Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

From the pre beret and camo era.

Richard Thompson ! Richard Thompson !  He's so great, and so undeservedly unknown in North America, I'm exclaiming his name twice !  (the exclamation points are mandatory.)

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that this guy is one of the smartest, most talented songwriters and guitarists ever. Maybe not for all tastes, maybe that's why he's not a household name.

I think I posted this once before, ages ago. But it literally is one of my favourites.

MissW:

Been saying the same thing about CHRIS SMITHER for years now.

Look him up...

You won't be disappointed.  However, the latest crop of Youtube clips aren't him at his best.  Don't understand why they bothered to post them, but hunt down some older CDs( I recommend "Live as I'll ever be") and you'll enjoy.

Sepiatone

Tonight CNN showed a documentary of Glen Campbell and his final tour as he suffers with Alzheimers.  It wasn't cool to like him when I was growing up, but I did.  This is my favorite, Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman."  Just to add, I hadn't known he was a session musician for The Beach Boys and others.

• Like 2

Richard Thompson ! Richard Thompson !  He's so great, and so undeservedly unknown in North America, I'm exclaiming his name twice !  (the exclamation points are mandatory.)

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that this guy is one of the smartest, most talented songwriters and guitarists ever. Maybe not for all tastes, maybe that's why he's not a household name.

I think I posted this once before, ages ago. But it literally is one of my favourites.

Why don't I know him?  I don't remember his music on the radio or reading about him, and I used to read a lot about music.  Weird. I must look into this!

Jimmy Webb is a songwriter who meant quite a lot to me in the mid to late 60's. It was rock star Johnny Rivers who discovered him. Webb had written a bittersweet ballad called 'By the Time I Get to Phoenix' in 1964 and it was Rivers who finally recorded it two years later - the first artist to record a Webb song - and placed it on his 1966 album 'Changes'. Rivers' rendition of the song became a modest hit, but it was Glen Campbell's version that hit biggest some 18 months later.

Webb was just what Rivers was looking for in '66, as Rivers was making a big change from his previous roots rock style to more of a ballad singer. He liked Webb's unrecorded catalogue of songs so much, he devoted nearly an entire album to them - the album was called 'Rewind' in early 1967.

Here's my own particular favorite Webb song from that album. Really spoke to the lovesick 16 year old me.

• Like 1

Oh, man - when I get goin' on Johnny Rivers, it's hard to stop. Here's one more Webb song from Rivers' 'Rewind'. This one became a hit single later on for Al Wilson. Webb owes enormous gratitude to Johnny Rivers for showcasing all this stuff.

Interesting.

Never a BIG Rivers fan myself, I thought he was OK though. 

Many of us DID like his cover of "Memphis", and thought "Secret Agent Man" was kinda cool.  Not so much "Summer Rain".

Didn't know that about his association with Jimmy Webb.  Although I'm not sure Rivers discovered him, plus, I have a hard time imagining Rivers doing a version of  McARTHUR PARK!  ;)

Sepiatone

Oh, what the hell. Gotta add this one - the very first recording of Webb's 'By the Time I Get to Phoenix'.

Interesting--I hadn't known of the Jimmy Webb/Johnny Rivers connection, but they're a fine match.  I hadn't realized how much Jimmy Webb had written, and how young he'd started. 

By the way, on my Jimmy Webb googling today I discovered he's performing this Friday, July 3rd, in Ontario!  (Canada, that is.)

• Like 1

[...]I'd never heard of Abner Jay. I looked him up. sounds like a really interesting guy. And a little raunchy stand up comedy, too !

Abner Jay should be more well-known, certainly. I first heard of him from a series of CDs put out annually by Oxford American magazine (which I can't seem to get a hold of anymore) featuring southern artists, often from just one state. They always found some really interesting musicians to include, as well as more popular ones and some so unknown you can barely find them anywhere else.

Here's another memorable song from the same disc that featured Mr. Jay (that must've been a good issue.) He was a street performer who would improvise songs about various passers-by, according to the article on him, which you can tell from some of his other recordings. He's entertaining to listen to; he's no Abner Jay, of course.

That was awesome.  

I have seen MacArthur Park (LosAngeles) and, well, I hope it may see better days.  I too am wondering why about MacArthur Park.

