Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

From SOME GIRLS, "Shattered" and "Miss You" are both great tracks. That's the period when Mick was spending most of his time in NYC, and the lyrics reflect it.

You'd do better to simply say you like them, as "great" is really a subjective personal opinion.  And MINE on those is, they're NOT so "great". 

But, YOU like them?  That's fine with me, and that's all that should matter to you.  You shouldn't care that I DON'T like them.  I'm NOT telling you that you SHOULDN'T, as I'm sure YOU'RE not intending to imply that I SHOULD.  :)

Sepiatone

You'd do better to simply say you like them, as "great" is really a subjective personal opinion.  And MINE on those is, they're NOT so "great". 

But, YOU like them?  That's fine with me, and that's all that should matter to you.  You shouldn't care that I DON'T like them.  I'm NOT telling you that you SHOULDN'T, as I'm sure YOU'RE not intending to imply that I SHOULD.  :)

Sepiatone

What you are saying reminds me of the constant debates I was having with a former spinning instructor. He kept maintaining that the music he played in his class was "great", and how dare I differ with him, because the greatness of his music was a matter of fact, not opinion. I kept saying that music preference is strictly a matter of opinion, and he looked at me as if he didn't know what I was talking about.

What you are saying reminds me of the constant debates I was having with a former spinning instructor. He kept maintaining that the music he played in his class was "great", and how dare I differ with him, because the greatness of his music was a matter of fact, not opinion. I kept saying that music preference is strictly a matter of opinion, and he looked at me as if he didn't know what I was talking about.

There ARE some(at least ONE) on this board who, if you disagree with THEIR musical preferrence, you get your taste insulted and then get largely ignored.

Look...you don't like the music I DO?  Fine.  There's many who also don't, and that's their right and prerogative.  They DO have to, however, realize that OTHERS also have that same right and prerogative. 

YOUR liking some Stones songs that I can't really stand to listen to shouldn't bother you any.  We both however, DO have an appreciation for much of their  discography, and that should suffice.  After all, I also like LED ZEPPELIN, but also never di care any for "Stairway To Heaven", even though a lot of Zep fans think IT'S their "flagship" song.

Sepiatone

There ARE some(at least ONE) on this board who, if you disagree with THEIR musical preferrence, you get your taste insulted and then get largely ignored.

Look...you don't like the music I DO?  Fine.  There's many who also don't, and that's their right and prerogative.  They DO have to, however, realize that OTHERS also have that same right and prerogative. 

YOUR liking some Stones songs that I can't really stand to listen to shouldn't bother you any.  We both however, DO have an appreciation for much of their  discography, and that should suffice.  After all, I also like LED ZEPPELIN, but also never di care any for "Stairway To Heaven", even though a lot of Zep fans think IT'S their "flagship" song.

Sepiatone

It is my opinion that no two people in North America who select their songs independently have more than a 25% overlap of songs on their ipods.

Never heard of them Dark.  Which of course, could also be a regional thing.  Perhaps some pretentious programmer thought he had his local market figured out, so rejected the singles.  I've heard that many people in this country weren't AWARE of Bob Seger having a muisc career BEFORE "Night Moves".  Probably for the same reason.

There's few Canadian rock groups I'm familiar with,mostly because of the lack of exposure to them.  A local "underground" FM station here in '68 used to play music from a Canadian group called, if memory serves(which it might NOT be) The Great Mandella.  Or, maybe just Mandella, I'm not sure.  The ONLY thing I'm sure of is...

1. I couldn't find any of their recordings in any local shops, and...

2. They WERE amighty fine sounding band!

Yeah, I know GUESS WHO were Canadian, but so that's ONE out of HOW MANY?

Sepiatone

Not sure if this Toronto group got much play in the States, but it had half a dozen singles that charted up here in the early 70's. Group name is Edward Bear.

I on purpose did not delete the link to the youtube vid, as I thought it would be nice if we all listened to it again.

Oh yeah, I remember Edward Bear. It's been a looong time ( since I heard them.) I liked them, although I guess not enough to buy any of their albums. I definitely remember "Masquarade". But "Down in Mexico" was their catchiest. I believe.

Well if the topic of discussion right now is Canadian bands, I love this song:

I know Sepiatone mentioned The Guess Who in a few posts prior.  I love "These Eyes."  I especially love the instrumental track.  It's got a bit of a psychedelic sound and total 1960s and I love it (Yes, I know the song is from the 1960s).  

I also like Rush.  Except their main songs: "Tom Sawyer," "Working Man," and "Limelight" are overplayed on the radio and I've tired of them a bit.  I do love "Fly By Night" though. 

I also enjoy Loverboy and The Band.

• Like 2

Not sure if this Toronto group got much play in the States, but it had half a dozen singles that charted up here in the early 70's. Group name is Edward Bear.

I don't remember them being played on the radio, at least in California. Funny, I knew of a disc jockey in Santa Barbara named Edward the Bear, but I assume there's no connection.

Did a little checking on that Edward Bear single 'You, Me and Mexico'. It was their first, and was a big hit up here - reaching #3 on our Chart.

I'm surprised that it made it to only #68 on America's Billboard Top 100. I always thought it's a great song and very well played.

However, their next single was one of their rockingest - and was excellent, which I hope you'll agree. It was called 'You Can't Deny It' and was also pretty successful up here, reaching #16.

It didn't chart at all in the States, though. I just don't understand that. Judge for yourself.

Note: the LP version of 'You Can't Deny It' runs a minute+ longer.

Don't know this band, System of a Down very well, but I do like this song (2005), especially the sound of the two voices:

Usually this type of music isn't my favorite, but I do enjoy System of a Down's "Chop Suey" song.

There's few Canadian rock groups I'm familiar with, mostly because of the lack of exposure to them.  A local "underground" FM station here in '68 used to play music from a Canadian group called, if memory serves (which it might NOT be) The Great Mandella.  Or, maybe just Mandella, I'm not sure. 

That would be Mandala you're remembering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihcAFwdt0R0

Usually this type of music isn't my favorite, but I do enjoy System of a Down's "Chop Suey" song.

I've heard "Chop Suey," and liked it,but didn't realize it was the same band.  In the last 20 years  or so it's become harder to keep track of it all!

The British band Traffic, helmed by the talented and inventive songwriter/ musician Steve Winwood, never quite got the commercial recognition they richly deserved. They were kind of a "band's band". Here's the title track from their 1973 album, "Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory":

• Like 1

The British band Traffic, helmed by the talented and inventive songwriter/ musician Steve Winwood, never quite got the commercial recognition they richly deserved. They were kind of a "band's band". Here's the title track from their 1973 album, "Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory":

Their best was , IMHO, "Freedom Rider".