Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Read the Wiki pages.  Wow!  Loved reading the back story and what was going on in Webb's life at the time.  

In 1965, Webb was working at an Insurance company.  Multi-tasking artist, like him already.  The song had muti-movements, like classical.  I knew nothing of the connection of The Association.   Liked the story about meeting Richard Harris.  Thank you for telling me about it.

Such an interesting man.  Amazing all he accomplished.  He was so young writing these songs, but seemed to have the perspective of one much older.

Imagine having had the internet then, when it was hard enough to hear all the lyrics, let alone knowing all the personal info about musicians!   

• Like 1

Wishing everyone who celebrates it, a very Happy Fourth of July.

May have posted this last year, but I can't get enough of John Doe's voice.

The only rock song I can think of that's mentions "the Fourth of July" is Chicago's "Saturday in the Park".

My kid recently broke up with her boyfriend of nearly 5 years. Last week she heard this on the CBC station while she was driving and she said it just seemed to leap out at her. As soon as she got home she looked up the video and sent it to me. Terrific song.

• Like 1

Who knows?

IF I could understand what Miss Mushmouth was singin' I might like it too.  The scantily created and uninspiring music sure can't carry it..

Sepiatone

I was gonna crack about your aversion to using soap and water in your ears, but I'll admit that it may take a listen or two to capture her diction completely. As for the other criticisms - "scantily created, uninspired music" - not much point in arguing with someone who knows nothing about the qualities of a really good song.

For anyone else who would like to know what's being sung, here are the lyrics. Reading them while listening reveals everything - and once you're aware, the song (and video) just gets better with each listen. I love the r&b arrangement with just a hint of country. And it's so nice to see real women in a video for a change.

I was taking every hit from you
you drive by shooting son of a ****

and I'm done
Oh whoa, I'm done

Who told you you could rewrite the rules

and do you really take me for a god *amn fool

'cause I'm done
Oh whoa, I'm done

And you can drag me out before some authority
If that's what you have to do to feel like you can punish me
but I can't, I can't, I can't, I can't keep the peace anymore
With your dogs, with your dogs, at my door

You've been punching my weaknesses, slandering my name
you spent all your time trying to place your blame

and I'm done
Ohhh, I'm done

I used to think I hold the best parts of me,
but sew the holes in your life and the cracks in your seams
and I'm done
Oh whoa, I'm done.

And I'm sorry that you don't like your life
I fought for my own victories and for the beauty in my life
My joy, my joy, my joy takes nothing from you
no, my joy, my joy takes nothing from you

Well, you criticize my numbers, you hammer out the rules
wait for me to **** up, and find yourself some proof
and I'm done
Oh whoa, I'm done.

You just soak in the hatred of a sorry line
yeah, you hide behind decorum and a fake smile
and I'm done
Oh whoa, I'm done

And you can drag me out before a judge in authority
if that's what you have to do to feel like you can punish me
but I can't, I can't, I can't, I can't keep the peace anymore

With your doubts, with your doubts, in my door

Well I can't, I can't, I can't, I can't keep the peace anymore
With your dogs, with your dogs, at my door

My kid recently broke up with her boyfriend of nearly 5 years. Last week she heard this on the CBC station while she was driving and she said it just seemed to leap out at her. As soon as she got home she looked up the video and sent it to me. Terrific song.

Sorry about your daughter's break up, darkblue, that's really rough.  Songs like this are something to hold on to, and can help.  I hope she knows it will get better.

And yes, how refreshing to see real women for a change, not the usual video vixens. 

Sorry about your daughter's break up, darkblue, that's really rough.  Songs like this are something to hold on to, and can help.  I hope she knows it will get better.

And yes, how refreshing to see real women for a change, not the usual video vixens. 

She's doing great. She gave this punk every chance in the world to grow up but he couldn't do it. 32 years old, still trying to make a living at IT - still living with his parents and saving nothing. Meanwhile my 30 year-old kid is a licenced professional, has a position with a University, is a full partner in a private therapy practice - counselling families and couples and individuals, and owns her own Condo in North Toronto (well, carrying a mortgage anyway).