My guess is that Webb likely already had the melody worked out, but no lyrics.  The name of the park probably struck his fancy, and seemed to "fit" the melody line and tempo "metre".

But the song doesn't seem to actually be about the park.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

This '80s song seems to have everything going against it. Unknown singer, lyrics about kids, but it's catchy as h**l, and really well-done.

Good one, DGF.

What I've been finding with so much of today's "hits" and popular acts is such a lack of lyrics. Seems so much of the time the writer comes up with one line - maybe two - and it's just repeated over and over for 4 and a half minutes.

Melodies have been pretty much used up now as well, so unless you're into watching chicks show all of their legs, there's really very little happening musically anymore. Yet, apparently it sells to the young.

I really miss the days when songwriters had some gift for actually writing a full song.

• Like 1

Good one, DGF.

What I've been finding with so much of today's "hits" and popular acts is such a lack of lyrics. Seems so much of the time the writer comes up with one line - maybe two - and it's just repeated over and over for 4 and a half minutes.

Generally I agree with your statement.

Here's an example of what I think is an exception: "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" from Panic! At The Disco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0FI7prMDzA

The song has good lyrics, a great melody and a wonderfully enigmatic title.

Not bad, Holden.

Hope you don't mind me saying how much it reminds me of the Barenaked Ladies song style.

Yes, there are definitely stylistic similarities.

Here's "The Big Bang Theory" by Barenaked Ladies.

(I also like the TV show.)

That was awesome.  

I have seen MacArthur Park (LosAngeles) and, well, I hope it may see better days.  I too am wondering why about MacArthur Park.

Here are Jimmy Webb's words about the song, as quoted in Wikipedia.  (I love that songs have their own Wiki pages.):

Everything in the song was visible. There's nothing in it that's fabricated. The old men playing checkers by the trees, the cake that was left out in the rain, all of the things that are talked about in the song are things I actually saw. And so it's a kind of musical collage of this whole love affair that kind of went down in MacArthur Park. ... Back then, I was kind of like an emotional machine, like whatever was going on inside me would bubble out of the piano and onto paper. 

• Like 1

Good one, DGF.

Melodies have been pretty much used up now as well, so unless you're into watching chicks show all of their legs, there's really very little happening musically anymore. Yet, apparently it sells to the young.

I really miss the days when songwriters had some gift for actually writing a full song.

Careful, Dark....you might fall into a trap I caught my MOTHER in, if you recall....

We used to "mock argue" about the differences in "her" music and "mine" sometimes, although we both liked certain songs and/or artists from each...

But, the "lyrics" thing was one of HER points.  Like YOU said...."Lack of lyrics", to which I pointed out, songs from "her" day, like "Hutsut Ralston onna riiler-whar"(or whatver) and  "MARE-ZEE-DOTES".  "You mean meaningful lyrics like THAT, mom?"  I'd then ask.

I think I know what you mean, but I'm trying to discern if it's the LYRICS that I think have no real meaning, or the vernacular that I don't understand?

Sepiatone

Here are Jimmy Webb's words about the song, as quoted in Wikipedia.  (I love that songs have their own Wiki pages.):

Everything in the song was visible. There's nothing in it that's fabricated. The old men playing checkers by the trees, the cake that was left out in the rain, all of the things that are talked about in the song are things I actually saw. And so it's a kind of musical collage of this whole love affair that kind of went down in MacArthur Park. ... Back then, I was kind of like an emotional machine, like whatever was going on inside me would bubble out of the piano and onto paper. 

Read the Wiki pages.  Wow!  Loved reading the back story and what was going on in Webb's life at the time.  

In 1965, Webb was working at an Insurance company.  Multi-tasking artist, like him already.  The song had muti-movements, like classical.  I knew nothing of the connection of The Association.   Liked the story about meeting Richard Harris.  Thank you for telling me about it.

• Like 1

Somone is in a Cold Sweat tonight,

and it ain't Soul Brother Number One. :)

Vautrin, I love "Police on My Back".  Thank you.

I always think of The Clash as the thinking person's Sex Pistols.

Here's a couple of tracks from their monster album ( 3 discs !) Sandanista !   "Magnificent Seven" just rocks along, and "The Call-Up" is a pretty interesting song.

For some reason I love this line from "Magnificent Seven":

"You lot !"

"Wot?"

"Don't stop. Give it all you've got."