Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I do a lot of singing just to keep myself entertained, and the Doors' songs are some of the easiest rock songs to sing. Morrison was really no singer himself.

I take exception to that.  Although never a "super" Doors fan, I have to insist that Morrison possesed a rather well oiled vocal instrument.  His vocals on the LP "Waiting For The Sun" aren't really that easy to sing for the average person.  And I'd suggest that anyone who DOESN'T consider "Philly Soul" to be an oxymoron is somewhat below average.  ;)

I do believe you done "spun" yourself into some serious dizziness!

Sepiatone

I'm quite sure that "opinionated" has a bad connotation. It's being quite vocal what about one thinks regardless of evidence and being quite obnoxious about it as well. The Urban Dictionary's definition, as cited, is I guess is a cooler, hipper way of looking at it but it's clearly wrong when compared to standard definitions. I wouldn't use the UD as a reliable source for real-world definitions. And I wouldn't throw "opinionated" around carelessly when referring to friends or myself. It's an insult.

I take exception to that.  Although never a "super" Doors fan, I have to insist that Morrison possesed a rather well oiled vocal instrument.  His vocals on the LP "Waiting For The Sun" aren't really that easy to sing for the average person.  And I'd suggest that anyone who DOESN'T consider "Philly Soul" to be an oxymoron is somewhat below average.  ;)

I do believe you done "spun" yourself into some serious dizziness!

Sepiatone

Well, Doors' songs are easier to sing than Led Zeppelin songs.

I do a lot of singing just to keep myself entertained, and the Doors' songs are some of the easiest rock songs to sing. Morrison was really no singer himself.

Morrison, himself would be the first to say that he didn't consider himself a singer.

While I couldn't imagine Morrison singing standards like Sinatra or Dino, I think he had a great voice for his style of music.  I love how his voice sounds.  It's rich, sorta bluesy and works well for reciting his poetry and singing his poetic songs. 

I just love listening to his voice.

Yeah, you kind of have to have the voice of a high-pitch weasel to match Robert Plant's Led Zep songs.

While I like some of Led Zeppelin's songs, I have to admit that they're definitely not among my top 10, even top 20 favorite bands.  I don't know, they just don't grab me like The Doors and some other bands do.  I can't stand Stairway to Heaven.  I really like Fool in the Rain, Misty Mountain Hop, Ramble On, and Dancing Days.  Though I like Stone Temple Pilot's cover of Dancing Days better.

I do like Jimmy Page's guitar work on the songs.

Perhaps I'm somewhat indifferent to Led Zeppelin due to over-exposure on the radio.  In Portland, on KGON (the classic rock station) everyday at I think 5pm or maybe 7pm, they have to do their "Get the Led out" feature and play like 2-3 Led Zeppelin songs.  They always play the same ones: Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, and Whole Lotta Love (They might play others, but I always seem to hear these three.  They might mix it up occasionally by playing Black Dog instead of one of the other songs). 

https://youtu.be/yIhUNbR9Yao

Somehow I couldn't  quote Speedracer's post below.  The Doors are one of my favorites, too.  I remember listening to Light My Fire on the car radio, hoping they'd play the long version.  Usually they only played it late at night during the "underground" hours with Sky Pilot, The Chambers Brothers' Time, and other great, long songs.

Whoops, this won't play for me.  I have a different computer and things aren't the same.  Defeated yet again by technology!  Anyway, this was to be Crystal Ship and Light My Fire as played on American Bandstand in 1967.

I really like Light My Fire too, although it always seems to be the go-to Doors song on the radio.  The Doors have so many other great songs.  I do like this song though.  I agree that they never seem to play the long version with the big jam session in the middle. 

I love the story about The Doors performing Light My Fire on "The Ed Sullivan Show" and Sullivan asked Morrison to sing "Girl we couldn't get much better" instead of "Girl we couldn't get much higher."  Jim agreed to do so, then on live television, he sang the original lyrics instead of Sullivan's requested lyrics.  After their set, a producer from the show confronted him, informing him how upset Ed Sullivan was and said "You'll never do the Ed Sullivan show again!" Morrison said, "We just did the Ed Sullivan show." LOL.  You go, Jim!

Apparently in the late 60s, the band members agreed to sell Light My Fire to Oldsmobile for a commercial.  However, they didn't bother to ask Jim who they couldn't reach.  When he found out about the deal, he was livid, and the commercial never aired.

I also really love The Doors' cover of Van Morrison's Gloria.  Jim Morrison really makes the song much raunchier and I just love it.  My favorite part is when he screams at the end.  Jim Morrison had one of the all-time great screams in rock.

• Like 1

Morrison, himself would be the first to say that he didn't consider himself a singer.

While I couldn't imagine Morrison singing standards like Sinatra or Dino, I think he had a great voice for his style of music.  I love how his voice sounds.  It's rich, sorta bluesy and works well for reciting his poetry and singing his poetic songs. 

I just love listening to his voice.

