Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I really liked Patti Smith's version of Bruce Springsteen's "Because the Night." 

Has anyone read the book that she wrote about her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe? 

We're on the same wavelength, too, as I've been meaning to read that book.  Recently I read a chapter of her new book, and really like her way with words.

Apres le declin.

I love X.  Saw them in concert a couple times in small clubs and they were great.  Exene was very talkative one of the times.  By the way, I recently read that Billy Zoom is battling the Big Bad, so good thoughts for him.

• Like 1

Had to get up and dance around my living room. B)

One of the best lines in all of songdom:  "Yeah, you know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself."  Love Lonesome George!

I've listened to that one with a shot glass in my hand more often than I care to admit.

• Like 2

There is, and should be, a big disparity in how much rock critics like particular songs and albums, and how much I like them. Critics give great weight to the meaningfulness of the lyrics. I do not. I focus  on the music, and mostly how the lyrics sound. In most cases, I do not think much about the meaning of the lyrics.

There is, and should be, a big disparity in how much rock critics like particular songs and albums, and how much I like them. Critics give great weight to the meaningfulness of the lyrics. I do not. I focus  on the music, and mostly how the lyrics sound. In most cases, I do not think much about the meaning of the lyrics.

Um......not me....

I've often heard tunes with really good music but then get ruined with banal and insipid lyrics.  Often made me wonder why they just didn't release the tune as an instrumental.  Or why they bothered recording it at all.

Sepiatone

Um......not me....

I've often heard tunes with really good music but then get ruined with banal and insipid lyrics.  Often made me wonder why they just didn't release the tune as an instrumental.  Or why they bothered recording it at all.

Sepiatone

I DO notice "banal and insipid" lyrics. But if lyrics "sound" good, I don't go much further to try to analyze their meaning. Most of Steely Dan's lyrics sound good, but sometimes I don't have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

I like the slightly menacing sound.  A good Halloween song!

It's hard to believe it's been like 7 years since I first saw them perform that song on Conan. I'm talking about the old Conan late-night show on NBC.

The rhythm grabbed me quickly and it took a couple of minutes for it to register on me that the singer seemed to be chanting "satan, satan, satan, satan" insistently but melodically (and it registered to me as satirically, not seriously) - and at least two of them were hopping and bopping all over the stage. I thought "what the hell are they singing about?"

I loved it - it was joyous - and I immediately wrote down the name "clap your hands say yeah" on a notepad file - and then generally let them slip my mind.

I loved it - it was joyous - and I immediately wrote down the name  on a notepad file - and then generally let them slip my mind.

Yeah.  You could paper your living room with the little notepad sheets I jotted stuff down on and forgot about.  Song titles, band and/or performer's names, movie names, reminders of stuff to research online.  All like that.

My wife, who is of Mexican heritage, has fun calling me "Senor Moment" (I can't do that little mark above the "n")  :D

Sepiatone

Lately, I've been into the more low-key late 60s-mid 70s music.  The singer-songwriter era, if you will.  

While this isn't a singer/songwriter song, I really like CCR.  I like John Fogarty's voice and the bluesy sound of their songs.  Though I'm somewhat tired of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" and "Proud Mary" as those seem to be the only CCR songs that are played on the radio.  

They have a lot of other great songs.  

This one is one of my favorites:

"Long As I Can See the Light." 

Trent Reznor's version of "Bela Lugosi's Dead":

And the original by Bauhaus:

Originally done by Bauhaus, and considered by some (I don't like it) to be the best goth-rock record. For that sub-category, the best, IMHO, might be "Christine", by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Maybe.....

IF you (or ANYONE for that matter) CAN actually determine a "best" in that genre.

I imagine it would require a severe absence of musical taste just to be able to listen to it ambiently.

Plus, I have much difficulty believing so many people here are as well versed in as many things as they seem to try to project they are.

Sepiatone