Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

It IS a good song. I don't have it on my ipod because the tempo is too slow. More than half of my ipod's use is when I'm on the spinning bike.

I imagine you need zippier numbers for that frantic pedaling!  Maybe Black Dog or Rock n' Roll?

I don't have the time(at this typing) to watch the clip, but I'm curious if Page ever does either admit to, or even mentions an inspiration by SPIRIT's RANDY CALIFORNIA and his instrumental piece "Taurus".

There's been a huge controversy over that with many claiming Page STOLE the basic theme of  "Taurus" for "Stairway". 

I'm not claiming any belief in any direction as Both seem based a "riff" I've heard in many other tunes before AND since.

Sepiatone

Somehow I missed the whole "Taurus"/"Stairway to Heaven controversy.   I don't remember any lawsuits at the time, but things were more relaxed back then.  Tragic how Randy California (just read he was given his last name by Jimi Hendrix) drowned in Hawaii while saving his son.  By the way, a girl in my high school was married to one of the (non-founding) members of Spirit. I wonder what became of her!

Interesting Raspberries comparison--there is a similarity.  Here's my favorite song of theirs from the same Old Grey Whistle Test appearance.  I might have posted this before, so sorry for any duplication.

Hmm. On that one they remind me of Barclay James Harvest.

I don't know if it's the photo show accompanying, but I like the country tonk version much more than the hit version.

When I look at images of Brian, I feel heartbreak. There's a sweetness to his face that isn't present in any of the others.

I don't know if it's the photo show accompanying, but I like the country tonk version much more than the hit version.

When I look at images of Brian, I feel heartbreak. There's a sweetness to his face that isn't present in any of the others.

It must have broken his heart to be forced out of the band, his band.

This is back when the Stones were great.

"Sittin' in a bar, tipplin' a jar, in Jackson".   Country Honk.

Of course, it's more well-known as this:

Anyway, both versions rock.And the lyrics are funny.

I don't want to soung negative, but the Stones are my favorite band, and this song is one of my least favorite songs by them.Some of my favorites:

Gimme Shelter

Undercover of the Night

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

Shattered

She's So Cold

She Was Hot

Paint It Black

Let's Spend the Night Together

Sympathy For the Devil

I don't want to soung negative, but the Stones are my favorite band, and this song is one of my least favorite songs by them.Some of my favorites:

Gimme Shelter

Undercover of the Night

Street Fighting Man

Jumping Jack Flash

Shattered

She's So Cold

She Was Hot

Paint It Black

Let's Spend the Night Together

Sympathy For the Devil

For sure, lots of great songs in that list, fi.  The only ones I feel lukewarm about are those referring to temperature. 

It must have broken his heart to be forced out of the band, his band.

I had a crush on Brian Jones when I was about twelve. A posthumous crush, since he was already dead by the time I discovered ths Stones. But I thought he was so beautiful (except for those photos that showed huge bags under his eyes from drug excess), so creative, so misunderstood. The perfect crush-worthy combination for an adolescent girl.

But I have heard Brian could be pretty unpleasant. Blame it on the drugs, let's hope. It is truly sad that someone with so much musical potential let it all go down the drain.

For some reason I've recently been re-discovering Let It Bleed. 

The thing about the Stones is,they didn't hesitate to be nasty. In fact, they gloried in it. All the songs on Let It Bleed  are great. But many of them also feature lyrics that make us uncomfortable, even today. A song about a serial killer,Midnight Rambler  (maybe I should post it on the "Psycho" thread), a self-confessed junkie revelling in his own decadence  ( Monkey Man - plus the alarming gutteral screech Mick emits at the song's conclusion), a guy with "nasty habits" ( Live With Me)....Mick and the boys were delightfully unapologetic about their sometimes cringe-worthy themes. And the music was great.

Here's one of my favourites from this landmark album. When I first heard this song, I was so innocent, I didn't know what the hell Mick was talking about in half the lyrics. I thought the reference to "coke" was about the pop drink; and all the sexual allusions went right over my head. Still, even today, potentially offensive lyrics,fantastic music.  Let It Bleed:

• Like 1

MissW, the lyrical content in the songs on "Let it Bleed" were not intended to be offensive.  It was perhaps their intent to be more socially relevant  .  Usually one too deeply awash in candy-azzed political correctness might find them offensive without considering the times in which they were written.  I've always given you credit for more open mindedness MissW---you surprise me.

