Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Ok, NOW you're talkin' my language.  Came of age during the early '60's folk period.  Watched "HOOTENANNY on TV religiously!

Yeah, I'll admit a lot of it WAS kind of hokey, but then, so was R&R back then. 

As a novice guitar player WITHOUT an electric guitar, only a cheezy acoustic, folk music provided a way to learn how to play the damned thing, and also provided both musical and creative release. 

Oh, Try Reading Richard Farina's book "Been Down So Long It Looks Up To Me".  VERY entertaining read.

Also, even though a parody, the Christopher Guest film "A Mighty Wind" is also a good take on the '60's "folk scene".

Sepiatone

This is just for Miss W........ I now have about 500 songs on my ipod, and I always have it on "shuffle", which means the songs come up randomly. Out of all my songs, the one that has played the most in the past month is................"Turn Down Day", by the Cyrkle.

Sounds like your ipod is in need of repair.

Wilco. One of my favourite bands. These guys make such interesting music.

Here's the opening track from their album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot".  It doesn't matter that there's nothing to look at on the video, because there's so much to listen to. So much going on in this song. But it's 7 minutes long, and it does take an attention span to listen to it. Those who do will be richly rewarded. *

I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

*No, not rewarded by me !......I can't be paying people to listen to my music recommendations ! Great music has its own rewards.  (so don't be pm-ing me, anybody, to ask how you get the reward money...)

faceinthecrowd -

Bruce Springsteen and the Brahms Double Concerto

Sounds like an interesting CD. I didn't know the Boss could play the cello. A new departure for him, he'll be doing opera next.

DownGoesFrazier - 'A Girl Like You'. Great song. Edwyn does David Bowie almost as good as David Bowie.

Best wishes
Metairie Road

faceinthecrowd -

Sounds like an interesting CD. I didn't know the Boss could play the cello. A new departure for him, he'll be doing opera next.

DownGoesFrazier - 'A Girl Like You'. Great song. Edwyn does David Bowie almost as good as David Bowie.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Maybe that's why I like it. Bowie is one of my favorite artists.

misswonderly mentioned her parents liking folk musicians, and my mother liked them, too, and played them often.  (My parents saw Bob Dylan in concert during his acoustic days). She sometimes played Buffy Sainte Marie and this haunting song:

I fear I took the title of this thread TOO literally.

Seems that instead of people listing their "favorite music" overall, it seems a thread where folks simply list their favorite music AT THIS MOMENT.

Since I HAVE no "favorite music", and since the music I DO like covers about six or so genres over a 250 year period,  I usually tune in here to see which "tween idol" tripe y'all are listening to in hopes it'll make you appear younger.  Plus, I no longer listen to top 40 pop radio DUE to the large amounts of tripe I hear, so , it's kind of my way to safly tread the waters to see what's polluting the airwaves lately.

COULD have named the thread, "OT: Favorite NEW music"?

Sepiatone

Seems that instead of people listing their "favorite music" overall, it seems a thread where folks simply list their favorite music AT THIS MOMENT.

Since I HAVE no "favorite music", and since the music I DO like covers about six or so genres over a 250 year period,  I usually tune in here to see which "tween idol" tripe y'all are listening to in hopes it'll make you appear younger.  Plus, I no longer listen to top 40 pop radio DUE to the large amounts of tripe I hear, so , it's kind of my way to safly tread the waters to see what's polluting the airwaves lately.

Sepiatone

Favorite music, or favorite music "at this moment"? I don't see what you're driving at.

Posted Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Sepiatone

Oh dear, looks like someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Never mind. this'll cheer you up.

Renee Fleming with her wonderful version of Korngold's 'Marietta's Lied'

Enrique Iglesias - Bailando

What a wonderful top 40 song (970 million hits on youtube), makes me feel young just watching it.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Somehow Sans, I don't think the words "wonderful" and "top forty" belong in the same sentence.  ;)

And sorry, YouTube clips of "millenial muzak" doesn't really cheer me up.

And Dark, since there's supposed to be a concept in these boards that "everyone is entitled to their own opinion"  then I can B!tch abou anything I please, can't I?

Or are you trying to turn this into some kind of candy a$$ed FAKEBOOK page?

Sepiatone

It can, and often has.

Don't worry about coming up with responses to that member. Negative Nelly there just comes around this thread to [...] on our conversations and song choices.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for language
  • Like 1

It can, and often has.

It is POSSIBLE that a great song can be a big seller. Out of the 500 songs I have carefully selected for my ipod, some are obscure, some were moderate hits, and some were big hits. I look for quality only. I could care less how much it sold.

• Like 2