Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Good band, db.  and Canadian.

Interesting how many good bands our American friends like but didn't realize they were Canadian.

speedracer, this one's for you:

My favorite part of the song is when Dave Grohl shouts:

One last thing before I quit

I never wanted any more than I could fit

Into my head I still remember every single word

You said and all the **** that somehow came along with it

Still there's one thing that comforts me since I was

Always caged and now I'm free

And he screams the last line.  Awesome song.

I also love "Learn to Fly" where Dave Grohl plays multiple parts in the video:

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language

Watching/listening to the commentary track of the restored version of TOUCH OF EVIL, Rick Schmidlin mentioned that he had worked on a Doors film. That inspired me to watch THE DOORS COLLECTION, in which he was involved. It's a must for fans of that group.

Music is your only friend/Until the end...

• Like 2

Incidentally, this Cure song is about as "New Wave" as you can get, and the guitar work is great. So much for stereotypes.

Sorry, but as I did like The Cure, the guitar work in the posted tune is just minimally passable.  If you think it's "great", then work by guys like John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny and Bill Frizzell must send you into uncontrollable fits!

Sepiatone

This is Catherine MacLellan, singing "Don't Call Me a Stranger".

I love this kind of music, beautifully, masterfully performed acoustic guitars, playing off each other and creating a deceptively simple soundscape. Especially when backing a tune as evocative as this.

Note the poster in the background.

Sorry, but as I did like The Cure, the guitar work in the posted tune is just minimally passable.  If you think it's "great", then work by guys like John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny and Bill Frizzell must send you into uncontrollable fits!

Sepiatone

The only John McLaughlin I know is the guy who hosted the political talk show.

The only John McLaughlin I know is the guy who hosted the political talk show.

OY!

YOU need to get you some musical ejemuCAtion!   ;)

But, if not a "fusion" guy, you might(if interested) start off with some of his early '80's stuff---Belo Horizonte, or MUSIC SPOKEN HERE.  He's playing an acoustic for these,  and "Belo" has a largely Spanish flavor.  But for some good electric stuff, VISIONS OF THE EMERALD BEYOND is good, or the earlier APOCALYPSE, with the London Symphony Orchestra directed by Michael Tillson Thomas, which some of us McLaughlin fans call a "Concerto for Jazz band and orchestra".

I'd try to find YouTube links, but as YouTube clips have such sh!tty sound, you'd miss all the significant nuances.   ;) 

Sepiatone 

OY!

YOU need to get you some musical ejemuCAtion!   ;)

But, if not a "fusion" guy, you might(if interested) start off with some of his early '80's stuff---Belo Horizonte, or MUSIC SPOKEN HERE.  He's playing an acoustic for these,  and "Belo" has a largely Spanish flavor.  But for some good electric stuff, VISIONS OF THE EMERALD BEYOND is good, or the earlier APOCALYPSE, with the London Symphony Orchestra directed by Michael Tillson Thomas, which some of us McLaughlin fans call a "Concerto for Jazz band and orchestra".

I'd try to find YouTube links, but as YouTube clips have such sh!tty sound, you'd miss all the significant nuances.   ;)

Sepiatone 

I'm not about to become that eclectic. I'm still spending a lot of time listening to classic rock, alternative and soul you tubes trying to add to the already world's greatest ipod.

I'm not about to become that eclectic. I'm still spending a lot of time listening to classic rock, alternative and soul you tubes trying to add to the already world's greatest ipod.

Huh?

You bought an iPod that's better than the other iPods on the market?

And, don't you realize Steve Jobs and APPLE became so successful by proving that P.T.Barnum was right?  

Or are you still laboring under the delusion that you possess some kind of superior musical taste?   ;)

Sepiatone

Huh?

You bought an iPod that's better than the other iPods on the market?

And, don't you realize Steve Jobs and APPLE became so successful by proving that P.T.Barnum was right?  