As for songs that refer to temperature, I guess this means you didn't like "98.6" by KEITH

As for that one photo of the Stones down there----

It's kind of hard, in that shot, to SEE Brian Jones' face, but I concur with all else said about him.  FINE musician and songwriter(penning most of their early hits), and a shame really.  But old pictures and film clips always surprise my wife(who was never into the stones or any of the British "invasion" bands, as she was THEIR age at the time, and into much different music) who can't fathom what could have possibly happened to KEITH RICHARDS over the years.  "He actually wasn't that bad looking back then" she claims.  and continues---"NOW he looks like he's had plastic surgery done with a MEAT TENDERIZING mallet!"  :lol:

DGF, good list of Stones song there.  Lots of MY favorites as well.

I might have added:

"Start Me Up"

"Tell Me"

"Melody"

"Hot Stuff"

"Paint it Black" would be one I'd omit

Sepiatone

MissW, the lyrical content in the songs on "Let it Bleed" were not intended to be offensive.  It was perhaps their intent to be more socially relevant  .  Usually one too deeply awash in candy-azzed political correctness might find them offensive without considering the times in which they were written.  I've always given you credit for more open mindedness MissW---you surprise me......

Sepiatone, I don't know what it is about the way we communicate, but you always seem to misunderstand me.

I was absolutely NOT saying that I was offended by the lyrics from the album Let It Bleed. And I am so NOT politically correct, it's almost embarrassing. Obviously I was not saying that the Stones were "politically incorrect" - a concept that didn't even exist when that album came out. 

And I also wasn't saying that the Rolling Stones - specifically Mick Jagger, the primary lyricist -  were "intending" to be offensive...it was more that they didn't care.

And you know, the lyrics to "Let It Bleed", even today, could make some people feel uncomfortable. Not so much around whether they are "politically correct" or not  (for me, pc-ness doesn't enter into the matter one way or the other), as just the content. Pretty explicit sexual references, which I am not going to spell out. 

I don't think the Stones ever consciously set out to be offensive, or outrageous, or even , as you suggest, the more positive spin, "socially relevant". I think, like most genuinely gifted and creative people, they just wrote what they wrote and played what they played as it came to them. 

They were too good to consciously plan to be "socially relevant". If you're thinking of "Gimme Shelter", a great song, it's just as relevant now, perhaps even more so, than the day it was recorded. And of course I'm not "offended" by it or any other track on that album.

All I meant was, part of what the Stones were all about (at least back then) was basically thumbing their nose at whatever was "proper" or "safe"  - hence the many songs about - and not just "about", but celebrating things like sex and drugs ( and of course rock'n roll).

If you re-read my earlier post, I'm sure you'll see that I never said that I personally was offended by these songs. I'm sure it's not intentional or personal, Sepia, but you do have a way of misinterpreting the things I say, at least when it comes to music. (like that Beach Boys discussion, which we won't revisit.)

EDIT: I just went back and re-read my post. Not once do I use the words "offensive" or "politically incorrect". In fact, I say they "gloried" in being "nasty", and that this was great, their "nasty" songs were great. I say they were "delightfully unapologetic". 

I did use the word "cringe-worthy", perhaps not my best choice. I meant, and still mean, that some of their lyrics on this and other albums did and still can make some feel uncomfortable. I didn't say there was anything wrong with that.

I don't think the Stones ever consciously set out to be offensive, or outrageous

Maybe...little bit (Robert DeNiro here).

They became one of the harder-edge bands in the late 60's onward - a fair bit different from the blues-rock they'd been earlier in the decade when Brian had more influence.

My point is, there were times when I felt they would throw some stuff in that they knew was hard-edged to the point of 'badness' (in the punk sense). Some offensiveness couldm't help but be picked up by some people (some girls!). The album cover of 'Beggars Banquet' alone would indicate a certain direction toward a certain kind of offensiveness. Even the title 'Let It Bleed' had something of an offensive sound to it.

All in good fun, wot.

Thanks for posting that video of 'Far Away Eyes', Vautrin.

Mick really is a great frontman, isn't he? A lot of natural acting talent he has.

It's strange maybe that I have no use for country music - not since the 50's-70''s anyway. New Country just annoys me - I repeat, no use for it.

And yet, when classic rockers do country, I often like it.

You're welcome. It is one of their best country send up songs. I also

like Dead Flowers, which has a country feel and those great lyrics.