For me he had one of the most distinctive, expressive voices in rock.  I remember listening to The End driving in the car late one night and getting goosebumps.

Jimi Hendrix was another who was self-deprecating about his voice, but I could swoon listening to him.  Funny how some so gifted perceive themselves as lacking, while others of lesser talent happily toot their own horns.  

• Like 2

For me he had one of the most distinctive, expressive voices in rock.  I remember listening to The End driving in the car late one night and getting goosebumps.

Jimi Hendrix was another who was self-deprecating about his voice, but I could swoon listening to him.  Funny how some so gifted perceive themselves as lacking, while others of lesser talent happily toot their own horns.  

The point is that most of the Doors' songs are in, like, one octave, and it's difficult to go off-key.  I should know. I try to sing just about everything.

The point is that most of the Doors' songs are in, like, one octave, and it's difficult to go off-key.  I should know. I try to sing just about everything.

"TRY" being the operative word here.  ;)

In another forum I just recalled a bit by comic/actor RICHARD BELZER about wedding bands (back in "the day") and how you'd wind up with some guy with a suave voice trying to sing The Stones' "Satifaction" in a Como type voice, and even correcting the GRAMMAR! ("I can't get any......satisfaction!")  :D

And what did we try to tell you about posting ANYTHING as being the "best"? 

Santana's recorded many very good tunes, "Everything's Coming Our way"  is no doubt among them.  But personally, I feel "Everybody's Everything" is a better tune.  Like 'em BOTH, mind you, but do prefer the latter over the former.

Sepiatone

In another forum I just recalled a bit by comic/actor RICHARD BELZER about wedding bands (back in "the day") and how you'd wind up with some guy with a suave voice trying to sing The Stones' "Satifaction" in a Como type voice, and even correcting the GRAMMAR! ("I can't get any......satisfaction!")  :D

Santana's recorded many very good tunes, "Everything's Coming Our way"  is no doubt among them.  But personally, I feel "Everybody's Everything" is a better tune.  Like 'em BOTH, mind you, but do prefer the latter over the former.

Sepiatone

Right. Sometimes I succeed (as with the Doors' songs) and sometimes I fail........... It should be understood by now that when I say anything is the "best", that means, in my opinion, the best. I'm the one who keeps saying that musical excellence is a matter of opinion, not fact.

Reminds me of a more sublte, less show bizzy version of Everything's

Coming Up Roses. I'll go with the Beatles' tune Good Morning Good

Morning. Quack, woof, meow.

The Rascals' "Beautiful Morning" and U2 's "Beautiful Day" are much better. In fact, so is Sinatra's "All My Tomorrows"

Sepiatone

sprocket man would sing, "I can't get ANY satisfaction", "ISN'T it peculiar?"

The Rascals' "Beautiful Morning" and U2 's "Beautiful Day" are much better. In fact, so is Sinatra's "All My Tomorrows"

And there's this. There's something so simple and - what's the word? vulnerable, almost- about this song, it always gives me that almost- want- to -cry feeling.

• Like 2

Reminds me of a more sublte, less show bizzy version of Everything's

Coming Up Roses. I'll go with the Beatles' tune Good Morning Good

Morning. Quack, woof, meow.

I'll take RITA MORENO'S send up of the song in THE RITZ.......when she sings it in a heavy Puerto Rican accent:

"AV--Ree  Tings Combing Hop R-r-r-r-osses!"   :D   Priceless!

Sepiatone

While I like some of Led Zeppelin's songs, I have to admit that they're definitely not among my top 10, even top 20 favorite bands.  I don't know, they just don't grab me like The Doors and some other bands do.  I can't stand Stairway to Heaven.  I really like Fool in the Rain, Misty Mountain Hop, Ramble On, and Dancing Days.  Though I like Stone Temple Pilot's cover of Dancing Days better.

I do like Jimmy Page's guitar work on the songs.

Perhaps I'm somewhat indifferent to Led Zeppelin due to over-exposure on the radio.  In Portland, on KGON (the classic rock station) everyday at I think 5pm or maybe 7pm, they have to do their "Get the Led out" feature and play like 2-3 Led Zeppelin songs.  They always play the same ones: Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, and Whole Lotta Love (They might play others, but I always seem to hear these three.  They might mix it up occasionally by playing Black Dog instead of one of the other songs). 

A San Diego radio station had a segment, "Plant or Animal?" where they'd play a snippet of a wail, and listeners could call in and guess if it was Robert Plant or a screech from the animal kingdom.  I think I remember people being right about half the time.

• Like 2

Another Canadian (Toronto) group - this one formed in the 90's. This  track is taken from their debut album of 1995 called 'Naveed' (still the best album they ever made, in my opinion).

I had no idea Our Lady Peace was Canadian.  But, "Starseed" is a long-time favorite of mine.

Never heard any other CDs from them though.  But "Naveed" WAS pretty damn good.

Thanks for that info.

Sepiatone