Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I discovered the wonderful music of Laura Nyro in the early 2000's.

It's difficult for me to pick a favorite (I've never heard a recording of hers that I disliked) , but I really love "Stoned Soul Picnic."

I even love the alternate lyric (radio) version of "Stoney End"  (which removes the lines "I was raised on the good book Jesus/ Till I read between the lines").

My favorite was "Luckie".

I discovered the wonderful music of Laura Nyro in the early 2000's.

You've probably heard many Nyro tunes and didn't realize it

DON'T tell me you've never hear Blood Sweat and Tears' "And When I Die" before!  OR three Dog Night's butchering of "Eli's Coming".  Or The 5th Dimension's pasteurized renderings of "Save The Country",  "Wedding Bell Blues" and "Stone Soul Picnic"?

If NOT, then you've lived a blessed life, my friend.

Sepiatone

You've probably heard many Nyro tunes and didn't realize it

DON'T tell me you've never hear Blood Sweat and Tears' "And When I Die" before!  OR three Dog Night's butchering of "Eli's Coming".  Or The 5th Dimension's pasteurized renderings of "Save The Country",  "Wedding Bell Blues" and "Stone Soul Picnic"?

If NOT, then you've lived a blessed life, my friend.

Sepiatone

..or Streisand's version of "Stoney End".

I have a question...... My ipod is always on "shuffle", When certain songs haven't come up in a while, I listen to them on youtube. I just tried to listen to the studio versions of Hendrix' "Stone Free" and "Are you Experienced", and am amazed to find that there are only "live" youtube versions. There used to be studio versions. Why would they have been removed? This sort of thing has never happened before.

I really like Bonnie Raitt.  I love her bluesy voice and she's a great blues guitarist.

Her classic, "Something to Talk About" is one of my favorites.

I started "crushing" on Bonnie back in '69 when I saw her on some TV show where she was featured by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.  Blew me AWAY!

It was still kind of uncommon to see female electric guitar players back then, let alone playing "slide".  She DO have serious chops!

Sepiatone

Seriously, as a LOOONNNGGG time "Jimi freak", I gotta say---

"Stone Free" is one Hendrix tune I really couldn't get into.

AND, I understand the man himself didn't really care for it all that much.  In the four Hendrix concerts I've attended, he never ONCE played it.

Sepiatone

Speaking of Marty Balin, which version of "Wooden Ships" do like like better, the Airplane or C, S & N? They are both great. I have a slight preference for the Airplane version.

For me it's the C, S, & N version.  There's something about the guitar and voices that just transports me.  But Jefferson Airplane's version is good, too--maybe if I'd heard it first I'd feel differently.

https://youtu.be/Jv7FNyckr7w

p.s.  My new computer doesn't seem to allow me to post videos with the video and red arrow showing, rather than the link.   Something to figure out.

Yeah, and even now, we should feel lucky that the "future" of rock'n'roll didn't wind up like displayed on "The Jetsons"

Now, sorry I can't post a clip, or even the link, but who remembers JET SCREAMER and his BIG HIT----

"EEP, OPP, ORK, AH-AH!"  :lol:  :wacko:

Oh, and YEAH, Dark....ALWAYS loved the Temps!  Remember, I LIVE 'round MOTOWN!

Sepiatone

I love The Temptations! Music from the 60s and 70s was the best.  

My husband, who primarily listens to metal, but appreciates a wide array of different genres of music, loves The Temptations.  He especially likes "A'int too Proud to Beg." 

I enjoy this song:

The Stones did a couple covers of The Temptations, but they definitely weren't as good as the original versions.

• Like 2

Yeah, and even now, we should feel lucky that the "future" of rock'n'roll didn't wind up like displayed on "The Jetsons"

Now, sorry I can't post a clip, or even the link, but who remembers JET SCREAMER and his BIG HIT----

"EEP, OPP, ORK, AH-AH!"  :lol:  :wacko:

Oh, and YEAH, Dark....ALWAYS loved the Temps!  Remember, I LIVE 'round MOTOWN!

Sepiatone

I can't remember The Jetsons band, I was more into The Wayouts from The Flintstones ;)

I love The Temptations! Music from the 60s and 70s was the best.  

My husband, who primarily listens to metal, but appreciates a wide array of different genres of music, loves The Temptations.  He especially likes "A'int too Proud to Beg." 

I enjoy this song:

The Stones did a couple covers of The Temptations, but they definitely weren't as good as the original versions.

The best Temptations material was the Norman Whitfield-produced songs of the late-'60s-early '70s----Cloud 9, Ball of Confusion, Papa Was a Rolling Stone, Masterpiece......... Great.

Oh yes, Kayla - 'Just My Imagination' might have been the most gorgeous song of their entire catalogue. Sweet and sad.

Thought you might like this extended version - it's fabulous, I think.

Great song, but I tend to prefer the heavier stuff.

I suppose as a testament to somebody at Motown, or WHOMever,  The Temps were one of the few vocal groups who were able to survive for more years than thought possible even after some original singers leaving and being replaced with younger unknowns.  The newer singers were able to replicate both the SOUND of the originals, and the VIBE as well!

Of course, it helps to have an excellent SONGBOOK to fall back on!

As DGF would say, (and perhaps he should change his forum name to "Tony Tiger" ), they're GREAT!  :D

Sepiatone

I suppose as a testament to somebody at Motown, or WHOMever,  The Temps were one of the few vocal groups who were able to survive for more years than thought possible even after some original singers leaving and being replaced with younger unknowns.  The newer singers were able to replicate both the SOUND of the originals, and the VIBE as well!

Of course, it helps to have an excellent SONGBOOK to fall back on!

As DGF would say, (and perhaps he should change his forum name to "Tony Tiger" ), they're GREAT!  :D

Sepiatone

Smokey Robinson was writing a lot of the Temptations' songs when David Ruffin was one of the lead singers. Then Norman Whitfield took over around the time that Dennis Edwards re[placed Ruffin. Eddie Kendricks was the tenor lead singer through it all.