Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

There is NO LP in which I am willing to say that the ENTIRE LP is outstanding. Every LP has a few mediocrities.

That's not entirely true, but it IS largely.

But subjectively(and open mindedly) there's very few that I'd put in that stack.

The aforementioned

SPIRIT'S debut album

SECOND WINTER

HEJIRA--Joni Mitchell

APOCALYPSE--Mahavishnu Orchestra

THE FIRST SEVEN DAYS--Jan Hammer

BLACK MARKET--Weather Report

I could probably add a few more, but fear most have never heard or heard of.

Sepiatone

Who's Next

Beggar's Banquet

Let It Be

The Dark Side of the Moon

London Calling

Sublime

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Led Zeppelin ~ ! ^ &

Mars Audiac Quintet

Californication

Technique

et al.

I believe that Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" is the best album ever made, and even that has a few clinkers. I am very opinionated about music, and cannot listen to an entire LP and decide that every song is great, or even good.

I believe that Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" is the best album ever made, and even that has a few clinkers. I am very opinionated about music, and cannot listen to an entire LP and decide that every song is great, or even good.

We're all opinionated about music here. We wouldn't post on this thread if we weren't.  

By "opinionated", I don't mean arrogantly certain that I'm right, and mine is the only opinion that counts. I mean, I - and as I said, I assume all the other regulars on this thread- love music and have strong opinions and feelings about it.  

I went so far as to look it up. I thought the Oxford Dictionary's definition of "opinionated" was too narrow, but I liked the Urban Dictionary's, so I'm copying it here:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

TOP DEFINITION

Someone who isn't afraid to give their personal opinion. It doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's just someone that doesn't stay quiet, if they don't agree with something. 

The only people who see it as bad and attach stigma (like the other definitions) to it are those that don't like to hear opinionated people talk. 

Yes, you can be opinionated and polite at the same time. Being polite doesn't mean you have to agree with every objectionable thing that's said.

Just because I'm opinionated doesn't mean I'm a b*tch. I just like to share my thoughts.

.... I am very opinionated about music, and cannot listen to an entire LP and decide that every song is great, or even good.

So to continue my thought on this, I too am extremely "opinionated" about music. Well, actually, I'd use the word "critical", or "discerning". Yet there are quite a lot of albums I'd say were perfect, that there was not one mediocre song on them.

Vautrin's listed a few I'd cite, too. Too many to mention, really, but just a few are Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks and John Wesley Harding and Time out of Mind,  Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Moondance and Enlightenment,  Sly and the Family Stone's Stand!,  Paul Simon's Graceland,  the Kinks' Something Else, Arthur, and Lola,  the Who's Sell Out,  the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds , the Velvet Underground's Loaded,  XTC's Skylarking, Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, Tom Waits' Raindogs, Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and about a hundred others.

If I love something, I really love it. 

• Like 2

There's nothing unusual or wrong about having opinions.

If one is overbearing with one's opinions, stubbornly insistent upon repetitive and forceful statement of them - or cannot seem to allow anyone else's stated favorites go unchallenged or un-critiqued, one can be what I might refer to as opinionated, and not in a good way.

Where a topic is very serious, it might be understandable to be opinionated in such a way as that - but in matters of simple preference of movie types or music, not so much.

There's also just simple consideration of other people's feelings. I don't see any need to dump on what another person has said they like in a friendly "favorites" thread. It should be enough to have your own equal opportunity to post your own favorites in threads like this one.

So to continue my thought on this, I too am extremely "opinionated" about music. Well, actually, I'd use the word "critical", or "discerning". Yet there are quite a lot of albums I'd say were perfect, that there was not one mediocre song on them.

Vautrin's listed a few I'd cite, too. Too many to mention, really, but just a few are Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and Blood on the Tracks and John Wesley Harding and Time out of Mind,  Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Moondance and Enlightenment,  Sly and the Family Stone's Stand!,  Paul Simon's Graceland,  the Kinks' Something Else, Arthur, and Lola,  the Who's Sell Out,  the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds , the Velvet Underground's Loaded,  XTC's Skylarking, Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska, Tom Waits' Raindogs, Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and about a hundred others.

I agree with your take of loving something.  It really doesn't diminish someone else's appreciation of their "loves". It really isn't a competition.  If you find them perfect, they are perfect.  

I really love this.  

warning:  Sondheim used an expression that is now deemed inappropriate, and he changed it later.

