainly not anywhere near enough to have my comments deleted.

And for that matter, although I was annoyed at his posts to me, there was nothing in anything Sepia said worthy of deletion either.

Good gawd, if we can't get a little cranky with each other now and then on these boards, what is to become of us? We'll end up like the people in Monty Python's  Happy Valley, who were ordered to go around with perpetual smiles on their faces on pain of death.

Happy Valley!  Sounds gruesome.

Maybe a moderator could explain why they were deleted?

Did the Goderator delete my APOLOGY as well?

If so, then he, as is usually the case, DID "overstep his bounds".  I'm not even sure THIS post will be read by many before the Goderator deletes IT.

He either needs to lighten up or get laid.  Whichever works best!

Sepiatone

As you yourself have said, sometimes comments seem nastier in print than one intends. Time to break out some emoticoms. 

Keeping with surf music, a version of Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1:

Genuinely unusual combination of Erik Satie's famous meditative classical piece and surf music.  Plus, over four minutes of surf ! I'm kind of surprised I liked it, but I did. It "worked".

By the way, GD, did you know that this same piece - well, the original, Gymnopedie No. 1, was used in the Woody Allen film "Another Woman" ? The Satie music is used to great effect in the movie, since it's so melancholy and contemplative,  which sort of describes the way Gena Rowlands feels throughout much of the story.

Happy Bloomsday!  A little early, but it's midnight on the east coast.

Yes.

Wow, Stef, and we were just talking the other day about that chapter in Ulysses ! Yes.

Lovely song, I was unfamiliar with it til your posting. Kate kind of nailed it.

• Like 1

Genuinely unusual combination of Erik Satie's famous meditative classical piece and surf music.  Plus, over four minutes of surf ! I'm kind of surprised I liked it, but I did. It "worked".

By the way, GD, did you know that this same piece - well, the original, Gymnopedie No. 1, was used in the Woody Allen film "Another Woman" ? The Satie music is used to great effect in the movie, since it's so melancholy and contemplative,  which sort of describes the way Gena Rowlands feels throughout much of the story.

I'd heard it on the radio on a weekly surf music hour and liked it a lot.  No, it's not really something you'd think would work, but it's somehow moving.

I don't remember Gymhopedie in the Woody Allen movie, my poor ol' memory.  I saw that just once and need to see it again.  He uses so much great music in his movies.   

Glad you liked Kate.  Since this song she's re-recorded it, having gotten permission from James Joyce's estate to use more text from the book.  I'd thought about only saying "yes" today, but who knows what might happen?!   

It's not the same Ulysses, but why not? Any excuse to play Cream:

(Anyway, it sort of is the same Ulysses, since Mr. Joyce based his book on the original...sort of. Oh, what the hell do I know, I've only read Dubliners.)

• Like 3

Oh, Vautrin, you is funny. And that video was pretty darn funny, too.  Wonder if Leopold would have liked it?

200px-Poldy.png

He's not saying.

Here's a sad song I've always liked. Every time I hear it played, it reminds me that I'm not going back anymore  (to being 14 years old again...)

• Like 4

Oh, Vautrin, you is funny. And that video was pretty darn funny, too.  Wonder if Leopold would have liked it?

200px-Poldy.png

He's not saying.

Here's a sad song I've always liked. Every time I hear it played, it reminds me that I'm not going back anymore  (to being 14 years old again...)

Sad.  I know some guys who've never LEFT being 14 years old.  And some folks, once reaching their mid to late 70's who HAVE "gone back" to being 14, or even YOUNGER!

But, Ringo's done a few songs I really liked.  His "No-No Song" is still one of my favorites, and one I too, can relate to!

Sepiatone

I posted this song before in another thread.

(I didn't realize that this Favorite Music thread existed until recently. )

"Morning Please Don't Come" is a duet between Dusty Springfield and her brother Tom Springfield (aka Dion O'Brien).

The song was written by Tom Springfield.

Dusty is one of my favorite singers of all-time.

I love this song and its sentiment.

• Like 1

Glad there's finally a half-decent copy of this on YT (it's not entirely decent, mind you!)

Kay, thank you for that. You clearly have an extensive and often off-beat knowledge and taste in music. i thought I knew a lot of lesser-known musicians, but I'd never heard of Abner Jay. I looked him up. sounds like a really interesting guy. And a little raunchy stand up comedy, too !