Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Oh yes, Kayla - 'Just My Imagination' might have been the most gorgeous song of their entire catalogue. Sweet and sad.

Thought you might like this extended version - it's fabulous, I think.

Thanks for sharing this with me! It is a beautiful song.

The 1960s seem to have been the time for all the great girl groups.

This song has always been a (not so) guilty pleasure of mine:

The Shangri-Las "Leader of the Pack." 

...I met him at the candy store.  He turned around and smiled at me, you get the picture... 

The Shangri-Las were known to be one of the tougher girl groups.

Traveling with other acts on the road, some of the males from the other groups found that out. Messing with those girls could get you cut.

They were awesome.

• Like 1

...I met him at the candy store.  He turned around and smiled at me, you get the picture... 

Heh!

How many remember the follow up parody, "The Leader Of The Laundromat"?

Or National Lampoon's send-up on the "Lemmings" LP of a girl singer caricature named "Goldie Oldie" doing a song similar to it?

Sepiatone

Phil Spector led the "charge" of the girl groups. Most of his early '60s productions were recorded by the Ronnettes or the Crystals. In addition, these were the Dixie Cups, the Angels, and possibly the most successful of all, the Shirelles.

Jeff Lynne once said that when the Beatles broke up his group took its inspiration from imagining what the Beatles sound might have been evolving to. Lynne always did sound like he was trying to do his best McCartney - never more noticeable than on the 1975 'Face the Music' album.

I only discovered her work in the early 2000s.

She made a great album with Labelle that includes the following songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvzXVFRbWUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CoN9PyoU80

Part of the reason Nyro didn't achieve greater fame was her indifferent concert performances. Great songwriter and singer, though..

I really like Bonnie Raitt.  I love her bluesy voice and she's a great blues guitarist.

Her classic, "Something to Talk About" is one of my favorites.

Hey, speedy, this  is a coincidence ! For some reason I was thinking of this song the other day - have no idea why it came into my head, haven't thought of it in a long time - and thought I'd post it here. It's a good song. I love the kind of syncopated rhythm she gives to it with her timing/phrasing (whatever it's called.)   So imagine how cool it was for me to see that you'd had the same "earworm" a couple of weeks earlier !

Usually when I quote someone's post here, I delete the song, because after all, usually we've just heard it in the original post. But I like "Something to Talk About" so much, I thought I'd just leave it in.

edit: Actually, I decided to post the studio version, just for a change.

• Like 1

I used to love Patti Smith. Ah, those late 70s American punk years. Here's a track from one of her albums from those days. I used to sing along to this, if you can imagine (probably better not to.)

Ask the Angels.

..not to be confused with Patti Smyth, lead singer of Scandal ("Goodbye to You")

Sorry, fi, never heard of that other Patti SmYth, nor "Scandal", nor "Goodbye to You". So much music, so little time.

I only know her because the 'Goodbye to You' video played in an episode of Beavis and Butthead. They made fun of the group and of her (no surprise there).

All I know is that, looking at pictures of her from then and from now, it's a cruel crime what time can do to a cute chick.

I really liked Patti Smith's version of Bruce Springsteen's "Because the Night." 

Has anyone read the book that she wrote about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe? 

• Like 1

My jazz bandmates and I always used to laugh when someone would request that we play something "fast" as we knew they meant rock and roll, but in reality rock and roll isn't fast. Flight of the Bumblebee is fast. And then they'd request something heavy and I usually would play a Django Reinhardt styling of something like Both Sides Now and they wouldn't even recognize it and thought it was something from the B-side of Jimi's great version of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. Remembering that Django played even with two fingers fused together from him being in a fire is inspirational.

I only know her because the 'Goodbye to You' video played in an episode of Beavis and Butthead. They made fun of the group and of her (no surprise there).

All I know is that, looking at pictures of her from then and from now, it's a cruel crime what time can do to a cute chick.

Being married to McEnroe can age you quickly. Have you seen what Tatum O'Neal now looks like?

My jazz bandmates and I always used to laugh when someone would request that we play something "fast" as we knew they meant rock and roll, but in reality rock and roll isn't fast. Flight of the Bumblebee is fast. And then they'd request something heavy and I usually would play a Django Reinhardt styling of something like Both Sides Now and they wouldn't even recognize it and thought it was something from the B-side of Jimi's great version of Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. Remembering that Django played even with two fingers fused together from him being in a fire is inspirational.

Y'know, and maybe a suggestion if you ever get such a request again.

Just jump into "Salt Peanuts"!  :D   Actually almost any number of Charlie Parker compositions would work.  :)

Sepiatone

Y'know, and maybe a suggestion if you ever get such a request again.

Just jump into "Salt Peanuts"!  :D   Actually almost any number of Charlie Parker compositions would work.  :)

Sepiatone

I ride the spinning bike to my ipod, so I'm very conscious of the beats per minute. My ipod is almost exclusively rock and soul, yet Benny Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" has one of the highest BPMs of any of my songs.

I ride the spinning bike to my ipod, so I'm very conscious of the beats per minute. My ipod is almost exclusively rock and soul, yet Benny Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" has one of the highest BPMs of any of my songs.

Well then, DGF, forget "Salt Peanuts", as it's even faster than Goodman's "Sing, Sing, Sing"  Which is really not much faster(if at all) than Louis Prima's original.

But, just dig up a listen on "Jazz At Massey Hall" for "Salt Peanuts" as delivered by Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespi, Max Roach, Bud Powell and Charlie Mingus for a treat in terms of "be-bop" jazz.

Sepiatone

Well then, DGF, forget "Salt Peanuts", as it's even faster than Goodman's "Sing, Sing, Sing"  Which is really not much faster(if at all) than Louis Prima's original.

But, just dig up a listen on "Jazz At Massey Hall" for "Salt Peanuts" as delivered by Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespi, Max Roach, Bud Powell and Charlie Mingus for a treat in terms of "be-bop" jazz.

Sepiatone

135 RPM is as fast as my legs can go.