Trust me - she's in good shape. She ended it finally when she just couldn't take another of his selfish tantrums. I'm really glad to see her finally move on from that brat. And when I spoke to her a few days ago, she said she was feeling pretty darn good about having liberated herself from his accusing, self-serving nature.

So, it's already better.

• Like 1

At first I thought he was just a novelty-song clown, but then I heard "Funny Man" in 1963 and realized there was more than that.

In 1968, he released an album called "Even Stevens" that featured all-original compositions, produced by Fred Foster (Orbison's producer throughout his Monument years). Some critics were calling Stevens a veritable genius back then.

In any case, he's a gifted vocalist - never more so than when he gets serious.

Yeah, Stevens has long been(and sadly STILL by many) underrated as a singer and songwriter.  "Funny Man" also blew me away in that it was SO different from the Ray Stevens we all came to know and love.

Sepiatone

Thanks for sharing this song and introducing us to Frazey Ford.

Such a unique voice like the late Amy Winehouse.

The lyrics of "Done" must have been inspired by real experience.

"My joy takes nothing from you" is especially powerful. It's amazing to see relationships where one partner is truly bothered by seeing the other one experiencing happiness.

Thanks for sharing this song and introducing us to Frazey Ford.

Such a unique voice like the late Amy Winehouse.

The lyrics of "Done" must have been inspired by real experience.

"My joy takes nothing from you" is especially powerful. It's amazing to see relationships where one partner is truly bothered by seeing the other one experiencing happiness.

Or success.

I think Frazey is a unique singer as well. So nice to hear a singer that doesn't go for that tiresome trilling style so many use to convince people they can sing.

I think Frazey is a unique singer as well. So nice to hear a singer that doesn't go for that tiresome trilling style so many use to convince people they can sing.

Yes, Frazey Ford has a unique voice and a unique singing style absent of that very tiresome quality that is so emulated by AMERICAN IDOL contestants and brings applause from the audience and  judges on that show.  

She's doing great. She gave this punk every chance in the world to grow up but he couldn't do it. 32 years old, still trying to make a living at IT - still living with his parents and saving nothing. Meanwhile my 30 year-old kid is a licenced professional, has a position with a University, is a full partner in a private therapy practice - counselling families and couples and individuals, and owns her own Condo in North Toronto (well, carrying a mortgage anyway).

Trust me - she's in good shape. She ended it finally when she just couldn't take another of his selfish tantrums. I'm really glad to see her finally move on from that brat. And when I spoke to her a few days ago, she said she was feeling pretty darn good about having liberated herself from his accusing, self-serving nature.

So, it's already better.

Good for her.  Sounds like she's worlds better off without him. With the imbalance between them maybe he was resentful of her success--just speculating!  It's great to see people get out of bad relationships.  She (and her papa!) must be relieved. 

I used to see Belly's album in the Columbia House catalogue all the time and wondered what they sounded like. That 'Feed the Tree' song is decent, so I looked them up - they were a rather short-lived group. Only 2 albums, the second of which didn't sell very well and caused their demise.

But, from reading the AMG reviews, their second album actually sounds like it might be better than their first - more rock oriented.

Even though it's not a good movie there's a song by JOHN STEWART heard near the end of SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT Part 3 (1983) called "It Ain't The Gold".  It's hard to hear it, but I can make out enough of it to know I like it.  I like another John Stewart song heard over the closing credits as well called "Ticket for the Wind".  I was able to find a 'Mini-LP' of the "Smokey and the Bandit 3" soundtrack.  It's stamped "For Promotional Use Only", but "It Ain't the Gold" isn't on it.  "Ticket for the Wind" is, however. 

That theme song from the 1983 movie 'LOSIN' IT' is so darn catchy!  I know the movie takes place in 1965 so the 'sound' of the song isn't authentic '65 . . . but I really dig it.  I wish it had been released as a 45' single, but I don't believe it was.

Another tune played over the opening credits of a movie I think is mega-groovy is that song by THE TUBES from 1981's "MODERN PROBLEMS".  It's called "Gonna Get It Next Time".  Just catchy as all get-out! 