I love "Moondance" (well I haven't heard the whole album, so I can't comment on that). That was the song that my husband and I danced to as our "first dance" at our wedding.  I absolutely love this song. 

I also really love the Pet Sounds album. 

• Like 1

The British band Traffic, helmed by the talented and inventive songwriter/ musician Steve Winwood, never quite got the commercial recognition they richly deserved. They were kind of a "band's band". Here's the title track from their 1973 album, "Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory":

It's nice you brought up Traffic, a band not mentioned much these days.  Their music and special sound fills me with nostalgic for that era.  

• Like 1

Wow. I've heard in full many of the LPs on your list, and, In all of them I feel a wide disparity in the quality of the best song and the worst songs in the LP. For example in "Pet Sounds". "Wouldn't it be Nice", "God Only Knows", and "Caroline No" are great. The rest are basically, IMHO, filler.

Wow. I've heard in full many of the LPs on your list, and, In all of them I feel a wide disparity in the quality of the best song and the worst songs in the LP. For example in "Pet Sounds". "Wouldn't it be Nice", "God Only Knows", and "Caroline No" are great. The rest are basically, IMHO, filler.

Well, fi, I think it's become clear to both of us by now that you and I have very different tastes in music. Maybe we look for (or, I guess, listen for,) different things.

I know we're supposed to accept everyone's differing opinions, etc. etc., and usually I do, or try to. It would be boring if we all liked the same things.

But to say that most of the songs on Pet Sounds are "filler" is just ridiculous. Get a pair of ears.

• Like 1

Well, fi, I think it's become clear to both of us by now that you and I have very different tastes in music. Maybe we look for (or, I guess, listen for,) different things.

I know we're supposed to accept everyone's differing opinions, etc. etc., and usually I do, or try to. It would be boring if we all liked the same things.

But to say that most of the songs on Pet Sounds are "filler" is just ridiculous. Get a pair of ears.

I am just more discriminating :) (or opinionated) than you. If I love something, I really love it. If I don't love it, It drops off a cliff.

To me, the rest of the songs on "pet Sounds" are not very good. Music is 100% a matter of opinion, not fact.  and everyone, not just you and I, has very different tastes in music. Did you see my post about lack of ipod song overlap?

EVERYbody has an opinion when it comes to musical choices.  There are those, however, who can't seem to deal with the fact that not everyone shares THEIR opinion.

Some people look for something in muisc that others don't think that important.

My sister-in-law, for instance, doesn't like ANY music that can't be danced to(althought the ;70's dance troupe The Lockers  claimed to be able to dance to anything).

Now, that sort of thing isn't that important to me.  Plus, discussions like this suffer from a lack of common glossary.

I tried last year to start a thread in the "off topic" room in which members would list songs THEY felt, at least to THEM that afer a lot of years gone by, STILL "Kick  ****".  But, some misunderstood that, and merely provided a list of songs they like.  And, poor SANS FIN had NO idea what I MEANT by "Kicks ****".

Now, there are a LOT of songs 20-30 or more years old that I STILL like, but NEVER neccesarily, EVER "Kicked ****!".

Like MY confusion when I first entered this thread.  Titled "favorite music", which IS a widely general term.  But in THIS case, merely meant "What's your favorite music THESE DAYS?", and not neccesarily a referrence as to genre or artist

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

I am just more discriminating

Nonsense. We're all equally discriminating.

Some music we like, some music we don't like.

Being loud about what one doesn't like doesn't make one's discrimination any more substantive. I've been told by young people that I'm difficult to please when it comes to music. I make no claim that that makes me more discriminating than anyone else. They don't care for "my" music any more than I care for "theirs". It's all personal preference. We're all equally discriminating.

I tried last year to start a thread in the "off topic" room in which members would list songs THEY felt, at least to THEM that afer a lot of years gone by, STILL "Kick  ****".  But, some misunderstood that, and merely provided a list of songs they like.  And, poor SANS FIN had NO idea what I MEANT by "Kicks ****".

I'll chime in, as I don't believe SansFin posts on this thread.  I suspect she knows very well what "kick ****" means (she sure had a kick **** wedding celebration, if you read that wonderful post!) but perhaps holds a different interpretation musically. 

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

I'll chime in, as I don't believe SansFin posts on this thread.  I suspect she knows very well what "kick ****" means (she sure had a kick **** wedding celebration, if you read that wonderful post!) but perhaps holds a different interpretation musically. 