Or are you still laboring under the delusion that you possess some kind of superior musical taste?   ;)

Sepiatone

My claim is that  if I and anyone else listened to each other's ipods, that person would like my songs better than I would like their songs. Maybe that's because of my unique taste. I either love something, or don't like it at all. :)

My claim is that  if I and anyone else listened to each other's ipods, that person would like my songs better than I would like their songs. Maybe that's because of my unique taste. I either love something, or don't like it at all. :)

That's a fairly pretentious claim, DGF.

Fact is, the music YOU like is NO BETTER than the music I like.

And subsequently, MINE is no better than YOURS.

They're both DIFFERENT.

Sepiatone 

That's a fairly pretentious claim, DGF.

Fact is, the music YOU like is NO BETTER than the music I like.

And subsequently, MINE is no better than YOURS.

They're both DIFFERENT.

Sepiatone 

But you would like my music better than I would like your music. :)

I have 3 of Laura's 4 Columbia albums on re-mastered cd's. The one I'm missing at the moment is 'Christmas and the Beads of Sweat'. I'll have to make a point to get it soon.

Did you know she was a performer at Monterey?

Listening to her always makes me feel sad, though. Retiring in 1971 took her out of the game at a time when her enormous success as a songwriter had developed for her a real following.

• Like 1

I have 3 of Laura's 4 Columbia albums on re-mastered cd's. The one I'm missing at the moment is 'Christmas and the Beads of Sweat'. I'll have to make a point to get it soon.

Did you know she was a performer at Monterey?

Listening to her always makes me feel sad, though. Retiring in 1971 took her out of the game at a time when her enormous success as a songwriter had developed for her a real following.

I'd forgotten that, and just watched her performance on YouTube.  (Funny how you go for one song and spend hours there.)  It should have been included in the film.  Wonder what else they left out?

Such a gifted, beautiful person.

Such a gifted, beautiful person.

I can say first hand that Laura certainly was a gifted and beautiful person. My sister and Laura were close friends when they were children and young teens. They kept in touch sporatically thru the years. I was younger than my sister and Laura but I remember her clearly. She was sweet, lovely and enormously talented. GD, Stoney End has been in my head for a couple days (you know why) LOL, now can't stop singing it to myself  ;)

• Like 2

Ah, YES!

In the early days of "underground" FM radio, Laura was a favorite of many around here.  It kind of "tickled" us and simultaneously saddened us to hear the tepid and lamely rendered "covers" of many of her tunes.

And, many thanks to DARKBLUE for reminding me how sorely lacking my CD collection is.  I'm gonna have to move my azz and get my long lost Laura vinyl replaced! 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I can say first hand that Laura certainly was a gifted and beautiful person. My sister and Laura were close friends when they were children and young teens. They kept in touch sporatically thru the years. I was younger than my sister and Laura but I remember her clearly. She was sweet, lovely and enormously talented. GD, Stoney End has been in my head for a couple days (you know why) LOL, now can't stop singing it to myself  ;)

What a clear, pure sound she had, for lack of better description.  I'm singing it to myself as I read this. :)Worse (way worse) songs could be stuck in one's head! 

I discovered the wonderful music of Laura Nyro in the early 2000's.

It's difficult for me to pick a favorite (I've never heard a recording of hers that I disliked) , but I really love "Stoned Soul Picnic."

I even love the alternate lyric (radio) version of "Stoney End"  (which removes the lines "I was raised on the good book Jesus/ Till I read between the lines").

• Like 1

Ah, YES!

In the early days of "underground" FM radio, Laura was a favorite of many around here.  It kind of "tickled" us and simultaneously saddened us to hear the tepid and lamely rendered "covers" of many of her tunes.

And, many thanks to DARKBLUE for reminding me how sorely lacking my CD collection is.  I'm gonna have to move my azz and get my long lost Laura vinyl replaced! 

Sepiatone

Laura was a big favorite on several campuses in PA and NJ circa 1970.