I think their early manager Andrew Loo Oldman or whatever his name

was, encouraged them to be, or at least seem to be, a rougher, street-

wise version of the Beatles. They may have gone along with that for

a bit, but then just did what they wanted to do. I like Mick's act, but I

also get a kick out of Wyman's and Watts' barely registering a pulse

vibe. The orginal bathroom wall cover of BB was deleted and the

vanilla one used instead. The album was still great. When I was a

teen I wouldn't listen to country music if you paid me. Gradually I

started to like the older country music of Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb,

George Jones and others. Whenever I hear country music now, it

usually sounds like outtakes from a later Eagles album.

Vautrin,

It was Andrew Loog Oldman. I'm not sure if it was he that coined them the bad boys of rock n roll. Love your take on Bill Wyman.

MissW, the lyrical content in the songs on "Let it Bleed" were not intended to be offensive.  It was perhaps their intent to be more socially relevant  .  Usually one too deeply awash in candy-azzed political correctness might find them offensive without considering the times in which they were written.  I've always given you credit for more open mindedness MissW---you surprise me.

As for songs that refer to temperature, I guess this means you didn't like "98.6" by KEITH

As for that one photo of the Stones down there----

It's kind of hard, in that shot, to SEE Brian Jones' face, but I concur with all else said about him.  FINE musician and songwriter(penning most of their early hits), and a shame really.  But old pictures and film clips always surprise my wife(who was never into the stones or any of the British "invasion" bands, as she was THEIR age at the time, and into much different music) who can't fathom what could have possibly happened to KEITH RICHARDS over the years.  "He actually wasn't that bad looking back then" she claims.  and continues---"NOW he looks like he's had plastic surgery done with a MEAT TENDERIZING mallet!"  :lol:

DGF, good list of Stones song there.  Lots of MY favorites as well.

I might have added:

"Start Me Up"

"Tell Me"

"Melody"

"Hot Stuff"

"Paint it Black" would be one I'd omit

Sepiatone

Can't fathom? Anyone with  a lifestyle like Keith would be lucky not to look even MORE wasted.

Vautrin,

It was Andrew Loog Oldman. I'm not sure if it was he that coined them the bad boys of rock n roll. Love your take on Bill Wyman.

When I used to watch them on Shindig, Hullabaloo, and shows like that in '64 and' 65, it was Wyman who gave me the best kick with his bored gum-chewing, suit-wearing thing. Where the Beatles wore uniforms, smiled and shook their heads all the same, the Stones all dressed differently and affected an individual stance.

I loved being a teen in the 60's. Greatest time to be one EVER!

• Like 2

Years before Girl with the Faraway Eyes the Stones were singing about low-class young women. They seemed to like that theme (don't forget "Stupid Girl", even earlier. Although, despite her lack of intelligence, her socio-economic standing is left open to question.  * )  This is lacking the country twang of Faraway Eyes, but it's a catchy little number. Wonder if Mick's still waiting for that factory girl?

*That makes it sound as though I think anyone of low economic standing is lacking in intelligence. Didn't mean it that way. If that were the case, I'd have an IQ of about 10.

• Like 2

I was joking a bit about his name. It was actually Oldham. Quite a mouthful

no matter what, and it doesn't exactly have a working class sound to it.

But I think he did try to exaggerate the bad boy image of the Stones so as

to garner publicity in the early days. I think Watts was a bit more animated

than Bill Wyman, though they both looked rather bored with the whole proceedings.

I was joking a bit about his name. It was actually Oldham. Quite a mouthful

no matter what, and it doesn't exactly have a working class sound to it.

But I think he did try to exaggerate the bad boy image of the Stones so as

to garner publicity in the early days. I think Watts was a bit more animated

than Bill Wyman, though they both looked rather bored with the whole proceedings.

Yes, apologies to you Vautrin, I'm a bit slow on the uptake some days. Did you happen to catch the movie "Stoned" a few yrs ago? Supposedly at one time a builder for Jones told someone about Brian's death but then retracted his story.

When I used to watch them on Shindig, Hullabaloo, and shows like that in '64 and' 65, it was Wyman who gave me the best kick with his bored gum-chewing, suit-wearing thing. Where the Beatles wore uniforms, smiled and shook their heads all the same, the Stones all dressed differently and affected an individual stance.

I've always felt I should have lived through the 60's not merely born then. Lucky you. Great music and passionate, spirited people. We need more of that today. Great clothes back then too. I have my moccasins and buffalo sandals and I'll never part with them.

It was drummer Charlie Watts, who usually cracked me up, looking the most bored and barely awake.

Can't agree more with being a teen in the '60s!    :)

Sepiatone