See?  That's just what I mean.  YOU think, based on her post, that she had a "Kick-****" wedding.  But I doubt SHE thought of it in that term.  Funny you mentioned wedding.....

I posted my short interpretation as to what "kicks ****" musically as---

despite it's age, or YOURS, if you hear it on say, your car radio, you can't HELP but crank it way up, and bounce up and down and dance in your seat, or bop your head up and down like Angus Young doing a guitar solo....and generally making your car motivate by your reactive energy only!

SHE then posted some YouTube clip(DAMN I'm friggin' sick of those!) of some old Ukraine tune with the explanation, "Here is a song traditionally played at weddings that would incite people to dance..."  NOT the same thing at ALL!  I even gave a couple (few) examples of such tunes (that worked for ME at least)  Now, several other peple DID respond in tune with the thread vibe, and offered some tunes that DID still "kick ****".

I'll agree with Dark that we all have our own likes and dislikes(funny how someone can suggest that while still rejecting another's opinion), but I never really looked at it as an "OUR music, vs THEIR music" attitude.  I liked much of the music my MOTHER grew up with, and also like some of the stuff I've heard in the last 20 years.  As with people, I take it song-by-song, and don't reject anything due to any particular genre out of hand.  I also have a problem with people who think that YOU think, simply because you don't get into someone as much as THEY do that they're talentless.  As with my sister-in-law, who believed I thought Barbara Streisand WASN'T a good singer because I once said I didn't care for her.  Of course, I only meant that up to that point, I've not heard her sing anything I liked musically.  There are songs we all like and dislike, and it makes NO difference as to WHO sings them.

Now, there's no way in ANY level of honesty that I can claim Ms. Streisand CAN'T sing.  Just that she's so far hasn't sang any song that struck my fancy.  Or quite possibly she has, but I couldn't get into the arrangement.

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

My absolute favorite band is The Doors.  I love Jim Morrison's voice and Ray Manzarek's organ bass lines. 

My absolute favorite Doors song is "Roadhouse Blues," followed by "LA Woman," "Five to One," "Moonlight Drive," and "Love Her Madly."

I know this isn't on the "Pet Sounds" album, but one of my favorite Beach Boys songs is "In My Room."

• Like 1

As mentioned, the only Canadian rock groups I was familiar with were GUESS WHO, and (finally locating them on WIKI) MANDALA.

That POWDER BLUES BAND sounds like it MIGHT be OK---

Hard to TRULY tell due to that CHEEZY YouTube sound quality. :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

My absolute favorite band is The Doors.  I love Jim Morrison's voice and Ray Manzarek's organ bass lines. 

My absolute favorite Doors song is "Roadhouse Blues," followed by "LA Woman," "Five to One," "Moonlight Drive," and "Love Her Madly."

Add to that list, "Break on Through", the first song from their first album. Also, "Peace Frog", "Love Street",  "The End".  "The Soft Parade", and "Riders on the Storm".

Add to that list, "Break on Through", the first song from their first album. Also, "Peace Frog", "Love Street",  "The End".  "The Soft Parade", and "Riders on the Storm".

I really enjoy those other songs you listed too-- especially "Peace Frog" and "The Soft Parade."

The one Doors song I don't care for is "The Alabama Song."

Somehow I couldn't  quote Speedracer's post below.  The Doors are one of my favorites, too.  I remember listening to Light My Fire on the car radio, hoping they'd play the long version.  Usually they only played it late at night during the "underground" hours with Sky Pilot, The Chambers Brothers' Time, and other great, long songs.

Whoops, this won't play for me.  I have a different computer and things aren't the same.  Defeated yet again by technology!  Anyway, this was to be Crystal Ship and Light My Fire as played on American Bandstand in 1967.

• Like 1

Somehow I couldn't  quote Speedracer's post below.  The Doors are one of my favorites, too.  I remember listening to Light My Fire on the car radio, hoping they'd play the long version.  Usually they only played it late at night during the "underground" hours with Sky Pilot, The Chambers Brothers' Time, and other great, long songs.

Whoops, this won't play for me.  I have a different computer and things aren't the same.  Defeated yet again by technology!  Anyway, this was to be Crystal Ship and Light My Fire as played on American Bandstand in 1967.

I do a lot of singing just to keep myself entertained, and the Doors' songs are some of the easiest rock songs to sing. Morrison was really no singer himself.