I really like that song played over the Prom Scene in 1982's "ZAPPED!" with Scott Baio, Willie Aames, Heather Thomas and Felice Schacter.  It was sung by David Pomeranz.  I found the soundtrack LP to "Zapped!";  it's on the 'Regency' label.  I bought 2 of them, actually.  (I even bought the LP to the beachy 1982 movie "The Beach Girls"; it's on 'Peter Pan' records of all things). 

One day I oughta write down all the songs from the various movies I've seen that I really like cos there's a bunch of them and I'll never be able to recall them all at once.   

Speaking of 'ALL AT ONCE' . . . the co-writer of that Whitney Houston hit died a couple days ago from a stroke in California.  Michael Masser was 74.       

At first I thought he was just a novelty-song clown, but then I heard "Funny Man" in 1963 and realized there was more than that.

In 1968, he released an album called "Even Stevens" that featured all-original compositions, produced by Fred Foster (Orbison's producer throughout his Monument years). Some critics were calling Stevens a veritable genius back then.

In any case, he's a gifted vocalist - never more so than when he gets serious.

Interesting. I first heard "All My Trials" on a Joan Baez album my parents used to play when I was a little kid. Often the music we hear when we're really young stays with us for the rest of our lives, even if we don't hear it for years.  As a kid, I always wondered what exactly it was about, and why the mother was going to die, and what her brothers have to do with it. I took it pretty literally, as young kids sometimes do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfQ0a4gl6hU

What the hell, here's another great song from that same album. John Riley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzk6Psh_EcQ

And another, probably more famous versionL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxkOWS4ky60

Oh, STOP!  Y'all are makin' me feel so OLD!

I HAD that baez LP, too!  Bought it when I was 13(the LP was about three years old by then)

Sepiatone

Well,didn't have the LP, my parents did. I was way too young to be buying albums.  (heh heh.)

• Like 1

I used to see Belly's album in the Columbia House catalogue all the time and wondered what they sounded like. That 'Feed the Tree' song is decent, so I looked them up - they were a rather short-lived group. Only 2 albums, the second of which didn't sell very well and caused their demise.

But, from reading the AMG reviews, their second album actually sounds like it might be better than their first - more rock oriented.

It's fun to discover short-lived groups like Belly.  I feel like there's so much out there I've missed, especially from the early '90s or so through now.    

My family used to visit my mother's cousin on occasion. His

son was an aspiring folkie. So I would be trapped inside his

bedroom while he abused my auditory passages with the

sounds of Peter, Paul and Mary. I was interested in baseball,

monster movies, and Peter Paul Mounds, not some folkie

blague. Who knows, if we had stayed longer, it's possible

he might have pulled out a Joan Baez or even a Richard and

Mimi Farina album to place on the turntable, resulting in a true

coffee house muzak motorpsycho nightmare. Why couldn't

the word meh have come along much earlier?

Sweet Fancy Moses, Vautrin, who knew you hated folk music so much?....Or at least that early 60s brand of folk music.

I dunno, maybe I wouldn't have liked it if I hadn't heard it so much - not only Baez, but yes, Peter Paul and Mary, the Weavers, Pete Seeger, and - perhaps a saving grace even with you?  early Dylan. As I said, my parents played a lot of that stuff, and it just became something I grew up with. Never really considered whether I liked it or not until I was a bit older (when I decided I liked it.)

Thing is, a lot of those musicians sang genuine old folk songs, the ones that were written (if that's the right word) centuries ago. I love the connection with history (cultural,not political, history), and the often strange stories that accompanied these ancient tunes.

I can understand your not liking that kind of music, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "muzak", not even of the coffee house variety.

ps: I've never heard of Richard and Mimi Farina. Maybe they were mediocre, I couldn't say.

• Like 1

This is just for Miss W........ I now have about 500 songs on my ipod, and I always have it on "shuffle", which means the songs come up randomly. Out of all my songs, the one that has played the most in the past month is................"Turn Down Day", by the Cyrkle........ You gotta love it.