Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I see Frankie's the only boy on your list, so does that mean you

like songs you can sing along to.best?

well yes, i looove to sing to everything, literally, and i can sing better to the female voices obviously, ;)..my entire family constantly teases me about singing anywhere and everywhere. heehee! hey, i can't help myself. i just love to do it! i cant ever not sing to a song playing when i actually know it, unless my throat is bothering me. i actually do love to sing to a lot of male voices too, especially frankie's music, b/c then i love harmonizing with him. i also love harmonizing to Dean Martin, but i love frankie's voice more.

I like Peggy Lee's

"It's a Good Day" as well, and also her version of "Pass Me By"

(the theme song from Cary Grant's Father Goose).

i love that song! thanks for the clip dahlink! Peggy Lee sang a lot of good songs.

Bon soiree, dahlink!

>

> well yes, i looove to sing to everything, literally, and i can sing better to the female voices obviously, ;)..my entire family constantly teases me about singing anywhere and everywhere. heehee! hey, i can't help myself. i just love to do it! i cant ever not sing to a song playing when i actually know it, unless my throat is bothering me. i actually do love to sing to a lot of male voices too, especially frankie's music, b/c then i love harmonizing with him. i also love harmonizing to Dean Martin, but i love frankie's voice more.

>

And I'm sure they love harmonizing with you---or would if they could. ;)

I definitely prefer singing along to standards more than to contemporary songs. I don't

know why. I enjoy listening to both almost equally.

> I like Peggy Lee's

> "It's a Good Day" as well, and also her version of "Pass Me By"

> (the theme song from Cary Grant's Father Goose).

>

> i love that song! thanks for the clip dahlink! Peggy Lee sang a lot of good songs.

Peg is my favorite of the girl singers, along with Ella.

well yes, i looove to sing to everything, literally, and i can sing better to the female voices obviously, ;)..my entire family constantly teases me about singing anywhere and everywhere. heehee! hey, i can't help myself. i just love to do it! i cant ever not sing to a song playing when i actually know it, unless my throat is bothering me. i actually do love to sing to a lot of male voices too, especially frankie's music, b/c then i love harmonizing with him. i also love harmonizing to Dean Martin, but i love frankie's voice more.

Theresa,

Sounds like your friends must love going to karaoke bars with you. ;)

Personally I like to sing a lot, too, except usually not in the company of others, because I think I have too much respect to torture friends and acquaintances like that! :P

*Theresa,*

*Sounds like your friends must love going to karaoke bars with you.*

hi michaela,

im too young to go to bars silly. i dont think ill be a bar type person even when im old enough to go to them.

good day dahlink!!

*And I'm sure they love harmonizing with you---or would if they could.*

hey, frankie knows i love to sing with him, he just isnt here to realize it. yeah thats it. heehee!

*I definitely prefer singing along to standards more than to contemporary songs. I don't*

*know why. I enjoy listening to both almost equally.*

the standards are so much fun to listen to and to sing to.

*I like Peggy Lee's*

*"It's a Good Day" as well, and also her version of "Pass Me By"*

*(the theme song from Cary Grant's Father Goose).*

*i love that song! thanks for the clip dahlink! Peggy Lee sang a lot of good songs.*

*Peg is my favorite of the girl singers, along with Ella.*

peggy and ella are definitely on my list! how about we create a list of our favorite male and female singers? i love lists! heehee!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> hi michaela,

>

> im too young to go to bars silly. i dont think ill be a bar type person even when im old enough to go to them.

>

> good day dahlink!!

>

Ah, well, there are other places to sing. ;)

good day to you, too, dahlink!!! B-)

Good evening, Bronxie! -- Neil Young and Simon & Garfunkel, eh? So are

you a fan of each or do you just like those particular songs? I've never heard either

song before.

Hey there, Musicman! -- So would you say you are more familiar with movies

or music? I'm very impressed with your knowledge in both worlds, but the kind of

details you have shared about music has amazed me.

Thanks for posting "The Rainbow Connection." My wife and daughter love that

song so when I get time to play the piano at home that is one of those that make

an appearance.

That's fantastic! That song breaks me up whereas most songs do not.

"The lovers, the dreamers and me."

Beautiful words.

And, for the record, I like Michael McDonald quite a bit. But I knew of him from the

80s before I heard him with the Doobie Brothers.

"Sweet Freedom" is my favorite of his, but I also like this one a lot:

Hola, Butterscotchkins! -- Let me take a gander at your "happy" list.

1) "Down with Love" ~ Barbra Streisand

2) "The Best is Yet to Come" ~ Judy Garland and Liza Minelli

3) "Everybody Loves A Lover" ~ Doris Day

4) "Honeysuckle Rose" ~ Lena Horne

5) "Pocket Full of Sunshine" ~ Natasha Bedingfield

6) "I've got the World on a String" ~ Frankie Sinatra

7) "Anything Goes" ~ Patti Lupone

8) "She's Ma Daisy" ~ Greer in Random Harvest....you know i had to add that one in there. heehee!

9) "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" ~ Andrews sisters

10) "It's a Good Day" ~ Peggy Lee

Now I'm sad! :(

"She's Ma Daisy"? That's a song that would send anyone straight into the dumps. The trash dump! :P

Streisand? Garland & Minnelli? All we needed was Celine Dion and I would have been

depressed for days.

Ohhh, it could be even worse. You could have sent me to Smithy's ward with this:

>Hey there, Musicman! -- So would you say you are more familiar with movies

>or music? I'm very impressed with your knowledge in both worlds, but the kind of

>details you have shared about music has amazed me.

Thanks again. I'm really flattered. This sounds stupid but for what I know I know pretty well. The problem is that I don't have a very broad range of musical styles (or movies) I listen to. I listened to a lot of things when I was in high school and after but after a point I lost interest in anything beyond the artists I was interested in. I love classical music too. It's the same with movies. I don't know anything about horror, foreign or much about silent pictures. What I know is probably fairly narrow compared to some people on this board, you included. I hope that is answer enough. I love music. I really enjoy making it and I'm always looking to write the next good song. (Once in awhile I get one.)

BTW, as stupid facts go the Paul Simon song Barbara listed "American Tune" is based on a melody by Bach. So three hundred year old tunes still work.

Rohanaka: probably favorite solo...Sweet Freedom

FrankGrimes: Sweet Freedom" is my favorite of his,

Copycat! :D Ok..seriously now though...it is a fun song.

Just for you:(ok..maybe me too) this one has a little bit of an extended version to it...pretty nice guitar solo at the end...don't know who the guy is...but the BASS player....looks like a "shaggy" Wiliiam H. Macy...maybe he was moonlighting! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXKJSJVohX8&feature=related

April and Miss Butterscotch....nice happy songs lists....

"Jump!" - Van Halen

HA....I have such fond memories of this song...when it first came out I was working a summer job as a "summer camp worker" at a private school and I remember we used to take the kids swimming....and the pool always had music playing...whenever this song came on, the kids would all scramble out and get on the edge and "jump" when he says..."Might as well jump" and then they would climb back out really fast and do it all over again....it was so cute.

I have way too many "happy songs" to make a list....but two I know for sure that would be on it, because they make me smile absolutely every time:

Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy and Little River Band's Reminiscing. :-)

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy and Little River Band's Reminiscing. :-)

Thank you, Kathy, for reminding me of one of the catchiest tunes of my lifetime. Yes, I'm referring of course to "Don't Worry Be Happy". I remember back when I was in school some folks just listened to it day and night. Although I remember at the time I was a bit annoyed by the song's overexposure, I still enjoy listening to it from time to time.

Bonsoir, Bronx Fleur! -- I date myself with those selections, don't I, lol?

Not at all. At least you have good taste. Me, on the other hand...

I do like S&G and Neil Young in general.

So who are your very favorite musical artists?

Guess I'll go back to my rocking chair now.

Perfect! A " rockin' " chair is exactly what we need in a music thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEvOk0i7eYU&feature=related

Happiness is a tune called...

1. *Heaven and Back* -- The Mekons

2. *Cruel to Be Kind* -- Nick Lowe

3. *Heavenly Pop Hit* -- The Chills

4. *Lovesick Blues* -- Hank Williams

5. *You've Got That Thing* -- Bobby Short

6. *Tain't What You Do* -- Jimmy Lunceford & His Orchestra (Vocal: Trummy Young)

7. *Cupid* -- Sam Cooke

8. *Kiss Me, Baby* -- The Beach Boys

9. *Sixty Minute Man* -- The Dominoes

10. *Take Me to the River* -- (tie) Al Green, Syl Johnson, The Talking Heads

Hey Frank! That Gwen McCrae song is one of my favorites; how did you really know, LOL??

My tastes are eclectic; oh, heavens, where do I start: ELO (Sweet Talkin' Woman), Question Mark & the Mysterians (96 Tears), The Beach Boys,

Hall & Oats, The Doobie Bros., CS&N, the Eagles, Van Morrison, Gene Pitney, Marvin Gaye (especially What's Goin' On), Curtis Mayfield (love the soundtrack for the film CLAUDINE), Keely Smith (with or w/o Louis), Benny Goodman, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, the Gypsy Kings, Roy Orbison, Mario Lanza, Nelson Eddy, Emilio Pericoli, Connie Francis, Rolling Stones (especially Beast of Burden), Nirvana, Anita Baker, Aretha Franklin, the Shirelles (Mama Said), Al Green, Steely Dan, and on and on....

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

>

>

I have been a fan of Bobby Darrin and "Beyond the Sea" since I was a teen. Did anyone else watch the movie that came out a few years ago, with Kevin Spacey playing Darrin? It wasn't a perfect performance, but pretty good I thought.

Message was edited by: route66

Thanks, Kathy! Yeah, Ethel must have had a good sense of humor, LOL.

There should be a category, "Famous Actors Who Removed Their Dentures: (Walter Brennan, RIO BRAVO, Walter Huston, THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, etc.)